1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today I applied to College

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IrisM, Jan 11, 2013.

1. IrisM

2. Yui

Yui

Good luck! :slight_smile: I hope that you'll get in and will keep my fingers crossed for you! :slight_smile:

3. regime

regime Guest

Oh be optimistic dont count yourself out! Hope you get in :grin:

4. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Yay! I hope you get in :slight_smile:

5. castle walls

Good luck with admission! I hope it works out!

6. BillCozby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hope u get in fingers crossed :slight_smile:

7. Van

Van

Good luck! :slight_smile:

8. Deaf Not Blind

Why are you not optimistic? Do you have poor GPA?
    My school went by several things to decide who they accepted.
    It is a deaf uni, but 5% of hearing can apply too...but they have it harder so I will skip them.
    For the majority of us, you have 2 essays, one is about what is unique about you as they want to bring diversity to campus. The other one is about life experience which should include jobs, extracurricular school activities, clubs, teams, and hobbies...and how it has made you a better person.
    Then they want high school and any former college transcripts which need to have a certain minimum GPA.
    They will want a couple of past teachers to write recommendations for you.
    Some want ACT others SAT results, but that may not matter if your grades from a previous college included Math and English at college level.
    And that is about it...there may have been more I forgot.

Now, unless you have a lot going against you...I even know former felons who raped women who got into my former college...I can't see why you have any reason to worry. You appear from your writing to be good at English and bright, that should help a lot. They look at ALL of this, and if you are low in one area, they will not just toss you out.

9. IrisM

My test scores were nearly all perfect marks, but all of my other work suffered greatly due to my ongoing stress because of peers, parents, and life in general. That is why I am concerned, I also never took the SAT's

10. Yeah, but your listed age here is 27. So you actually (at least where I live, I assume it's the same) are classified as an 'adult student'. It's easier to get in, still depending on where you apply, AND it's easier to get aid (because you don't have to rely on your parents).

But either way, good luck :slight_smile:
    I'm sure it'll be fine.

11. IrisM

Yes, I applied for Fasfa already and they say I could get $15,000, just not for the college itself's aid yet. That was because the thing is down though, so I'll try again tomorrow.

12. Lux

Lux

Good luck!! Pretty close to my college. Why'd you choose upstate new york?

13. IanGallagher

Hopefully you get in. Crossing my fingers for you.

Just realized age, so this doesn't really apply but for younger students this is the best advice I can give about college:

The top tier schools aren't necessary in getting ahead in your chosen profession. I didn't come from that great of a school in my profession. I was terrified. Yet near the end of my Jr year I took an internship with one of the five top film studios in existence. At 24 I have executives at said company reading my scripts, the VP actually apologized for not having gotten around to it yet - apologized (still shocked at that one lol), and the other is the daughter of a studio head. I didn't have the top school for the profession, I didn't have contacts, all I had was persistence. And an internship got me in.

So if there's anyone like me - for me it was not getting into NYU, UCLA, USC - and worried about the future. College is one thing. What matters most is your internships and showing you have what it takes out in the field. So take college as in-between where you can grow as a person and continue to learn more about who you are while taking on new and exciting risks and challenges. Life has quite an interesting path in getting everyone where they're meant to be when persistence is there. So while the best school in one's profession can help, it's not the end-all-be-all it's made out to be.

#14 IanGallagher, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  14. SunSparks

WOW! What a coincidence... this is so close to my university, you wouldn't believe it. I really hope you get in because Ithaca is really a special town to live in! Best of luck!

15. Deaf Not Blind

other scholarships too, I posted links to gay/trans ones on a thread. :slight_smile:

but honestly, i don't think you have anything to be worried about.
    I did not do SAT, but I did choose to pay to to ACT because even though they waived requirement, I got a scholarship!

16. IrisM

I chose ithaca because it had the courses I wanted, it had a good environment for lgbtqia, and because it was on the ten friendly colleges list.

Ironically I only found out about that because I woke up early due to a nightmare. If I do get it, I'm calling it Fate.

17. Lux

Lux

That's awesome! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Gotta love the upstate and friendly colleges. c:

18. redstormrising

good luck! what are you planning to study?