1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colleges?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lexi, Jan 16, 2013.

1. lexi

lexi Guest

What are some good schools (us) that have scholarships for LGBT?

And does anybody by any chance know of any schools that have good LGBT major programs? I was thinking of majoring in gay/lesbian studies, just one of the many possibilities...

anyway, just looking around trying to decide :slight_smile: i need to narrow down my options!

2. prism

LGBTQI Studies & Sexuality Studies Programs in North America

I don't know which one has the best program, but at least you can start you search. ;P

My sister wanted to major in LGBT Studies, but ended up just making it her minor. Out of curiosity, what careers are you considering? Many students (myself included) make the mistake of stressing over which major to choose based on their interests and not the type of career they want after graduation.

3. Kay

Kay Guest

Smith in Massachusetts, i think their program is a women's studies affiliate. The other one I know of is Columbia University in New York. I know almost nothing about them i have met some LGBTQ people who have studied at both places. Hugs and good luck

4. Just out of curiosity, why would a college or university grant scholarships to students just for being gay/lesbian/etc?

5. prism

Why would a university grant scholarships to students just for being African American, Asian American, Latin American, etc?

Minority status. These are the groups of people that are most susceptible to hardship or to be from low income families. Surely you can imagine some of the essays that come from the LGBTQ community.

6. Kay

Kay Guest

Beyond minorities as Prism already stated, many of those scholarships are offered to LGBTQ because the students want to go into Gender/Queer study majors.

Smith College: Study of Women and Gender

7. While I do agree that these groups are susceptible to hardships, many members of these groups are not. I know many members of these minority groups who are upper middle class and live in very comfortable, liberal environments with the same opportunities and resources as non-minorities, yet they can still benefit from affirmative action and certain scholarships. All I'm saying is that affirmative action and this sort of scholarship can be taken advantage of; I see it happen all the time, and I even have friends in these minority groups who have told me the same. Ideally, though, I agree that underprivileged minorities should be given scholarships etc.

8. ^ I know someone who attended Smith, the all-girls school.

I know UCLA has an undergraduate minor in LGBT studies (I don't think it's common to have a major for it). If you go further and think about Law, UCLA Law has the William's Institute, the largest LGBT thinktank.

9. prism

Whoa whoa whoa. I'm not here to debate whether it's fair or not, I was just making a point. However, this would be an interesting topic for a new thread. ;D

Some cheat their way through the system, but some scholarships go to students that truly deserve them. I think it's worth it to keep those scholarships open to the few that really need the support.

I completely understand why it's frustrating though. I'm half Asian half Caucasian from a lower-middle class family. I have friends that were able to claim very low incomes because their parents were paid under the table. They got free lunch at school and drove home in new cars, while I paid the full fee and huffed it home on my shitty bike. They got scholarships, I didn't.

10. Kay

Kay Guest

These scholarships are applied for. The veritable you neglected to look at is what a person majors in. I am an LGBTQ person who is taking courses in Gender studies which is becoming a large field am encouraged to follow this major by being awarded financial assistance.

11. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I did not know that there are colleges or universities that offer scholarship for LGBT, or have a course called LGBT Studies. I must say I am fascinated.

12. Kay

Kay Guest

Many Universities these days have a complete curriculum built around Gender or Queer studies. From what i understand now after looking it up many states have such colleges and Universities with these programs.

13. redstormrising

Not all scholarships are need-based or have a need-based component; some are pure merit scholarships and have nothing to do with whether you can otherwise afford to go to school or not. A university can have an interest in promoting a diverse student body, which enriches classroom discussion by having students of varying backgrounds and perspectives. Also, just because particular members of a certain minority group grew up with a more financially advantaged background does not prevent them from being discriminated against later on in the workforce based on their status in that minority group.

14. lexi

lexi Guest

Thank you everyone, you guys have all been really helpful :slight_smile: I want to be a councilor or therapist (maybe) because I would like to help people, especially those struggling with sexuality.

Yeah, if I do go into that, it will probably end up my minor, with a psycology major. Lol, I'm probably the opposite- I'm considering being a specifically lgbt therapist. I love psycology, which I would either minor in cognitive science and become a professer or private researcher; or minor in lgbt or something else and be a therapist or marriage counselor.

However I'm also considering design(working in the fashion industry, or being a graphic designer) and marketing (either working for or illustrating for an advertising company). I honestly can't decide on a major without knowing exactly what I want to do with it lol :slight_smile:

15. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

As far as scholarships, I know Penn (not Penn State) actively seeks LGBT students.

Also, I go to the uni of maryland, college park, and there's a huge LGBT program. There are smaller scholarships for LGBT students as well, but don't expect a full ride. ;( However, I love the school so if you want to talk about it I'd be glad to help. For reference, I'm a second semester junior double degree in economics and spanish. I'm also in three different programs at the university. Basically, you can do whatever you want here. :slight_smile:

16. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    if you actually look into scholarships almost anything about you can grant a scholarship. i remember once finding one that would give me money for being left handed and attending a university lol

17. Deaf Not Blind

I posted a thread earlier this week on the sites showing the Queer scholarships.

18. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That sounds cool. So what jobs one can get into after taking that? More on advocacy about LGBT I guess?