1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Bible Okay with Homosexuals As Long as They Don't Have Sex?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Adarya, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Adarya

Well, when I was forced to religion class yesterday we got these books that were directed at teens. I paged through until I got to the part of the book about "The Christian Morals and Beliefs" which they then described how certain subjects relate to the 10 commandments and what Christians are supposed to believe about it. Under one of the commandments (which I think was adultery or something) things like abstinence, marriage, and the beliefs about sex were talked about until I came across one section dealing with homosexuality. The passage described how some people are attracted to the same-sex, which the Christian religion is supposedly okay with, until it comes to sex. Apparently, a person having sex with the same gender is considered immoral, unclean, and unacceptable because it can not be used to create. So, the basis of what I got out of the passage is that homosexuals are just fine if they never have sex in their life, and at the end the sentence that got stuck in my head was that "they should be helped on their journey, for it is a tough one" or something of the sort. Pretty much, it said that a homosexual is accepted by the Christian religion as long as they don't have sex in their lifetime.

I'm an atheist, so anything that the Bible/religion says to me is pretty much something that goes in one ear and out the other because it is crap to me. But for all of the rest of you on here, what do you think about this?

2. prism

That's very strange, I've never heard that. It doesn't sound like a very practical expectation. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Before EC has its routine religion bashing festival, I'd like to point out that not all churches and private religious schools teach this type of bullshit. I attended several Catholic schools until college and not once was I taught that homosexuality was wrong.

Just my two cents for the day. I see so many ignorant comments in threads like this, and then we boast for being such an open-minded community. We forget all of the Christian members of the LGBTQ community, including allies that have vocally announced their support for gay marriage. Don't let the ignorance of a few become the face of the many.

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, like all the hetero's use sex for procreation every time. :rolle:

4. I was raised Catholic and I heard this from the Church all the time.

5. Brenny

Basically yes. It isn't homosexuals per say that the Bible is against but their actions.

6. jargon

Yup, these groups say that its about procreation until you start pointing out their exceptions. I don't think any popular christian denomination is against married, heterosexual couples where one of the partners is infertile having sex, but obviously sex isnt used to procreate for them.

That said many, maybe most, christians where I live who are against gay marriage don't think just being gay is wrong as long as you dont act on it. I've heard some Catholics say that people who are born gay are meant to become celibate priests or nuns.

And not to sound dismissive, there are also plenty of gay and straight christians who have no problem with gay people living the romantic and sexual lives that they want :slight_smile: They pretty much fill out the full spectrum of possible stances on the subject.

7. djt820

I hate this argument. It makes no sense. I know the Bible isn't a book of sense but how can a homosexual be a homosexual in the first place if the homosexual isn't doing homosexual acts?

That just leads to repression of feelings.

It still blows my mind how LGBT people can believe the Bible is a good book when you yourself are a target in the book's eyes. That's like a Jew being a Nazi. Yeah, I'm religion bashing but I have yet to have someone make sense of that. It doesn't matter if a few Christian organizations are cool with gays, that hatred is still in the book they preach and they can never change that.

Why are people okay with that? But I know the answer to that already. It's hope and faith and I can't argue those things but gay Christians will always be a paradox to me.

8. Ticklish Fish

eh, not sure if there's hatred in the book or the reader who's got hatred lol

9. djt820

Yeah, I'm pretty darn sure there's a lot of prejudice, and hatred in the book. That hatred obviously rubs off on the reader.

Now I'm going to stop while I'm ahead because this thread will turn into a war zone and OP is asking Christians' opinions. I just wanted to put my 2 cents out there.

10. Equalist

Equalist Guest

This books seems to limit sex to strictly some form of intercourse (God is naughty). However, there are various forms of sex that can't be used to create regardless of gender, but that book probably doesn't mention anything about that. That would be because writers of these kinds of books have intellect comparable to that of a snail. As for the accusations of being "immoral" and "unclean", there really isn't much going for those either. "Morals" were not created by any form of religion, so that argument lacks any form of merit. "Unclean" isn't even defined. What is considered "unclean"? The ability to transfer diseases? In that case, sex between two people of the opposite gender would also be "unclean", but they aren't against that. I'm not sure what else they could consider "unclean", besides the likely belief of the author that "Because I am this way, anybody different than me is unclean", which is why they shouldn't be permitted to even write such books; it's an insult to knowledge and literature.

Obviously, I think this is all nonsense.

11. Ticklish Fish

sadly, just as the world is developing, you have a mixture of "factual" literature and knowledge but also "unproven" things. Like in chinese medicine, some ingredients/herbs/whatever make no fucking sense with modern knowledge and has to be thrown out while some ingredients survive age and time.

also, if I remember correctly, one of the Jesus's disciple is a doctor, everyone else IDK. but certainly NOT ALL bible authors are dumbo macaronis

12. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

I've heard this many times - and usually from people who think they are being incredibly understanding and compassionate towards gay people by only advocating that they don't have sex or become involved in relationships.

13. Deaf Not Blind

There are a lot of LGBTQ Christians. You love God, and you are gay...simple as that.

---------- Post added 17th Jan 2013 at 11:17 PM ----------

Luke was a chosen disciple of Jesus, and wrote the Gospel of Luke. He was a highly educated physician, and so he wrote it in a very poetic Greek that many like for how it is written...choice of words and all. He made sure to note all the healings that he found impossible but saw firsthand.

USA, medicine is very much kept by the medical union from accepting a lot of really well known to work things...like about 15 years ago a doctor begged me to never say her name but that she whispered to me for a cold use chicken soup. She knew it worked, but because had not yet been scientifically proven to work, the union said any doc recommending to patients to breathe over and eat chicken noodle soup would be barred from ever practicing again. No joke. Later I saw a big to do in the newspaper how tests showed it works better to breathe than salt water alone, they didn't know why, but as it had been DISCOVERED to work in a study, now the doctors union allows it to be talked about to patients. OH BROTHER!

By the way, my family has 2 plasters/poltices that have saved lives of those who were dying of pneumonia. Doctors won't tell you to use such, so they are almost forgotten. I wrote down the family recipes before my gramma died. 2 saved...how many others lost?

14. prism

I understand why it's confusing. As a gay Catholic, this is how I perceive The Bible: it was written by humans over the course of thousands of years. It has been edited and re-translated thousands of times. It is not flawless, but it contains a set of stories that helps us to better understand God and how we should behave. I believe in the morals that these stories represent, not the notion that they actually occurred.

There are never winners in this debate. Atheists cannot convert Christians and Christians cannot convert Atheists, and neither party should ever try. There are aspects of my religion that you could never understand no matter how much I explain it, so I won't even bother.

IMO, if whatever you believe in is harmless and gets you through your day, I'm cool with that.

#14 prism, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  15. Alexander69

One thing that gets me is that homosexuality has always been around its not a new thing happening its always been there! We are created the same way any heterosexual is created....... So why are we hated and considered unclean? I'm a very clean person like they don't even know me how the fuck can a religion say we are okay as long as we don't have sex? To me sex is NOT about creating its about proving your love connecting with each other..... So when a heterosexual has sexy they are planing only to creat? Ya that's bill shit its cause they are horny they have sex "most" of the time not always. I hate religion I hate it! My family is over the top Catholics and I hate hate hate it! I chose to yes believe in god because I do not believe that he created the bible the way it is translated today. I'm so sick if people hating us telling me that homosexuals have a disease in the head a chemical imbalance like WTF excuse me I function just fine

16. Deaf Not Blind

I think actually many Christians in years past anyways had a really hard time accepting even their heterosexual desires...they felt sinful for having it. I think also that is why Catholics especially tend to think being asexual in choice or not having desire is more holy. I am not Catholic but I wish they allowed some men to be married and still be ministers/priests in some capacity. I would hope that if they did they would not begin to look down on the priests who did not want to marry however.

17. Ianthe

The meaning of most of the anti-gay passages is debated. It's definitely not a central theme, as you might think from the way some people talk about it. There are only a handful of passages that even potentially refer to homosexuality, and most of those most likely actually refer to pederasty and/or temple prostitution.

Jesus did not speak (in the bible) on the topic of homosexuality, unless you count the passage about eunuchs. In that passage, he excuses three types of "eunuchs" (which apparently meant men who had no sexual interest in women, whether or not they had been castrated) from heterosexual marriage: those born that way (asexuals, and perhaps gay men?), those made that way by men (castrated), and those who chose to forgo sex for the sake of God.

Women, of course, had to marry whomever (a man) they were told to, whether they liked it or not, and were not supposed to have sex with anyone else, ever. So their sexual orientation was sort of a moot point. They had no choice of sexual partners at all. As such, it's not really gone into in the bible.

18. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

This is something i feel strongly about. I believe that God does call gays to a life of celibacy. In the bible gay people are sometimes referred to as eunuchs, meaning a person who cannot have normal sexual relations. God has spoken highly of these people in many verses in the bible but He doesnt agree with homosexual activity. I think having same sex feelings is okay but God has clearly forbidden homosexual sexual activity. Because of this, I have chosen to live a celibate life. I will always have these gay feelings but He has called me not to act on them. So I will obey

19. MysticalFantasy

Out Status:
    Some people
    Im very glad to see another fellow gay christian, one who has chosen the life of celibacy but still want to be in a relationship with others that doesnt lead to sexual activity. :slight_smile:
    Good on ya, BoiGeorge!

I read that passage in the bible and an indepth reading of it online somewhere by a transgendered priest, that God loved Eunuchs and he cherished them and understood how they felt, but i believe that though the Bible is a holy word, it is also a man made bible too.

However though i love God and have a strong personal relationship with him, I dont believe that he is against two people who are in love to make love.

Just those who try to find pleasure in it. God made us who we are, and he could of programmed us to be straight, i mean he is the creator after all, but he didnt make us all the same.

20. Deaf Not Blind

I have posted before that it is more confusing what is gay sex with cases such as me, transgendered, or intersex peeps who have something of both right down to the very cell DNA.

If homosexuality is not permissible in actions, but heterosexuality is encouraged, what would be accepted as heterosexual sex for a transman or somebody who is bothgendered at birth?