1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was anyone else bothered??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by luvlontime, Jan 14, 2013.

1. luvlontime

Was anyone else bothered by the cameras at the Golden Globes when Jodie Foster came out & they put the camera on Jane Lynch? It was like, "oh she's coming out, we better show another lesbian". Idk maybe just me, but it annoyed me. Like when someone is about to cry in an interview and the camera zooms in. Seriously. I mean, c'mon!!!

2. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know right! it's stupid, she must have debated for so long about if she should do it and they completely ignore that fact, my TV emote nearly went through the actual TV, my mum came up and asked me what was wrong, i about mauled her

3. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't understand how that could upset you.

4. djt820

Somewhat off-topic but what bothered me was her intentional ambiguity. We're in a age where the LGBT community needs support to fight hatred and she has the gall to actually be ambiguous about it on national TV because of "privacy". Privacy is good and all but when you're in a position of influence, other things matter other than yourself.

5. luvlontime

I wasn't upset by it, just annoyed.

6. Salazar

7. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I was happy she had the courage to say what she did say. I felt like it was really confusing to really understand what she was saying though. Her speech was all over the place, but I mean it must have been tough standing up there in front of all those people and admitting it to the world as well. I think it was courageous in what she did.

8. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    She's awesome and I loved her speech and I have no problems with any of it at all.... Cmon guys, if someone were to write that speech in a thread then they would get so much love and the ppl bashing it would be looked down upon

She came out, she's a human being who has feelings like you or me. Just because she's famous doesn't make being gay any easier. If that's her way of coming out and her story then bless her big heart. She should not be criticized, it must had been extremely difficult for her to do that and I completely understand being that I too am gay and a very private person

Good for you Jodie! Youre an inspiration to me.

She made me feel better and if I'm the only person in the world she had an effect on well then I still think its worth it because she gave me more confidence when its been lacking so much

9. FranklinK

So what? She's gay. Whooptie-doo. I think coming out of the closet at an award show is probably one of the biggest publicity stunts. What would have been wrong with scheduling an interview with a publicist for a gay magazine and having a nice chat about how much you like other girls and when you realized you were gay yadda yadda yadda. I think that would have been classier and more put together than just rushing up on stage and mumbling some confusing speech about how you might or might not be gay. I thought it was idiotic. Sorry to be harsh.

10. Vesper

I thought EC of all places would be highly sympathetic to Jodie Foster's coming out in her speech. Guess not...

I'm surprised by how critical many people have been of her speech, calling it a publicity stunt or calling her a coward. It's easy for people to say she did a terrible job when they 1) didn't have to be up on that stage, speaking to the millions watching the Globes live; and 2) don't know jackshit about Jodie Foster's personal life in order to understand her fears and motivations.

11. FranklinK

No one knows what is going on in her life so it is silly to be super sympathetic and super pessimistic. Take it for what it is with a grain of salt I guess.

---------- Post added 16th Jan 2013 at 12:16 AM ----------

I guess what upset me the most was the way she came out and then retracted it almost immediately and the media is using this as some huge gay thing to make money and I dunno I am tired of us being used as cash horses and then disregarded as less than. So maybe my frustration shouldn't have been taken out on her. Props for kinda coming out.

#11 FranklinK, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  12. luvlontime

I applaud her for coming out. I have a feeling that's probably how it would sound if I was trying to tell someone. she told the whole world (not that it was a surprise). Some people act "weird" or "goofy" when they are nervous...so I say awesome job to her.

13. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Didn't watch it but l did see a 3 second clip of the speech and it had that shot of Jane in it.

IDK. l've always paid attention to stuff like that and it doesn't necessarily annoy me but it's funny.

With stand up comedy, you notice that the camera man often pans to a member of the audience the joke pertains to if te comic is talking about people.

Comic makes about Asian people, next camera shot is of Asian man laughing uncomfortably in the audience...lol.

What makes it even funnier is that when they edit they must go back and choose to specifically put those camera shots in, it's not like the camera man just happened to pan to the Asian guy immediately. lt must be a shot of the Asian man laughing at anything the comic might have said throughout the entire show.

#13 OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  14. TARDISDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly people it's not that big of a deal. It was a 2-second cutaway, relax. Anyways, Ms. Foster's speech was courageous and inspirational. Absolutely love her.

15. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

She has been out for a while actually, but being out for some celebrities is different than most people. She first came out in 2007 when she mentioned her partner, which she has been for 14 years or so now.

Criticizing Jodie Foster for the way she has had to come out is a bit brutal considering how she has never had any privacy of her own since she was very young. She had to go through the same shit of coming out like many of us, and she had to do it on camera. Is not exactly the easiest of things to do.

16. agonizingnose

its our silly media. anything for ratings

17. MysticalFantasy

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hahahaha hey i dont mind looking at Jane Lynchs expression as well!

I think it was a bit rude to have done that however. But im just glad Jodie foster finally came out of the closet!