1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How fast does it take for your Gaydar to get a lock?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SaleGayGuy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At the age of 52, after a long and confusing struggle, I have recently accepted that I’m gay and come out to myself.

After not really paying much attention to guys before I now find myself looking at all the guys when out shopping and some guys seem to stand out from the crowd in less than a few seconds. Is Gaydar really that fast or is it just not differentiating between gay/cute?

#1 SaleGayGuy, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  2. Bree

There's no such thing as an actual "gaydar"--gay people aren't magically equipped to identify each other. What we call a "gaydar" is really just our ability to read social cues--so if you're really socially perceptive you may have a stronger "gaydar" so to speak.

3. Linthras

Linthras Guest

This is how long it takes for my gaydar to lock-on:

4. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hahahahahah I sent my gaydar back to the manufacturer to get it fixed! Lol :lol:

5. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

My gaydar works very quickly! Locks on to target almost instantly! :aD

6. pyroboy74

Mine is busted :/ I wouldn't know a gay guy from a brick wall if I ran into it (most of the time)

7. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l agree with what's said about it not being a literal raydar for gay people. People don't like that idea because it implies there's something inherently different about a gay person other people can see.

But there is such thing as being intuitive, in general. Some people are more intuitive than others. Some people complete lack any kind of sixth sense about people and interpret things on a literal level so they'll tell you that isn't possible.

That there's no way you can "know" something about a person until it's made obvious and tend to be types who don't really pick up on subtleties in general. Perhaps a lot of gay people develop the intuition for the purpose of finding a partner but it extends to a lot of different things IME.

So, l think what people call gaydar can be as accurate as you think it is in some cases, lt doesn't matter what you call it.

OFC you can't know how accurate it is until it's proven to be so :wink:

#7 OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 16, 2013
  8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Among the gay men (and a few straight ones) I have known over the years, gaydar is absolutely real. It's difficult to describe, exactly, but among most of my friends, they can, in fact, spot most gay guys nearly instantly.

Now... there can be people whose gaydar is completely busted and doesn't work at all, and there are also people who mix up their gaydar with what a friend of mine calls their "hope-o-meter" (which is when you spot a really cute guy, and your "hope-o-meter" wishes that he is gay, but he clearly isn't.)

Mine isn't quite as quick as some other of my friends, but when we're out together, one of us will point someone out, and usually the others will pick up on it a minute or two later.

Of course there are people who are very, very hard to read, but even those still trip the gaydar, just are a little harder to say "yes, I'm absolutely confident he's gay."

Now as far as my gaydar working for lesbians... not so much. If they're obvious I can pick them out, but they are much harder for me than gay men. Not sure if that's true for everyone but definitely the case for me.

9. Linthras

Linthras Guest

How is an obvious lesbian different from a non-obvious lesbian?
    Or are you talking about seeing two girls having hot steamy sex with each other?
    Cause that's not gaydar that's using your eyes.:icon_wink

Thing is, unless someone tells you, or you actually see them expressing attraction to the same sex, you cannot be sure and probably locking on based on (sub)concious stereotypes.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Again, I can't really describe it, but there are certainly some lesbians that are really obvious. Call it stereotypes, but in most cases I'm speaking of, it's confirmable (asking others who know them, that sort of thing) And no, I'm not talking about obvious stuff like two girls making out.

11. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    ^My gaydar isnt as good for men. Though l'm not less perceptive in general the second someone has a penis...lol. IDK why, myabe it's just more developed for women because that's what l'm interested in.

How ''obvious'' a person is to you really boils down to how much you're trying to determine their sexuality because if you aren't the interested in them only the stereotypical people are going to be obvious to you.

in some cases l find gay men have similar personality traits to me, mostly developed if we were both closeted. l can spot that in another person but otherwise l miss gay men that are "obvious" to straight women.

#11 OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 16, 2013
  12. Linthras

Linthras Guest

So basically you and your friends are good at recognising lesbians who exhibit certain stereotypes.
    Doesn't sound like actual gaydar to me.

13. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    He said his gaydar wasn't good for lesbians.

14. Lewis

I have a top-notch gaydar. My eyes just lock onto a guy if it thinks they're gay, not sure if its accurate though!

On a serious note I think we can just sense a mutual understanding with other gay people, rather than actually just knowing they're gay. I notice straight guys just walk past without a single glance, gay guys at least look and then look away if they're not interested or if they are...they carry on looking.

15. Ianthe

Gaydar is picking up on lots of things, including social cues and possibly subtle biological cues, that are common to many gay people. Some people trip everyone's gaydar without being gay, though, and their are plenty of gay people that do not set off anyone's gaydar (until they do something really blatantly gay and make it obvious, such as openly hitting on same-sex people).

But for the most part, it isn't particularly relevant. I mean, either they are out, in which case you will know soon enough, or they aren't. And if they are claiming to be straight, then for your purposes, they are straight, really. I mean, it's really best to take people at their word. And frankly, for a closeted person with limited experience of gay people, I would be hesitant to trust your gaydar. It improves with experience.

I realize you are still not out yourself, and therefore you are looking for ways to identify, by divination, which of the other men around you are in similar circumstances. But what will you do, if you think some guy is gay?

You definitely should not regard your gaydar as infallible. Sometimes, you'll get it wrong, in either direction.

The only way to really feel out whether someone might be gay is to reveal that you are, no matter what your gaydar says. And sometimes, they still won't tell you, even if they are.

The things that gaydar picks up on are most likely traits that are influenced by the hormonal balance in the womb during prenatal development in a similar way to sexuality. So they frequently appear in people who are gay. But every trait we know of that is like that is only statistically more likely to be found in gay people than in the general population; there is never a 1:1 correlation. Not everyone who has the trait is gay, and not everyone who is gay has the trait.

Anyway, what makes it "gaydar" is that you can't explain why you think the person is gay; it's your unconscious picking up on something. If you can point to what it is that is making you think they are gay, it isn't gaydar.

I've definitely had the experience before of looking at someone and just knowing they were gay, and having no idea why I thought so. Even when I wasn't attracted to them. And being right. It's a weird thing.

16. IanGallagher

Definitely agree with this. Usually it just strikes instantly from how I'm interacting with someone. Even when a straight dude is acting camp, it never trips my detection - it just stays that dude's straight and fooling around. However, there just seems to be a different interaction when I sense that the other dude is LGBT as well - and I think they notice that I am a well whereas none of my parents or friends ever had even the slightest notion.

17. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Op Here: Thanks for replies

In looking back at the wording of my original post perhaps I should have said that when I notice these guys in a crowd of people it’s not necessarily that I think they are cute or hoping that they might be gay, as in Chips friends “Hope-o-Meter”, it’s just some unquantifiable thing about them that makes them different somehow.

I know that as someone still in the closet I don’t have a much knowledge of the many different types of gay guy/girl and those that I have known in the past have all been involved in the theatre or in a band and therefore have tended to be the more flamboyant type. But when someone stands out in a crowd I have not noticed them being overtly flamboyant, they are just different somehow.

I have had the good fortune to have had a job living overseas and working with people of many different nationalities with a variety of social norms, so perhaps I am more attuned in some way to body language. Also I seem to be much more observant than most people I know and notice sights and sounds that others miss. Perhaps what I sense is a subtle combination of confidence in the way they move, some sort of inner glow, and external appearance?

I guess what I really was trying to figure out is from those of you who are confident in your own Gaydar does this “just being different somehow” without being overtly gay strike a chord with you and do you sense it within a few seconds?