1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do any of you dislike being gay in a straight world?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sammyjane72x, Jan 13, 2013.

1. sammyjane72x

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi

First off I'm not talking about disliking being gay as such, I'm talking about being gay in whats truly a straight world. 90+ % of people are straight and nearly every movie etc short of a few is straight based. I have heard some Bi's say they feel some dissonance in about this, even if they are coupled with an opposite sex partner they still don't enjoy being identified as straight. So even Bisexuals arn't left out

2. I sort of do. There are definitely less options when it comes to men because they are way straight men then gay men and it becomes harder to find a partner.

3. jutwanahaveboys

Straight world? Not for much longer trust me. The gay agenda has been pushed forward by the media for as far as I could tell. the pop culture and everything it stands for, including hollywood, which is the vatican of pop, the music industry, and everything that has the power to change a person's view of what is acceptable and what is not (art industries), is now playing to our favor. give it no more than two decades and homosexual sex will become something the new generation would experience at least once in a lifetime. the media has the scale shifting power and if they keep it up, the world will soon become a 100% gay friendly place - and let's not forget who runs Hollywood and who are the guru's of all art industries :wink:

4. BudderMC

Being gay in a straight world is quite literally the only thing holding me back from liking being gay. I accept that I'm gay, and I'm cool with that. But as soon as you step outside or turn on the TV... you get bombarded with messages reminding you that you live in a society that wasn't built for you.

If I could figure out how to accept this fact, I'd be golden.

I disagree. Right now we live in a heteronormative society (i.e. 'straight'-ruled). I think, at best, we can hope for something close to equality in the near future. But I severely doubt we'll ever run a homonormative society (i.e. 'gay'-ruled).

5. LouisKat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I dislike being queer in this world because that is often the only thing people focus on when they find out. I do not mind talking about it, but I find when I tell a new person, suddenly everything else about me they seemed interested in before disappears to them, and I'm just queer and nothing else.

6. hello1992

i dislike being gay full stop. Its made things really difficult, and its going to get a whole lot worse over the next few years as i approach that age where marriage becomes appropriate. It will be crunch point when my parents ask em about marriage or if i have found a woman. I am dreading this moment every day (my parents are muslim btw, but they are liberal, but not enugh!) and there's a strong possibility that coming out will be like bomb going off....

Of course being a minority will always be difficult in any circumstance. But i guess its the fact that there's a lot of guys that you just cannot have because they are straight. -.-

I also hate the fact that people feel like they have to come out and make a big event about it, its not like you are dying from disease, people shoudlnt feel like others have a right to know.

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

At this point I don't dislike it per se, but its still annoying as fuck to deal with at certain times.

I made it a point to surround myself with as many supportive people as I could and I usually don't have any problems in that aspect, but every so often you get reminded of how much of a minority you are in this world.

The only way I have learnt to deal with it is to treat it as a joke. To me is just funny now. Sort of how other people's phobias can be funny because they don't make any sense whatsoever. It also helps to know that you can make this world a little better at a time. If you focus on helping other people then this world becomes 100 times more easy to handle. At least for me.

8. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't bother me at all anymore. I love being gay and I say this loosely, "different." Sure there are many people that are against us, but I feel they don't really matter when it comes to everyday life and most wouldn't even say anything to your face to begin with. I feel my life has been much more interesting as a gay person than if I would have been straight and going with the flow like everyone else.

9. Harve

There is nothing inherently wrong with 'heteronormativity' per se. They do, after all, make up 90%+ of the general population and gay-rule would not only be odd but unfair and elitist. Think the Norman French in 12th century England or European colonisers of Africa/south Asia being ruling minorities.

Obviously, homosexuals can and do have an influence in a heteronormative society (Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir, you babe).

10. agonizingnose

not really. infact it feels nice to be kinnda unique in this way

11. sunnii

more or less i do. i can get moments where i get pissed off that "i cant do this" etc just the fact that i cant do it because of my sexuality seems so shit because it isnt fair but i suppose life just isnt fair is it?

12. Live Love Smile

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It can be annoying with people assuming you're straight. All throughout the holidays I was asked why I "wasn't at my boyfriend's house" or "So, who's your boyfriend?". :bang: Drove me nuts. I. Like. Girls.

And there aren't many movies that I've seen where a gay couple ends up happy and "skips off into the sunset" so to say.

But at the same time, I agree with you in a way. Love is love, regardless of gender. It also gives you a different perspective. Gays are sort of a minority in a way and looking back, LGB (and T) rights have come a long way, even if in some places there's still a lot to be done.

13. SkyDiver

I'm sick of heterosexuality being shoved in my face. So, yes. I do dislike it.

14. IanGallagher

This thread brings to mind this film:

[YOUTUBE]J8me5inR7Sw[/YOUTUBE]

That's remarkably similar to this film (race reversal):

[YOUTUBE]37U_vQOKooE[/YOUTUBE]

There's another 'gay world' movie with Kellan Lutz coming soon.

And in all seriousness, kinda distrusting people the way I do, I kinda see this is what would happen.

15. IrisM

I am me. I've worried for far too long what anyone else wants me to be like. So, I'm a girl. So, I like other girls. So what? If they don't like it then it's their problem.

16. Equalist

Equalist Guest

I dislike being gay in a religious world. Religion is the driving force of anti-gay ideals; if religion never existed, or if this bible never mentioned homosexuality even once, there is no telling how society would behave towards gay people today. The only reason people think homosexuality is wrong is because they are either religious or their parents indoctrinated them into these naive ideals that they have not yet let go of, not to mention that society emphasizes these ideals every day, making it less likely that these people will have a change of mindset. Stating that half of the world has a corrupt mindset on this topic is an understatement, and they are underserving of any sympathy. And then there is the fact that people are so dependent on tradition that they are virtually hesitant to learn. For their kind, ignorance is truly their sole bliss.

"Gay/bisexual population is less than 10%" - what a cowardly inaccurate and unreliable statement. Although it is only possibly true, keep in mind that this doesn't account for the ones who have been brainwashed, live a completely closeted life, or the ones that commit suicide for being rejected from almost all aspects of their lives.

This is a "straight" world because it is a religious world. I am not bothered by the majority of the population being straight, I am bothered by the root cause of why this particular minority will have to deal with a seemingly more difficult life.

17. Harve

Not everywhere in the world has religion having a widespread influence: much of Europe, North America, central and eastern Asia might have traditions that stem from religion but relatively few who practise it. I know a few people who are not religious but are against homosexuality simply because it goes against the grain. I don't know too many religious people either, but those I do know are generally not homophobic or have an internal conflict between what their religion says and how the tide is turning in favour of equality.

I'd like to think that those gay people who commit suicide for being gay, as opposed to other reasons, and those who are closeted, and those who are 'brainwashed' form a relatively small minority in the Western world. Note that I'm not dismissing this as a non-issue, I'm rather saying to stop being so bleak! You haven't put your location in your profile so I'll leave some room for where you come from, but your post victimises yourself and gay people unnecessarily.

18. Rexmond

I just hate the fact that the chances of finding a gay person's "soul mate" is extremely low COMPARED to a straight guy.

19. Harve

If you believe that there's just one 'soul mate', then gay people have just as much chance as straight person. :slight_smile:

20. Equalist

Equalist Guest

I would expect people to think that I'm victimizing myself, but to say that I am also hurting gay people in general is as farfetched as my original post. I represent myself, not a whole population.

Naturally, because they have no reasoning for their belief, they are more likely not to influence anybody else with their ideas. Therefore, they are of no concern to me.

I know people like this as well, and they would be examples of people who have been affected by the progressive nature of their religion, or in other words, they are not stuck in the indoctrinated ideals of those who rely overwhelmingly on the root tradition of their religion. Props to these people.

My bleak attitude towards this topic is a risk I'm willing to take. I don't seek to hurt and offend people, I seek to inform them and hopefully teach them something. I may come across as very cold and apathetic of people's feelings, but it helps add emphasis to what I'm trying to get across. Not to mention that it's not exactly a one-sided offensive stance either. When you look at the reality of things, I'm really causing no harm.