1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there racism in lgbt community?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonderingdave01, Jan 12, 2013.

1. I meant *the LGBT community

So, does it happen?

2. FJ Cruiser

Yes. Being gay does not mean you're immune from being a bigot.

3. Given To Fly

Yep, 'fraid so. I guess the LGBT community is more tolerant than the world at large, but there are racists everywhere. Sad fact of life.

Personally I'll accept anybody, so long as they accept me. :slight_smile:

4. IrisM

This. I just hope people aren't offended as I tend to be fearful when approached, but that is with everyone.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I must admit I have racist tendencies. I know deep down in my heart that it's wrong and fearing/hating different groups is a primal urge from a million years ago, but sometimes I just can't help it.

Every time I turn around, people from certain minorities reinforce their negative stereotypes and leave a bad taste in my mouth. And it's not just me-- a black girl I work with doesn't like serving tables of black people because they are generally dumb, rude, nitpicky, and hardly ever leave a tip. That is the opinion of another black person, not me.

I don't hate based on skin color and insist that MLK Jr. is one of the greatest people in history. But honestly, something is up. :/

6. If at all, they certainly wouldn't hate openly... I hope. Anyone that belongs to the LGBTQ community should know what it is like to be judged for being born the way they are. :/

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    agreed.

8. Vesper

Of course there is. Just because some people have faced discrimination themselves does not mean those people will not discriminate against others, though they will, of course, vehemently deny that they are racist. They will try to couch their racism in different terms to make it into something it isn't or draw a stark contrast between their racism and the homophobia they faced--all in order to attempt to justify their racism and still draw sympathy from others for the discrimination they personally endured.

9. Lux

Lux

Absolutely... everyone is biased in a unique set of ways. You could love Jewish people and hate Japanese people, shrug off lesbians but shy away from gay guys, or discriminate against 12 year old just because.

Being one minority rarely stops someone from hating another, although it can give insight into the experience of being discriminated against fo sho.

10. redstormrising

That's a very rational thought - but prejudices aren't rational. Someone who is gay but racist may think, "well of course you shouldn't hate me for being gay, there's nothing wrong with being gay." But that same person may believe there is something wrong with being a particular race, and therefore it is justifiable to hate a person for that. Women also know what it is like to be discriminated against for being born a particular way, but that doesn't stop some women from being racist or homophobic or otherwise prejudiced.

On another note, I would also point out that even if we weren't born gay (though I believe we are), that is no justification for discrimination. People aren't born a particular religion in the same sense you are born a particular race, but you can't discriminate based on religious affiliation. Similarly, you can't discriminate against someone for being disabled, even though he or she may have acquired the disability (say, through an accident) later in life. Of course, unlike religion and disability, sexual orientation isn't protected under discrimination laws in most places - but it should be and hopefully will change.