1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scent

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by aconite, Jan 14, 2013.

1. aconite

I was reading about science of love somewhere... said that human being can smell pheromones like animals do. One will like the scent of someone who have different immunities from themselves, therefore it's like a guide to produce better offsprings. It is also said that females has better sense of scent.

As for me I noticed that I'm mostly didn't notice how people smell since i don't go out sniffing people. But around me I mostly dislike men's scent (no offense, it was people around me) and like women better, but not every each of them either.

So I was wondering if you guys even notice how people smell. And I don't mean their cologne or perfume. And if you have a partner do you like their scent?

2. leer

I do I like the smell of channel the expensive one`s also david off and a Japanese one
    at work I use Paul Smith I do like guys that smell nice am a bit fussy like that .

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I find guys scent's to be very sexy sometimes, especially sweaty guys. :redface: Of course it's just the ones that I usually find attractive.

4. aconite

I'm just like this, except for me it's the girls. I really dig my gf's scent. It makes me feel really comfortable.

5. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can't really smell pheromones on a conscious level. It is sort of your unconscious that picks up on them and decides who would fit you best. At least that's the theory.

6. prism

This. It's just something that your body detects.

The first time I fell in love, it was from across my high school's bridge and we were surrounded by over one hundred other students. I doubt I picked up her scent. However, the last time I fell in love, I was inches from her face.

I wonder if the immune system theory would apply to the gay and lesbian individuals, who cannot have children by "natural" biological means. If not, what factors do come into play?

Anyway, I only care about a person's scent if it's bad. I personally can't stand the smell of cologne or perfume; it actually makes me feel nauseous.

7. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I have a very strong sense of smell. Its my number one turn on! I was really into this girl and i noticed how good she smelt so i asked her what perfume she was wearing. She said none. So i was obviously attracted to her phermones that she let off. Sexier than perfume any day! :wink:

8. Deaf Not Blind

i can't smell peeps unless they stink and then i think EW take a bath pig!

women who wear perfume...you get used to it, one dab will do ya, PLEASE stop pouring it on! GAG!

as far as getting close to someone, last time it was a girl i was inches from her face and had huge urge to grab her into my arms and deeply kiss her on that bridge. one pix she took of me acting stupid is on EC my photos. I liked that scary uncontrolled feeling I barely controlled. If I knew I was out to a person and they were with me, how nice to have that again come over me and I take and sweep them off their feet without warning and never let go.

9. hello1992

omg yes!!

Some people do have distinctive smells. Some seem to be their general odor, or the smell of their clean clothes.

For women its hard to tell, most wear perfume.

10. Abraxas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dear God, my nose... It's overly sensitive. It picks up on everything!
    Except pheromones. =P
    But scents tend to drive me wild. Such as this one guy at work. He has this sweetest smell about him, I can't even begin to describe it. I've even asked him if he's wearing some kind of cologne, or if he uses anything in particular to wash his clothes, but he swears he doesn't.
    But, yeah, I'm pretty big on scents.

11. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes! When I was dating a woman a couple of years ago, I noticed I was extremely drawn to her scent. She never wore perfume either. But she smelled so nice. The best place on the body to find someone's scent is the spot where the neck, ear, and hair meets. I love it. <3

12. Cinci

The other day I was wondering why my kitten's head smelled so good and then my friend(who I have a crush on) smelled his head and couldn't smell anything but then her mom smelled his head and was like yep it's your shampoo (talking to afore mentioned friend) since you were just snuggling him. So yes i am attracted to scent to the point where it's somewhat embarassing

13. Yui

Yui

My sense of smell is quite strong as well. I like perfume but I think you can usually smell peoples own scent even when they're wearing it. Unless they've used the whole bottle :lol:

Agreed - that is the best spot ever!!! ♥ I love hugging someone and then kinda snuggling up to their neck with my nose at exactly this spot!!! ♥

And I love the smell of rain on someones skin ♥

14. Italy or Bust

Had a crush on a guy at work that had an abundance of man-smell. I could tell be was in the room before I saw him. It was not offensive to me in any way, and it always turned me on. Never had that sensation from anyone else, but I still sometimes think of his scent when I fantasize about him. I regret not hooking up with him. I know he was interested and I wasn't ready to go down that road. Now he's gone, but I can still smell him!

15. Equalist

Equalist Guest

Now that I think about it, I don't really pick up on scent. The only scents I tend to pick up on are perfumes/colognes. When I walk by people in public, I purposely (and subconsciously by habit) breathe out slowly to avoid picking up on the smell of people, and because I'm slightly compulsive over germs, I like to think that I am avoiding breathing in any germs they may have if they're sick.

Besides that fun little detail about me, I usually don't put much thought into scent unless it is bad, in which case I would prefer to distance myself.

16. Mogget

Humans don't have pheromones. That's a myth, albeit a pervasive one.

17. FranklinK

I don't agree with this. Our skin is our main odor producing organ. If olfaction was considered unimportant or completely a waste of a sense then why do we spend so much money on odor control substances, i.e. toothpaste, cologne, deodorant, body wash, and shampoo just to name a few. The amount of time and effort spent in covering up our natural body odor isn't conclusive to your statement.

In the skin there are apocrine sebaceous glands that produce odor and they are found largely in different areas of the body: underarms, nipples, pubic area, lips, eyelids, and outer ear.

Hair is great for spreading odor through evaporation. The fact that apocrine glands and body hair are found together isn't something that just happened by chance. Linked with sexual development in every other mammal this would be called the pheromonal system.

---------------------------------------

In any case I have noticed the distinct difference in the natural body odor of each of my partners and to be very honest it is one of the ways I decide if I can be with that person or not. I'm not talking about cologne or deodorant, but the way they smell naturally.

18. LouisKat

Out Status:
    A few people
    The people who have just struck me at first meeting are quite different from each other and are not necessarily people I would have chosen to date if given descriptions of people to pick from. Sometimes I wonder if I am picking up on pheromones that are doing something to my brain I cannot consciously understand.

Anyway, as for smells I can detect on a conscious level, I like some and hate others. I hate the smell of most men if they have sweated. It makes me aggressive most of the time. lol If a man sits next to me and has strong body odor, I often become overwhelmed with a desire to fight with him. (I am like a territorial cat or something.) On the other hand, the smell of women and a few, select men make me feel content and happy. I have never experienced this with a woman, but an even fewer number of men have a scent that makes me want to touch then and just be all over them, sexually or otherwise. (Sometimes at the same time as I feel like punching them in the face :confused:)

That was all about natural body order. When it comes to products, I usually love the way men smell, their aftershave, cologne, men's hair products, etc. and cannot stand the way women smell when they are wearing lady's perfume or other smelling products.

19. aconite

I think it may apply although it might be just like a 'side-effect' which do nothing since we can't have biological children anyway. Sorry, not good at explaining this. I wasn't focusing on the theory itself, I was just wondering if people usually notice other's scent, even if unconsciously.

I agree I hated cologne, perfume and their friends. If I stay near these scent for more than 5 minutes I can really throw up. Especially in cars.

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2013 at 03:07 PM ----------

I found it surprising that many of the posters actually dislike perfumes, since I got the impression people in general love them. it makes me sick, and I thought I was alone. My girl never wears perfume either. I had never noticed her scent until we slept together and I was surprised to found it new yet so familiar. I thought it's because I had unconsciously attracted to her scent.

20. Delta

I can like men as people... But I hate the way they smell! It's dreadful! All pungent and repugnant and nasty! It's just horrid!

Even if a woman reeks (and I have smelled the worst of the reek, playing roller derby), I would rather smell her than a man that smells even a bit ripe.

That being said, I adore the way my girlfriend smells. <3 Her breath can get kind of bad sometimes since she eats a lot of meats, but her normal body scent (I'm loath to call it an odor) is just so pleasant. It's something I could bask in forever and ever and ever. I like to steal her shirts and smell them in a creepy way because she smells just so very good.

Her pheromones may or may not be what's attractive about her scent. I wouldn't know, since I can't consciously smell them. I would vote that there's some strong pheromone action going on there, since I had a sort of "love at first sight" reaction when I met her, and I met her via a close personal hug. That and we're very very genetically different (based on looks, heritage, and family medical problems).

I read somewhere that gay men react to men's scents in the sexual part of their brain, and women's in the scent part, straight men react to women's sexually, and men's as a scent, straight women react to men's sexually and women's as a scent, and gay women react to both as a scent. But I don't really believe that, due to my inability to keep my hands off my girlfriend when I can be with her in person, and how much having pieces of clothing she's worn can make me feel.