1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

senior exit idea's?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MerBear, Jan 17, 2013.

1. MerBear

im a junior and we have to do a research paper , i don't have to do the paper until this semester is over which is pretty soon and i have no idea what im going to do...

my friend did abortion (pro life) and im pro choice so i was thinking about maybe doing that but my research paper is going ti be graded by random teachers and im worried that the teacher will be offended in some way and give me a bad grade....
    (i don't trust teachers at my school)

i also don't want to do a touchy subject just because of that but i mean i don't have any knowledge about other things , if i stand by something strongly then i can breeze by it but if it's something i don't have any knowledge about , i can't do it

i was also thinking animal abuse but its too common
    so any idea's?

2. MerBear

3. Yui

Yui

You can choose whatever you want? What interests do you have?

4. MerBear

yeah. politics interests me. anything i feel strongly about , it interests me.

5. Yui

Yui

Maybe something about fundamentalists? And I recently read something about the Quiverfull movement - you would have tons of different things to get into, including feminism, what happens to children who decide they need to get out, what problems arise for women when they have to give birth to 10-20 children, mental/physical/spiritual abuse, etc. There are shows on TV about these families, for example the Duggar Family, so you could write about how they're represented in mainstream media. I read some really interesting articles written by a mother of 7(?) children who decided to stop quivering and divorce her husband and is now an atheist, I think. I could give you some links, it's really interesting.

6. prism

Controversial topics lay the best groundwork for strong argumentative papers. Provided that the paper is well written and persuasive, the topic really shouldn't matter.

However, teachers are still people, and unfortunately, many of them are bitter and opinionated people. I had a similar research project in high school, and I thought it would be interesting and challenging to argue that the NASA Moon landings were a hoax. I explained to my teacher that I didn't really believe that, but that I still wanted to pursue my paper. In the end I got a C, despite having other teachers review it and tell me it was a well-written paper.

Be new. Chances are, any given teacher is going to read a dozen papers on abortion, euthanasia, social media, climate change, etc.
    Choose a topic that no one else would think to research. It will be a breath of fresh air for the teacher that just read 30 papers on the same topic.

7. MerBear

thank you for the idea's guys! i appreciate it. i will use those :slight_smile:

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For an argument essay, if you're concerned about the grade, I think you're right to be concerned about super controversial topics that create strong feelings. You'll probably do better if the teacher agrees, sadly. Nobody can be 100% objective. But some may actually grade you on your writing and argument skills, lol. Anyways, more funding for education? Perhaps? haha. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. MerBear

my sister thinks they'll grade my paper based just on how well its written which is isn't true.
    i know teachers are naturally subjective to disagreement and no matter how well the pape is written , they can still also grade it based on disagreement and apparent false statistics , they just wont tell you. i know the teachers in my school. im not stupid

10. Last Gentleman

I'd say that given the state of the world, your papers grade could be appealed if poorly graded when it's well written. Ie, have two other teachers read and grade it, then present that to overrule your teacher.