1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you want to hear on a queer youth radio program?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Maddy, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Next weekend, I start training to become a radio presenter for a weekly show by and for queer youth. I don't know for sure what the content will be, but I think it's a discussion show on various relevant topics. Just putting feelers out to see what topics people would like to hear on this kind of show?

2. Hatsupi Kona

Hatsupi Kona Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That sounds great!

When it comes to young people who discover who they are these days, most of the time they feel alone and are filled with questions. You should have people email or fax you questions instead of necessarily answering a phone call. People could also share their coming out stories this way. This can keep their anonymous status and potentially block the "radio bombers" from hitting your segment.

I listen to the radio exclusively for the classical music segment, so I can't think of anything else someone would do on a radio show. Will check back on this thread soon.

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We had our first training day today :slight_smile: When coming up with sample topics to use as segments, we came up with:
    -a local gay club not letting women in, the pros and cons, segregation vs avoiding a homophobic environment
    -gay dating apps, why there are so many more for guys than girls, horror stories
    -anti-homophobia campaigns, what works and what doesn't

Anyone have any more ideas for five-minute segments?

4. FJ Cruiser

I might suggest a segment on openly gay politicians.

5. Deaf Not Blind

I would like to HEAR about diverse Queerness. I knew a lesbian who was paraplegic, no feeling in lower body, in a wheelchair. Now I know some in uni who have multiple "disabilities" and are not straight too. I think peeps have a weird skewed opinion that those with any physical limitations or differences or disabilities, like say Ceribal Palsy, are sweet, innocents, who are asexual and childlike in the mind, unable to comprehend anything in the world but kindness. Hahahaha! WRONG!

Next, I would like flat out info on transsexuality, from those who have transitioned, both genders, and all that got better ...is dysphoria a faded memory now?...and things that do not go away or get worse! We have no answers and fear asking personal stuff like...is your penis normal and can you keep it up for all the sex? etc.

Since you mention gay dating apps, i never seen one for transguys, we are not all straight or gay either. Sadly, Christian Queer dating sites? REALLY would be a blessing for those not looking for hook ups!

Genderless bathrooms in schools! One uni in DC had one and it is wonderful! My campus does not, and in humiliation I go into women's, head down.

#5 Deaf Not Blind, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome ideas! I'm the only one on the team with a long-term chronic illness, which affects my physical abilities, so that's something I'd love to bring itno it.

I have a friend who runs YGender, a Melbourne trans youth organisation. If I'm allowed to invote guests to interview, I'd love to bring him on. He's a great speaker, he's been through coming out, hormones, surgery, the whole deal. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about trans issues, but as I'm cis I don't think I can or should present a show on that theme myself.

The dating apps segment talks about different demographics, including women, so adding trans and genderqueer people to the discussion will be awesome.

And non-gendered bathrooms and facilities is a great one for the list!

7. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I reckon something for everyone. Something on bisexuality perhaps? To me it kinda seems like it is always forgotten.

8. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Biphobia and myths about bisexuality are on my list. :slight_smile: