1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age gaps.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BurritoQueer, Jan 13, 2013.

1. BurritoQueer

What do you think of Age Gaps in relationships?

What about a teenager dating an adult?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    a 15 year old dating someone older than 17? Bad idea. For a whole bunch of reasons.

3. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

As long as there's no difference in maturity, then it doesn't matter. If the adult is 19 or older and the child is 15, then I highly doubt there's no difference in maturity. Keep in mind sexual activity would be illegal on the adult's part so unless the child has open minded (or rather neglectful) parents, the relationship could end terribly for both parties.

#3 plasticcrows, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  4. BurritoQueer

These are my thoughts aswell.

But I'm just using this as an example, I know a guy who is 24 or something his maturity level is like 14 years old.

5. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

Still a bad idea. Even if he and a 15 year old did develop a romantic, loving, and supportive relationship any sexual activity is illegal for the adult, and if the 15 year old's parents find out, they could interrogate the 15 (thereby adding lots of stress and shittieness to his life) and take legal action against the 24 year old. Something neither the 15 or 24 year old would want.

6. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I looked up the age of consent laws in your state and it says you must be at least 16 to have sexual relations with an adult. So, if I were you, I'd wait.

7. redstormrising

it's not even just the 15 year old's parents that you'd have to worry about. any concerned adult who notices the inappropriate relationship - even a total stranger - might report it to the police for further investigation. considering the severity of being branded a sex offender, it's really not a risk worth taking for the 24 year old.

8. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To put it bluntly, a 15 and 24 year old "dating" is a bit disgusting. Other than for sex, I really don't see how a 24 year old could manage or tolerate a relationship with someone that young. Things are just too different and unbalanced. Not to mention how it's illegal as well. As the younger person gets a bit older, probably at least 18, then age gaps don't seem as bad though.

9. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

Also a 24 year old who has to settle for a 15 year old has hit an all time low. It's pathetic and the 15 year old is settling for the worst possible adult. 15 year old would be better off finding someone closer in age to him and if there is no one else, wait because a lover is not necessary.

10. SeerOfHeart

As a fifteen year old, from just my own personal experience I wouldn't want to date someone that much older than me. For example, my personal range tends to be within one to two years of my age- anywhere from 14 to 17, usually. Even if they are immature, a nine-year gap in which one partner is still technically a child is just... odd.

Now, if they're older like 41 and 50 or something that's another story since they're both consenting adults and the gap in maturity isn't as large, it's fine in my book. But 15 and 24 is just too different, even if the fifteen-year-old is mature and the twenty-four year old isn't (which would make me even more nervous to be honest).

11. Colton

Well, watching someone in my family have to struggle with their life because they made a dumb mistake to "do things" with someone who was under-age, I would advise against it.

12. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Age gap? Difference in maturity? I don't see those things as terrible. I don't care what sexual or romantic relationships you have as long as it isn't reckless, non-consensual, abusive, or otherwise makes some party miserable. It's not up to me to tell you what your relationships should be like.

An underage person with and adult? Not likely to turn out well for either party...others in this thread have articulated why better than I can.

13. leer

I waited till I was 16 before I did anything with anyone I admit I like guys maybe a couple of years older than me thats just my preference.

14. MixedNutz

Age gaps become less awkward as you get older. Because maturity and experience start to get on a level playing field. 15 dating a 20 year old is much different them a 30 year old dating a 35 year old.

A 15 year old with a 20/20+ year old is just disturbing and disgusting. Despite any sexual activity being illegal, That says a lot about the 20 year old. It shows a lack of maturity, lack of morals, lack of emotional stability to maintain a relationship with someone of their own age.

15. Alexander69

I like men who are 20+

16. Dalmatian

A 25yo wanting to have a relationship with a 15yo (I'm not even talking about sex) shows a lack of either social skills and acceptance in his own age group or a great lack of maturity or simply maliciousness. Actually, I would find even just friendship between those two people weird (I mean, like best friends, spending time together, going out,..).

The age difference itself, after both partners are mature (and that's not at 16, 18 nor 21, but probably somewhere in late twenties) does not matter. I mean, a 30 year old with a 50 year old is a relationship on evener ground than a 30 year old with a 20 year old (20 seems a lot, but when I think about specific 20 year olds, it changes perspective).

17. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on what age both people are, not so much on the difference, as others have mentioned. A 15 year old dating a 20 year old is a terrible idea for many reasons, and I think everyone will agree that especially the 20 year old is very wrong morally and probably emotionally instable as well. However, 25 and 30 is completely fine.

I do think, though, that a teenager dating an adult doesn't necessarily have to be a problem. A 16 year old dating an 18 year old, a 17 year old dating a 19 year old. Yes, it would be illegal, but on a maturity level there's really not that much of a difference, so I'd think it was weird if the sheer fact it is illegal kept them from having a relationhip (and I'm sure there are tons of relationships like that).

I, myself, am 19 and my boyfriend is 25. I think this is about as big an acceptable age gap as possible at my/his age, as the differences would simply be too big if he were older or I was younger.

18. Jim

Jim

I suppose it's up to the couple, but I find anyone over 20ish going out with anyone under 16 very odd.
    I think as long as both partners are over the age of consent, it's fine. It might not be considered normal, but if they're happy then why not?

I usually like older men, like early thirties, and I'm 17.. Though I doubt any mature adult would want to date me, because I have the humor of a morbid 7 year old.

19. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I seem to recall a formula of ((older person's age)/2)+7=(lower limit for younger person). Though, the formula breaks down when you go below 14, at which point I'd generally go by within a school grade instead of using an age.

20. it all depends.

someone 14 dating someone 19, i dont agree with. like big differences if youre under 18 is a pretty big deal. someone 15 dating someone who is 19 they arent going to be on the same page maturity wise.

when youre 18 age gaps arent that bad anymore as youre technically an adult.