1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have You Moved?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 17, 2013.

1. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    ...mostly because of your sexuality? l'm planning a move (most likely to Chicago).

l could stay where l am...but l just don't want to. l considered several places throughout the US.

l'm from a smallish MW town and even though l know it isn't (necessarily) true that l'll never find anyone here, l kind of felt l like l actually deserved the option of increasing my chances by moving to a major city since no matter how you slice it...it's always going to more difficult than it is if you're looking for someone of the opposite sex.

And just to have some privacy. l wouldn't be devastated if my family knew about my sexuality at this point, but even if they did l think 'd still want to move away to get things started. Not entirely sure why as far as that goes, l guess l just want to feel like l can be myself.

The only bummer is that l'll be 29 once l get out of here :O

But yeah. Seems like the thing to do. Also there isn't anything especially LGBT friendly that's drawing me to Chicago but it's a relatively low COL with a school l'll probably transfer to.

#1 OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. prism

I transferred to a university in NYC because I felt stuck in Chicago.

If you have any questions about the city, I've lived in The Loop my entire life. :slight_smile:

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not yet but I plan to after I am done with school. Either Arizona or Texas, or maybe some other southern state. I can't stand the cold weather and could use a fresh start I think or at least I'd like to try. I always have a place at home if I don't make it, lol.

4. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm from Chicago and I've lived here my whole life.... You can move to boystown , very lgbt friendly and its right by Wrigley field too

5. LouisKat

Out Status:
    A few people
    Texas?! Other Southern state? That must not be a move based on the things the OP was talking about. That said, Austin, of course, is more diverse (some people here don't consider it Texas. . . >_>) and in my beloved Houston, we have Montrose and the museum district- art! culture! neat little restaurants! and LGBTQ-ness!

Anyway, this year, I want to move about 30-40 minutes away, into Montrose/the museum district of Houston. I mainly want to do this to be closer to Houston's art scene, the museums, and stores and restaurants I like. However, the proximity to the LGBTQ centers and the population was a consideration as well.
    I do not like the heat, so I have considered moving further north in the future, even if I stay in Texas. (Dallas, perhaps.) I have also thought that if I ever choose to transition, I may move and try to start over, depending on how bad the reception is.

6. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thought about NYC. eh, maybe eventually. l've never even been to chicago ye and it's like a 90 minute bus ride lol.

l have wondered about which areas are as bad as people say. l hear ''STAY AWAY FROM ALL OF THE SOUTH SIDE"...which l can do lol. But the rent in some of the neighborhopds is tempting :confused:

7. Not due to issues with the LGBTQ... but I was born in Kentucky, so good thing I moved when I was 4. I would be miserable...

8. Shiny Espeon

I've never moved. I like barbecue food too much to move. But for some reason, I've always thought that Seattle would be a nice place to live.

9. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My thoughts exactly. My places of interest are Atlanta, GA; Chicago; New York; or another major city that isn't in close-minded Alabama. My chances of finding someone here are low. Plus, I've always been drawn to the city scene.

You're also right about the privacy thing. It would be so much easier for your family to find out about your orientation if you lived a good bit away, even if you don't mind if they found out now. You wouldn't feel so influenced by their reaction. It's exactly how I feel.

10. prism

I wasn't insinuating that New York City was better than Chicago. If you ask me, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

I live on the South Side. There are key areas that I wouldn't walk alone in, and certain things I wouldn't do (i.e. walk around with headphones), but I wouldn't say it's unsafe. It has bad reputation, but you can find a nice apartment in a safe neighborhood on the South Side.

Is the North Side safer and more gay friendly? Probably, but you'll pay out the butt for a small apartment.

#10 prism, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  11. FJ Cruiser

One of the factors that played into which university I chose was friendliness to LGBT people. Granted, four of the five universities that I got into are great in that aspect, but I couldn't afford three of them. My choice came down to UT or Texas A&M. Texas A&M is...uh...very, very conservative and homogeneous. I got a much better deal to go there, but I just...couldn't do it. UT and Austin were too obvious for me.

12. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Melbourne is a pretty LGBT accepting place. I love it.

I wouldn't mind changing the scene by going to Sydney though, which I hear is just as gay-friendly.

Don't know. I like where I live. Just not the people I go to school with.

13. silkfrog1292

I spent a few years in Melbourne. Of all the places I've lived in (there are quite a few) I like Melbourne the best and I wish to live there in the future. I've never been to London, but I really like the city as well. :icon_bigg

14. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l know. That debate goes on forever with some people and they don't even seem similar enough to be compared that way.

About the south side, that's the impression l had. it's really, really hard to gauge how "ghetto" an area is from people who've never lived in low income areas.

l've lived in some places here that are considered by the people in the town l live in now but it was pretty much like you described. You were fine if you minded your own business lol.

15. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Best of luck to you, sir! I consider it a blessing that I live here, to be honest. I wouldn't wish for any place else (except for a change of scenery once in a blue moon - such as Sydney, Adelaide, or perhaps Europe on a trip). :grin:

Odd enough, we get a lot of tourists from HK here. Just talked with one a few days ago at work.

16. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is one of my plans for 2013. Even though Massachusetts was the first state to legalize gay marriages, a good portion of the state is made up of small towns who still view homosexuality as an abomination. I feel so isolated because there is really no GLBT community where I am, so my plan is to move (probably towards Boston) to a place with a very active GLBT community.

17. Nepenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not yet, but I'm hoping to change that by this time next year. I'm lucky to live in an accepting place, but it's also very small and isolated, which I've always disliked. There isn't much here, and not very many people either.

I've never been there, but I've been considering Phoenix AZ. My mom and I are going there next month to check things out. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll like it.

18. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Gee...kind of ironic that two Massachusetts people posting right after each other about the lack of GLBT activities in Massachusetts. :eek: :roflmao:

19. Nepenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Haha! Kind of sad, huh? There is a PFLAG group here, but their meeting schedule is weird and my work schedule is even weirder.

20. Jim

Jim

I live in the gayest city in the UK, I don't really wanna go haha! But I have to for Uni.. I hope I'll be able to find an LGBT group at whichever uni I go to..