1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Offensive?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Twisted777, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Twisted777

Twisted777 Guest

Okay, so today I 'accidentally' said the f word (6 letters, rhymes with maggot) and one of my friend's friends heard.....he quickly shouted "You can't say that you homophobe! What's wrong with being gay?!".....I apologised and went away. By chance, I met him again and said "you do know I was talking about myself when I said that, right?"

I don't really find any specific word offensive, unless the person saying it means to offend me, I was wondering if lots of people react like that guy today....or if, like me, you don' t care (and don't interrupt random people's sentences).

2. Deaf Not Blind

we have discussed this here before.
    some are like you and think words like this mean nothing if you are joking, same with saying something is gay.

I however don't like fag, faggot, dyke, or saying something somebody does stupid is gay...anymore than i enjoy hearing black men on the bus call each other nigger. all them are just utterances, but if you know they HAVE a meaning that is intended to hurt, there could be somebody nearby who overhears and is offended...or really traumatized.

I am NOT politically correct. I just don't usually use words that are commonly used to hurt others.

btw, many lesbians use dyke.
    I like Queer.
    some peeps hate queer too.
    I like it because it means weird, but has a Q. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I personally find the word faggot offensive, whether it's said out of malice or not.

4. Jim

Jim

I find faggot very offensive and I get mildly annoyed when people use gay as a derogative term. I often label myself as queer or genderqueer, depending on whether I feel particularly male at that point in time, and I used to say I was dykey when I was more of an androgynous female, before I realised that female doesn't apply to me at all.

5. leer

Faggot and queer i find offensive

6. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

If someone tells me that I'm a faggot in a derogatory sense I don't get offended, though I do take it as an excuse to offend the person who said it. I mean, hey, they're trying to offend me so why not offend them? "Yeah, I'm a fag. At least I'm not a *insult here.*" Typically I go for racial slurs, but if they're white I insult something else. Usually something like "fatass," "redneck," "inbred," or "worthless bitch" (if they're female). Or I'll call them a dirty jew. Surprisingly that offends a lot of white people, regardless of whether or not they're jewish.

Black people are the best. Their reactions always tend to be so disproportionate to mine.

7. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

If anyone even called me a dyke or something like that, I would be very offended - joking or not.

8. Given To Fly

I don't particularly like the words 'faggot' or 'dyke'. They just aren't nice words, whatever the setting. 'Queer', 'poof' etc don't really bother me. I've been called worse...

9. greendaisy

I think that even if you are joking, you can easily offend people around you, even if you yourself are gay and your refering to yourself.

10. Deaf Not Blind

Wonderful, a gay bigot hater. :dry:

---------- Post added 14th Jan 2013 at 08:53 AM ----------

is POOF a UK slang? I have not heard or seen it signed here in US. What does it refer to? I think of women's 1980's puffy sleeved dresses.

11. Given To Fly

I think it is UK specific. Not sure where it originated - longer version is 'poofter'. Possibly relates to stereotypical gays being 'soft', but thats a guess.

12. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

My intent is not based in bigotry, rather it is to shock and offend the person who has tried to offend and/or shock me.

13. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally find a lot of the derogatory terms offensive--faggot included--whether it was meant as a joke or not (maybe I'm a little sensitive...lol). I actually recently had a talk with a close friend of mine about this, because (though it was a joke) she often referred me and my group of friends with that word when greeting us and I found it offensive.

I would just try to avoid using any sort of derogatory term altogether (or any word in a derogatory sense). What you said as a joke could truly offend and hurt someone else if they're that kind of person.

14. MichaelB

Don't find it offensive at all.

Words are only as bad as the individual makes them. If person x knows faggot annoys person y, he's more likely to insult person y by saying faggot BECAUSE person x is aware it annoys him so much.

So really, people. Not gunna lie, by finding it offensive, you're supporting this vicious circle and keeping it a taboo word designed to be hurtful.

The same way that most coloured people now, atleast my age/generation/location, don't find the N word offensive. I don't personally use it, just incase, but really, I see MANY facebook status's from them themselves saying stuff like 'shit -n word here-, that stuff is crazy!'

And I'm actually doing English Language A level now about how taboo words come about, and part of my syllabus is quite literally saying that taboo words come about by people caring too much, summed up... haha. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Deaf Not Blind

since i have never heard it before and it has no positive or negative feeling to it to me, it sounds cute! poofter...i could name a fluffy kitty that! my little fluffy poofter! awwww!

16. SomeNights

^lmfao
    To me it's all about context. If it's accidental and/or not meant to be used as a derogatory term, I'm okay with it. However if they intend to use it as an insult they better be doing so in the right context

17. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with this. I wouldn't let a word steal my joy... that's just giving the other person power over you.

If someone called me that I'd just be like, "Yuuuup." LoL

18. Given To Fly

:roflmao:
    I hope you're gonna post pics - can't beat kitty pics :slight_smile:

19. Deaf Not Blind

I had kitties when i was a teen. I called them puffy, and fluffy and they loved it! it made their tails fluff big and go up. oh and because an orange one had a tail with the end looking like the pussywillow fluff, i called their tails willow sticks. okay so next cat mom gets i shall name him Poofter, the Fluffykin! He will be the puffiest , and have the fluffiest willow stick of all!

Shut up I am straight!

#19 Deaf Not Blind, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  20. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Words only have the power I give them, so no I don't get offended over offensive words, especially if they're being spoken, but not as an attack. Example: Like you ever notice sometimes when two people are having a conversation about some random offensive word it will go: "Where did that F wordcome from anyway?" Instead of "where did the word faggot come from anyway?" because someone (like that guy OP mentiond) might give a dirty look or *gasp* "you can't say that word!" ...:dry: That annoys me. He's only saying it, not insulting someone with it. I mean you have some words--like "bad bitch"--that are spoken amongst some friends as terms of endearment or at the very least, playfully. Example: "You a bad bitch, hahaha" Two negative words, in the way they are said, become a compliment. Sometimes I question whether a word is actually offensive or if people just take offense to it because of how it was said to them. People do that with all kinds of words. It's all about context and intent, always is. The words themselves are nothing.