1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you do to convince another person that you're meant to be together?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Niqk, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Bearing in mind that you're not good-looking, that you've helped him for the past months with his studying and that he considers you a friend, that you have confidence issues, that your parents are slightly homophobic and that you haven't seen each other very often lately? I mean I message him quite often, but I don't want to just message him, I also want to see him and talk to him (no Skype or anything >_>).

What would you personally expect from a guy like me to prove to you? If you want a special someone what do you expect from them? And what would you do if you were in my position?

I just don't want to have a date without any meaning, I just want to convince this person that 'I'm the one' and I want him to be the one to suggest that we should meet again, so I kind of get an indication of whether he wants to meet me again.

So what would you do if you were in either position? What would you be expecting?

2. MixedNutz

1. When it comes to having a connection with someone, looks are not that important.

2. Are you just friends? Does he know you have an interest in making this more them friends? If he does does he show any indication that he wants more then just a friendship with you?

3. I would expect the things you're already doing. Interest shown, compatibility, support and help when needed.

I don't think you should ever have convince someone that you're meant to be together. Things have to happen naturally. Relationships don't develop due to convincing.

Good luck. I hope this works out for you.

3. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    Isn't it a bit of an oversight thinking that you are meant to be together without actually dating each other? Or am I missing something here?

If I'm not, then I think that you should actually make a move, despite your confidence issues and ask for a date. Once a relationship is established, then it will naturally build up to that point provided there are no major set backs.

4. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

I wouldn't want someone to "prove" to me that they were "meant" to be with me. How could they prove that to me and by what context are they "meant" to be with me? Is no one else suitable? Are they meant to fulfill some prophecy? They can not prove to me that they are and the latter two can be answered with "No." No one is "meant" to be with someone else by any stretch of the word. Instead of trying to convince me that they are, I would want them to let our relationship progress naturally. If I have no desire to be with him, then there is nothing he can do and further pressing the point would only make me feel alienated.

#4 plasticcrows, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  5. Given To Fly

Well, if I remember rightly from another thread, he's already agreed to go on a date with you. So just try to relax and be yourself. If the spark is there, great. You can't force him to like you :slight_smile:

6. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I'd never agree to saying that out loud because it sounds rather unconvincing. I just want to convince him in other ways. Yeah he knows that I am interested in him, and we have a date, which I hope will help us get to know each other better but it's really hard to know how he sees things. I recently told him that I was gay after finding out about his own sexuality. He's open, I'm not :bang:

@INTJ, I just found the 'perfect man' for want of a better word, I can actually see a potential future for us both, but I want to be sure he would be interested in me. I have never dated anyone before, so I'm not sure what I'm expected to do. I know it's not a crush, because I really am into short guys, preferably tanned and black-haired. He is neither of these things, in fact I doubt I ever had even a crush on a tall guy before. He's one of the very few people whose ever made me feel special sometimes, and genuinely appreciative of myself. And this guy is gay like me, so it's natural for me to want him.

I just wish I was much better looking, it would help a lot but that will never happen. I have a genetic defect on my chest, an unwelcome inheritance from my mother, that caused me to have a dented chest. This makes my breasts pop out like a girl's, and my stomach stick out more. Now add chest hair, lots of it. It makes me look hideous. No wonder I never, ever let anyone see my chest since I was 15, and that was only a visit to the doctor.

I never asked him what type of guys he's interested in. It makes me wonder a lot, he keeps telling me that he badly wants that special someone, but imagine the luck of only finding someone like me. Being in a relationship with me, isn't easy :frowning2: I just hope that the date goes well, and that he would genuinely like the idea of meeting me again.

He's also the first gay guy I ever met, who I knew to be gay at least. I just don't know what is expected from me.

7. BudderMC

The way I see it, if you're truly 'meant to be together', you shouldn't have to 'prove it' to him. Both parties should already know.

8. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He only knew I was interested in him around 2 weeks ago, and he agreed to go out with me last week. I'm just scared I'd mess it up. :frowning2:

9. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What BudderMC said.....if you have to convince them then you're probably not meant to be together.

10. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I find expressing myself very hard. I have to prove myself to make even people notice me. Otherwise everyone ignores me, literally.

By proving myself I mean, trying my utmost to be someone people like more. I cannot be a depressive person if I want this to work for instance. But that's hard.

I'm sure a lot of people are misunderstanding the concept, I can't seem to put it adequately into words.

11. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As other people have mentioned, there is no way to "make" someone love you. It's impossible. In fact, even trying will likely produce the opposite effect; it may push them away (neediness is very unattractive, at least to people looking for healthy relationships).

There are things you can do to increase the change they'll develop feelings for you, such as being kind (but not excessively, like constantly sacrificing your own needs for theirs before they even have feelings for you), sensitive, confident (or appearing so), good hygiene (<- very important), developing your own interests (don't be a boring person who just sits around playing video games all the time. Even just showing determination to grow is attractive), respecting their needs. Just keep in mind that people don't fall in love based off of a score of attractiveness, simply being hot and smart is not sufficient to guarantee someone will love you (though they help :wink: ), it's the entire person that determines what other peoples feelings for you will be.

12. BudderMC

But the thing is, if you're talking about people who are 'meant to be', the other person will like you no matter what you are.

You can do a lot of things to change yourself to effectively be more generically 'popular', but it's not worth it if it's at the expense of your own happiness. It's a cheesy adage, but just be yourself.

13. Van

Van

Honey, it's not a job interview, you don't have to convince anyone that you're good enough. Just go on that date, have fun and see how things go. Give him some time. Don't do anything that would make you feel uncomfortable, just be yourself. I know that you want him to like you and he probably already likes you... just enjoy your date. (*hug*)

14. jutwanahaveboys

my friend I think it is his full acceptance and acknowledgment that you are really after. do you want him so bad because you have feelings for him? or is it because you desperatly want to feel loved by someone who you may consider superior and out of your league? as for looks, if it is such a big deal to you, there are MILLIONS of things you can do to improve that. including dressing styles, hairstyles, and fit bodies. just go with the mainstream, the ray.bans, they beats, you know :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: all of the pop things :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: trust me it works on helping your self confidence. your own acceptance to yourself is required if you want anyone to accept you, you know what I mean? hope it helps.

15. leer

if you continue to worry about the date you`ll be a bag of nerves he knows you anyway so he will tell if your trying to hard to make him happy ''total turn off'' you need to be yourself
    and enjoy the date try not to worry about everything .

16. justliketotalk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my friend... If you have to convince them it's time to move on. :dry:

17. starfish

Honey I mean this is the nicest way possible but you are coming on way too strong.

If someone came at me like that, I'd be looking to make a quick egress.

Just back it off a few notches and play it cool. Give the relationship time to develop rather than try to force it.

18. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm about hygiene. Do you mean as in both the way you look or smell? As in taking the daily shower? Or say add deodorant or stuff like that?

I tend to sweat a lot sometimes, especially when I am not comfortable, and on other occasions might breath gets foggy (I've taken to buying peppermint lozenges to help fix that one, since brushing my teeth, no matter how often, loses effect after a while)

This isn't just about Luke. If I can make myself more appealing in some way, I would definitely want to know.

19. Deaf Not Blind

Well, I wish I had a pix of you to go on. If he has seen you before and likes you as is, then don't worry so much! Just be you 2.0, be extra nicely dressed on the date. Where are you going? Don't be stressed out on it, be as happy and carefree as if you were out on the town with a best buddy you feel comfy with for 20 years...then he can see your natural smile and personality come through and it will appear confident. Confidence is attractive, not arrogance, just confidence. So I really would work on that idea 1st, that you will not allow yourself to be a worry wort...just go out to have a fun time with a friend...then it will go from their naturally! If I did see how you look, maybe I could say how you could dress for your 1st date or do your hair, but generally just have it all really clean or new, and same style as you always wear...assuming you are just doing a casual 1st date. I am happy for you!

20. Fire2free

Fire2free Guest

My girlfriend just kissed me till I stopped thinking she was strait.