1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nature vs. Nurture

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TKM, Jan 14, 2013.

1. TKM

TKM

Im really having a hard time answering this question, what do you guys think?:slight_smile:

2. jaysuss

I would say it is nature and nurture up untill about age 5. You can only have the possibility of it in you but I think it is solid at age 5.

3. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Personally idk anymore. For the longest time I believed it was genetic....but after sharing some things with someone on here I consider to be a close friend....I'm kind of on the fence.

4. TKM

TKM

That's what is kind of happening to me I'm not sure, at first I thought it was genetic but now looking back, I am not so sure it is just strictly genetics:dry:

5. Ticklish Fish

it's Napture. Oh how much I slept as a kid......

6. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

7. Gerit

I'd say nature. Just going off of my experience and stories of others, I'd have to say nature.

8. Jacek

Nature, too much variety in upbringings to say nurture. Nurture can hange how you accept it though and how you live with it.

9. Dalmatian

It seems to be both. I mean, if we look at identical twins alone, there are cases where they have opposite orientations, but they are still more likely to be on the same side than non-identical siblings. At least I think that's the case, I don't remember where I got it from (I want to say a documentary, but...). If what I just wrote is right, than both nature and nurture count.

Err.. addition.. it actually depends on what we call nature. If we are talking about genetics alone, then the above stands. If we encompass hormonal influences and everything else but upbringing in terms of psychology, then probably not.

I actually don't know what to think :slight_smile:

#9 Dalmatian, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  10. aspiecarer

I would say both: a bit of a 'gay' gene..yes I know this controversial and nurture;I also think there is some truth in being gay as a result of over-bearing mothers and weak father,although I don't know if there is a similar theory in respect of lesbians?

11. Hexagon

Are we talking homosexuality here? If so, epigenetics.

12. Fiddledeedee

It seems to be "set" by the age of 5 or so, as has been said. Genetic and epigenetic factors come into play, likely along with some after you're born.

13. Jim

Jim

I dislike this argument because it's clearly both.

For example, people who are classified as psychopaths/ sociopaths. To have either condition, science has identified that you need a certain gene which codes for it. HOWEVER, this gene only activates if it is triggered by a traumatic early childhood. For example being beaten or abused while very young, or witnessing a very distressing event, such as rape or murder etc.

80% or so of teenage psychopaths also have poor attachment to their mother figure and attachment is required for healthy brain development.

14. Phoenixaaa

Definite nature in my case. I was brought up in one of the most homophobic families and I was still able to act "gay" in their eyes without any influence or help.