1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How we view our own gender

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Hexagon

So, transpeople. How do you about the words used to describe us, such as transman/transwoman and ftm/mtf? Many of you use them, and I respect that, but I'm curious about their use in certain contexts, namely the question 'What gender are you?'.

From my point of view, my gender is not 'transgender' or 'transman', its male. Transgender is how I got there.

Obviously, there are many situations in which using transman/transwoman is needed, such as when distinguishing between cisgendered and transgendered people. But when its used to describe the gender of a transperson seems to me like its being used to create another gender, rather than actually allowing someone to be accepted as male/female.

What do you all think? Hope that made sense lol.

2. Zontar

That's generally what it is. "Transgender" isn't a gender classification, that's why almost every transgender individual identifies as literally "male" or "female".

There still exists a category for sex-gender incongruent individuals and in contexts where the distinction is essential, i think it'd be okay to say "transmale/transfemale".

3. IrisM

I'll call others what they want to be called. For myself, I view myself as a T-Girl, and once I've corrected my physical abnormalities to the extent I have a fully female body, I will drop the T and simply be a girl. This does not mean I intend to hide that I am transgender, mind you.

4. Deaf Not Blind

I have on here what I am, a male.
    It bothers me to come out trans...I want to come out male, and process is transitioning.
    So now some are telling other students at school Kat is not female, Kat is transgender. Then that person does not see me as male, they see me as odd. They are confused what means transgender, so they sometimes come ask me all sorts of personal questions and if I don't tell them somebody at school will...and wrong. I am already in some circles identified as having both sexual organs because one man assumed I do.

5. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmmm I'm not trans so i guess its not as much of what you are looking for but I've always thought of people as they referred to themselves. I have yet to meet any agendered or the various forms of trans gender people can be, but i thought that if you were ftm you are a male and vice versa...

6. PurpleCrab

Tricky but simple.
    I'm male and that's how it goes in my life. If somebody gets it wrong, I'll gently but firmly correct them and there's not much to it.
    Being trans* is not a gender; it's men and women.

That's why I have an hard time with the most used definition of the term pansexual; most people say that it's being bisexual but liking non-gender conforming people too. You see, to me, that's wrong because non-gender conforming people are not outside the binary gender ladder; they're inside.
    To me, pansexual means that you're attracted to the personality of the person, not the outside.

And, well... I think on help sites like on EC, it helps to identify myself as transgender because in the big bad world trans* people don't have visibility at all so it's not much of a group per say.

7. Hot Pink

I say that I'm a woman, a girl, or a female. The only time I add on trans to woman is during rare times I want to say that I'm trans. Otherwise, I never do. It just doesn't come up in everyday life because everything in my life doesn't revolve around being trans. I'm a woman that happens to be transsexual, but that doesn't mean that I have to advertise it.

8. Jim

Jim

I say I'm Transmasculine because I don't feel entirely male yet. Once I've transitioned further, I'll identify fully as male.

9. theskywreck

I hardly ever use these terms because I don't want to confuse anyone. I just explain it to people in my own words when I need to. I like telling people I'm a boy, though. ^_^