1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The appropriate age..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Awkward Balloon, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Awkward Balloon

So, nowadays many teens are engaging in sexual activities from a very young age. My friends starting dating at around 13 and a few have already went as far as oral.

I was wondering what age you think starting stuff is appropriate or safe? I do understand that it's against the law but, you know..

2. ive known girls who lost their virginity as young as 12. its scary the world we live in now.

personally the age of consent, its their for a reason. i wont promote underage sex.
    if you dont know how to protect yourself against pregnancy/stis then you are too young to be having sex. i know some people feel ready at 14 or 13, but personally i wasnt and still am not. im not that worried though everyone does things in there own time.

if youre feeling the peer pressure, many people might of just said they had sex. some probably havent. when youre ready, youll know.

3. -Michael-

I think around 13/14 people start exploring with casual 'boyfriend, girlfriend' type deal.
    And i'd say kissing and hugging is fine.

Around 15/16 people get more into it, whereas I don't recommend it, i'd say exploring further with someone of the same age is fine.

Personally, i'd say sex is fine around 17/18 though I know it seems everyone is trying to do it a lot earlier.

There's no need to feel pressured at all.
    The people dumb enough to think they are mature enough for sex or whatever at 13/14 have a lot of growing up to do.

4. MerBear

well i had oral at 12 and im not going to sit here and lie ...im not perfect. it was disgusting but i paid the price for it.

age of consent - until your mature enough to handle it , not when you think you are , when you know your mature enough , so maybe 18

5. Awkward Balloon

Thanks for advice, just to clear it out I'm not feeling peer pressure :slight_smile: just one of my friends who's slightly bi-curious suggested we should experiment, and I didn't know whether or not it's a good idea.

6. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everything is going to pot in the world now, yes they can date to an extent but they shouldnt even think about sex or anything even remotely like that till sixteen seventeen, i think the youth of today should slow down with their lives. GOD! that makes me sound old, they shouldn't be obsessed with the idea of sex like some people.

7. Brenny

I personally think kids should be waiting until 17/18 to be jumping into sex.

8. thegaymer

i think it depends on what you consider to be sex. do you mean oral or just touching each other?

9. Silverbells000

I am honestly appalled by our generation's sexual actions, kids as young as 12 already have boyfriends and girlfriends and are kissing and acting like tiny teenagers. I think high school and above is when you should be getting serious about relationships. I probably sound weird and old fashioned but in Middle School and below there really shouldn't be any of the stuff that exists there now...

---------- Post added 17th Jan 2013 at 01:59 PM ----------

I think maybe a kiss would be ok but at this point there really is no reason to go much farther than that, it's an ok idea so long as you don't take it too far and make it a bad one.

10. Awkward Balloon

I do agree that nobody should have intercourse until at least 17, and that the teens of today are starting things way too seriously. Peer pressure is making people feel like they have to do things to fit in, which is terrible. In my area, there are discos every second week, for people aged 12-15 which last four hours and is basically just a room full of people exchanging saliva.. It's just wrong :/

Also I'm extremely surprised by the amount of teens posting on this thread, thought it would attract more adults :slight_smile:

@Silverbells000 The only thing he's curious about is oral. When he said that he wouldn't mind experimenting I immediately replied by saying I might, but in a few years because we're way too young.

11. leer

i to think you should Waite till you are over 16 I don't agree that different places have different laws regarding the age of consent`s some countries in Europe its 14-15 for M+F
    and south america Its as young as 12 in some places witch is crazy I waited till I was 16 before I did anything & even then I felt I should have waited .

12. ATLEAST 18-20 for me... I'm not planning on losing my virginity anytime soon. Yeah, I hear these kids at the lunch table bragging about how ths girl gave him oral, and then another talking about penetration... Uhh no, I'm a kid... and so are they.

13. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I would like to say 18, but I know that many whom are younger may disagree.
    I disagree that anyone in the middle school ages (11-14) should be having sex or getting into relationships. Most around that age are far immature, and do not understand the complexity of sexual relations and the dynamics of relationships.

I'd even take a far stretch to say that some of those my age aren't ready for it, either. But the most appropriate mark would be 17/18.

I'm a virgin, and I plan on it until I meet that right person. No need to rush to lose it due to peer pressure, so I can brag and become an obnoxious dimwit.

14. leer

some of the friends I had at School same age as me had a few kids by 16 .

15. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For any "type" of sex I believe...:

When two people above 18 consent (that way there's no awkward "I'm a sex offender because I'm 18 and you're 16 or 17" stage) and feel READY instead of pressured to fit society's idea of the "norm..."

Experimenting with dating and kissing and touching others as well as yourself is a relatively healthy exploration for horny teenagers, though too much will want you to break the waiting rule...

However, no judgment from me if this rule have been broken as I know it's idealistic. Teens/kids are starting rather early these days, but many people just rush into it because of peer/partner pressure, which you'll regret later. (Trust me, I know!!! I was a pressured 17 year old once!!!)

16. Hexagon

The age of consent is important, and should never be disregarded. I think something around sixteen is acceptable. The trouble is, while some people might really be mature enough before then, how do you tell them apart from the people who just think they are? On to of this, the law protects (or should do, at least) people from being pressured into sex before they are ready. After the age of consent has been reached, I still think people should exercise caution (and their brains, obviously). Some people are ready, others aren't, so people should do what is right for them.

17. castle walls

I don't believe that there is an exact age. People mature at different times. There are plenty of people in their twenties that are not mature enough to be having sex and there are plenty of teenagers that are mature enough to be having sex. However, I will say that I do not agree with someone over the age of consent having sex with someone under he age of sex.

I've always disliked the "kids are having sex so young these days" talks. I don't think that anyone else can determine if anyone else had sex too young (unless it is an obvious abuse situation such as a 20 year old and 8 year old). Chances are in 20 years people will be having sex at an even younger age. There will always be people that have sex at a younger age than some people think is appropriate. Due to that fact, I think we should work on making sure young people get a good sexual education

18. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ I'd say on average it pretty much goes like this.

Though everyone is different, so I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing if a 14 year old starts experimenting a bit, or if 16 year old boy/girlfriends start having sex; some people are simply a lot more mature than their counter peers are.
    (the reverse is obviously true as well)

But, a 14 year old having sex really seems too young. I can't grasp the idea that someone would be ready at that age.

#18 justinf, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  19. Nightmaric

I'd say sixteen for most people. My first sexual encounter was at 17 and I felt rather comfortable.

20. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the person and relationship. I'm definitely against exploitative relationships (adults/teens with children) where there's a signifigant difference in maturity, but I don't really think there's something inherently wrong with people dating/sexually experimenting (well, non-intercourse, teen pregnancy can be life-ruining) at a relatively young age, like 14-15. I personally am glad I didn't, but it really depends on how you view sex. For some people, sex is really meaningful, for others it's just recreation. It's all subjective, but I do know that I've been aware of other people sexually experimenting (well, at least so they say. I did and do believe them though) since I was in grade 8 or so, and so far they've mostly turned out to be heading towards being mature adults. They take their grades and future careers seriously, most haven't ever gotten someone pregnant (only one person I knew casually did), do they've turned out alright.