1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you rely on that feeling?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Divopix, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Divopix

And I don't really mean your gaydar. I mean more of that feeling you just have when you meet someone or know them for a while that tells you that they're gay whether they're stereotypically gay or not.

I don't get it that often and most times I don't get that feeling even if I think they're gay. But when I get that feeling, I trust it.

Do you guys rely on this? Most times are you right?

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I don't rely on it at all. If I want to know if a guy is gay (e.g. before I ask him out), I ask him if he is.

3. Deaf Not Blind

For just everyday is that person straight or not, I have found myself always wondering if a GUY liked me if he was in the closet gay. I strongly think the last guy who did before I began questioning is...I think he is overcompensating big time. As for just anybody I meet, I don't judge by appearances, you know? If a guy is clean, and nice, and polite it does not mean he is homosexual, just that he prefers to not be disgusting, and a jerk, and rude. If a girl is dressed very masculine and is about to go play a game with some boys I don't judge her sexuality at all...some think I am a straight tomboy and many think I must be a lesbian because I am not dating and am boyish, and both are wrong. So why would I allow my eyes to judge a person's possible love attachments based on how they dress, or walk, or what they eat? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: AND...if a person is attractive, likes me, and is not married, I would not want to blow them off because of how others may perceive them either.

4. IanGallagher

Since it doesn't pop up too often for me, kinda trust it.

5. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually trust my instinct, but then again, the kind of gay people I'm interested in don't usually show obvious signs. I'm not really into flamboyant or stereotypical gay guys, so usually signs don't crop up unless they're flirting with me. Which brings me to my point, usually the most reliable signs only appear when the person likes someone and they flirt with them. Things like holding eye contact while smiling, touching shyly (not jokingly), etc. I've found that the so-called stereotypes can be unreliable, for example, I work with a guy who looks and acts sooooooooo gay (has the "hollywood gay voice" as in "OMG GUYZ THOSE SHOES ARE FABULOUSSSSSSSSSSS", is coy around guys, is mostly friends with girls, dresses feminine, etc), yet he's very straight. Dated girls, and frequently crushes on them. I've never seen him pursue or flirt with a guy. He's not homophobic though, so he's not closeted.

6. IanGallagher

Straight guys flirt with each other. I was with a friend and his friend was hanging on every word he was saying and gazing into his eyes. Now either he's LGBT and I couldn't pick it up or he was just showing interest in what my friend was saying (which seeing everything else, I'm pretty sure it was).

7. Brenny

I tend to go by stereotypes. Sometimes i get a "feeling" but thats more about me sensing that a guy is giving subtle signs of interest or attraction. Sometimes i really get a gut feeling though. For example my friend is bi. She isnt real stereotypical. She is just a unique person. Before i knew her i just had this feeling... Like she was queer somehow. I eventually assumed she was gay even though i knew almost nothing about her. I was wrong but i suppose that "feeling" has its merit. I hardly get comfirmation most the time but i believe my gut feeling is right most the time.

8. Zii

Zii Guest

I know what you are talking about, Divopix. I do get that feeling for some people, and I usually trust it; I have been proven right once so far.

I won't know if I am right with the others, as I don't think that they would 'come-out' at this age, probably due to self-esteem issues ^^

9. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    That is gaydar to me.

l can't put forth a ratio. l mean. lf l did have that feeling l would go with it, have usually been right and when l sense other random things about people am usually right about that too KWIM?

OTOH l won't expect to have it for every gay person so in that sense it's not a "radar" in that nobody is going to pass through undetected lol.

10. Silvails52

I don't trust mine at all. I'm not really attracted to really flamboyant gays, so I would have to ask. Sadly, I haven't had to ask at all yet...

11. theskywreck

I tend to judge on stereotypes, but sometimes, it's just a feeling I get (and often I am right).

12. Divopix

Gaydar to me is when you base someone on the gay stereotypes. The "feeling" is when I don't see the stereotypes, but I just know.

13. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Pssh. well this must be why gaydar has a bad rep lol.

ldgi. Like...if a person is seeing obvious things (stereotypes) why would that be a ''radar''? xD

l interpret it more like having a radar for what isn't obvious, also excluding gay "code", etc.

14. Equalist

Equalist Guest

I definitely understand that feeling, and I trust it somewhat since it doesn't happen often. However, I still don't like to think those people are gay since I really don't know, I just wouldn't be surprised if they were.

15. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    Me, too. What people may call their 'gaydar', I call my 'Spidey senses'... and my 'senses' don't often start tingling that often, unless a person really gives me a certain vibe. This goes double for women. So, when I do get that 'sense' that a person's gay, I tend to kind of trust it much more because it doesn't happen very often to the point where I actually find myself thinking hard about it.

---------- Post added 26th Jan 2013 at 10:34 PM ----------

Also agree with this, hence why I call it 'Spidey senses' instead, haha.

#15 Thieves, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  16. Yogabear

Yogabear Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I sometimes get this tight knot in my stomach or nervous feeling around other lgtb especially guys. It feels like I'm being hunted or something like its hard to explained. The sense of lingering something left to say or not mentiod in the conversation or that the conversation should have gone in another direction not the direction that it went down. Does all of this make sense to you guys or gals?

17. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    xD yes this is totally gaydar to me. But again, lm sure a few have passed undetected.

Very much so, more so with woman but many gay men too.