1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When a trans person says they're straight

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonderingdave01, Jan 16, 2013.

1. So when an MTF says they're straight, does that mean like men, since they're a woman now? or women because they were a man before?

Likewise, when FTM says they're straight, does that mean like women, since they're a man now? or men because they were a woman before?

2. Niko

When an MTF says they're straight that means they like men.

I'm an FTM and I consider myself gay because I like men.

3. PurpleCrab

simple; if they are a mtf, that means they ARE a woman. They were never a man. Consider this and you'll figure out the sexual orientations with clarity.

4. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes.

*side rant* At my work there was a patient whose gender identity was written as male in the paperwork, but my boss insisted their gender was female since she just saw it as biologically speaking. I asked my patient if they wanted to identify as Male or Female, and they laughed and said "I'm a female!" I guess the paperwork had been filled out wrong but the nurse had already changed their gender to female and the medical personnel thought it was humorous, but I did not.

I told her, "Ok, I just wanted to make sure I knew how you identified before drawing your blood." I was upset that the nurse had already changed it without confirming her identity. That could've been very embarrassing for the patient!

#4 myheartincheck, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  5. Madeleine

Yes. For me at least.

6. Deaf Not Blind

it gets really weird to me what governments and religious peeps would think is gay because of being trans.

Do they think if i am not yet transitioned and fall for a woman I am gay?
    Would they want me to marry a man and have gay sex??
    When they prohibit homosexual marriage in their state, or they say they would not marry gays in their church, it seems oxymoronic if they would cheer me to marry a male!

Conversely, if I fully transition...does their opinion now flip??
    If I marry a man is it now gay?
    If so, why was it not before?
    If not, why not, because I would not only still feel male inside I would be outside and in both cases only sexual activity would be male on male...how it would it be straight?

This is my dilemma only because of the nature of our nation's definitions.

7. Oddish

Oddish Guest

An FTM is a male person. Likewise, an MTF person is female.

If you are an FTM, which means you're male and like other men, then yes, you are gay.
    Vice versa for when a MTF person likes women. Since they're female, they are considered gay/lesbian as well.