1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Celibacy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BoiGeorge, Jan 18, 2013.

1. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

As a Christian, I have chosen to remain celibate. I believe God has called me to a life of celibacy. I believe that being gay isnt wrong, its the acting on it which is (in Biblical viewpoint anyway). What are your views on celibacy?

2. Robin

Well, at one point I believed that I would be celibate as well, but I sort of grew out of it. The idea of being celibate because of sexual orientation for God is admirable. I respect people who do this, but I don't necessarily agree that remaining celibate for God is just a trial that God has tasked you with. (I learned that at my church.) I believe that God wants you to express yourself and do things that help you explore who you are, and celibacy is very restrictive on that philosophy. It's not my place to judge others though. It all comes down to what makes a person happy, unless that happiness is subconsciously just a way of running away from a bigger issue or looking good for others or literally fearing God. Fearing God is the big one there. I used to fear God so much that I would lay in bed every night rejecting Satan over and over again. I wanted to get into heaven badly, and that's why I wanted to be celibate earlier in my life, but if heaven is a place that forces you to do things like remain celibate and not be yourself and follow the laws set down by a certain higher power, then heaven doesn't sound like all it's cracked up to be. We all know that heaven is a fantastic place though, so it just doesn't make sense to me that this would be so. So no. I don't believe in celibacy for gays, or for anyone at all, because God, who is like a good father, would not want a son or daughter to feel as though they need to sacrifices themselves in painful ways to please him.

And that's my overly dramatic monologue for the day. :slight_smile:

3. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can respect that, but I want to show my love and affection for my mate through intimacy. ^_^

but that's quite humble of you...

4. Deaf Not Blind

FEAR OF GOD...

Some peeps mistranslate that and really are afraid of him.
    The actual definition my pastor said is the AWE of Him, in respect.
    It is not like Zeus, who was easily pissed off and would strike Greeks/Romans down with lightning bolts...yet somehow that paegan thinking is very much alive in humans.
    God is LOVE, yes...if you hate him, do things to turn others purposefully away from him, He is slow to anger but you will eventually get it...not likely by lightning but I will duck if you are near me just in case!
    Nah seriously, you are just to respect him as King and your DADDY...Abba means Papa or Dada...a child's word for a Father they want to hug them. Jesus used it.
    Just the same you are to respect your earthly parents by showing them honor in all you do...be an upstanding person in the community and you will.
    Love everybody, never hate. That is what is commanded.

5. Jim

Jim

I'm not celibate, I'm just not interested in sex at all. I find it strange that the bible says that it's only bad to have gay sex, but liking men is fine. It makes no sense?..

6. vyvance

I see nothing wrong with choosing to be celibate, just like I see nothing wrong with choosing to have sex. Do what makes you happy.

I don't really necessarily agree with your reason to choose celibacy, but its your faith not mine.

#6 vyvance, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  7. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Because it's not procreative sex, and because of that it is a sin and you will burn for murdering your unborn children."

That's what i'm told in contrary to the whole "butts are for bathrooms argument". I don't understand why a book written by men in the the 5th century is taken as the literal word of god, without any argument what-so-ever, but whatever. I don't hate people for believing in the bible, but they could be dangerous people. Look at Jihadists: they follow the Koran to the "T", so they're going to heaven quicker than any of us.

Also, a big point i've made in the past: if you're going to "pick and choose" your verses to follow, like "not having gay sex" then you should also stand by the sword and kill/ die for god. You should never suffer witches or non-believers, you should wear clothing made of more than one fiber, you shouldn't eat pork, you should never work on sunday, risk being stoned to death. You are commanded by your god to go forth and do his will just like the Crusaders did during the 6th Century or so..

and if you're crazy enough to do all of the things that the bible tells you so blindly, then I will see you on the battlefield, whoever those individuals may be.

#7 Shadowsettler, Jan 18, 2013
  8. LiquidSwords

As a non-Christian my opinion probably doesn't mean much to you but I fundamentally disagree with this, the idea that homosexual acts are wrong that is. It's the newest form of bigotry you can hear from various religious people these days, like they've finally accepted that sexuality isn't a choice, but that it's still wrong to act on your natural inclinations when for straight people it's not.

Like the CofE recently saying that gay men are allowed to be bishops but only if they promise to be celibate (not a requirement for straight bishops). It's not a step forward at all. Sex is the most natural thing and you can't tell me that telling gay people that sex is wrong isn't almost exactly the same as saying that being gay itself is wrong.

I know you weren't trying to preach, and I don't take any notice because I'm not religious, but pushing the idea to other gay Christians that sex is wrong is pretty irresponsible IMO. When people are trying desperately to reconcile their sexuality with their religion, this is the last thing they want to be hearing.

9. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you think gay sex is wrong and want to be celibate, knock yourself out, hon. No one is going to try and stop you.

10. Deaf Not Blind

Do you mind showing me where it says you will BURN for murder of your unborn children for being gay? I do not recall that.

---------- Post added 18th Jan 2013 at 06:45 AM ----------

Nah, that is where you are VERY wrong...he said clearly it is just his belief, and that he felt God was CALLING HIM to be celibate. That is very very diffent than saying "the Bible Clearly states that"...this is just same as you saying you had a dream that you should become a teacher, and after really thinking about it, you feel you were meant to be a teacher as you are really good at that, so you believe you should be a teacher yourself...it is just a belief you have, not right or wrong. He asked what we think about celibacy, not that celibacy is what all of us must do. I think you read into it stuff. Believe me, if I felt offended as a Christian I would be 1st one to tell him off.

11. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's their excuses, not mine, and I get sick of hearing "God has mysterious plans".

There's nothing wrong with it. It's completely natural.

.. and to be honest there is no need to show you where it says that, because leviticus is pretty toight about what it means by "our blood shall be upon us for being gay", regardless of what the reasons may be, however ridiculous they are.

So be a smart alleck about it, because it still stands on that point.

#11 Shadowsettler, Jan 18, 2013
  12. Deaf Not Blind

how is it being a smart alleck to ask you about something you put in quotation marks to show me where the quote is from in the Bible as you mentioned? that was a pretty harsh quote...so i want to read it for myself. if you did not actually get that quote from the Bible and you are just saying how you feel, then you should tell me...not get upset.

13. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's intrinsic to what the bible is saying.... how could you not interpret it that way? There's no secret decoder ring for the bible. It's a fairly straight forward book.

If you seriously haven't read it, maybe you should: Front-to-Back, page for page. It's not all "Jesus, the loving son of god and gentle shepherd". There are a lot of horrible things in there.

and i'll say it again. Anal sex is not dirty. Every part of you has some micro-organism, doesn't make it dirty.

I should be dead by now. I had a mate for 6 years; we stopped using condoms after year 1. I never caught gonorrhea or anything of the sort, neither has he... explain that to me, please, if you would.

Did you know that vaginas carry millions of bacteria? So does yogurt...

#13 Shadowsettler, Jan 18, 2013
  14. Deaf Not Blind

Really? Some of it is def not straight forward. That is why there are so many interpretations.

I was told, and read places that seem to verify the thought, that after Jesus died and rose again, he became the Law so that we did not need to obey all the Old Testament Laws or go to hell anymore. this is from several ideas, one is where I believe Paul had a dream and there was pork and he told the angel in his dream he is a good Jew and that the Law said Jews (not Gentiles btw) are forbidden as it is filthy, and the angel of God said whatever God makes clean is clean, so Christians can eat pork. Note that what was dirty if made clean by God is clean?

It also said, which is where I think BoiGeorge is getting his thinking from, in New Testament that they had been doing several kinds of sexual acts among them homosexual ones and that they should stop doing those acts as they are Christians and forgiven. There is nothing in NT of the old Law for Jews for gays to be killed and definitely nothing I read about them FRYING.

but if you saw a version that did, I want to look it up.

BTW, anything I posted here, I am happy to look up for anybody the actual statements in the Bible to be more accurate. :slight_smile:

15. LiquidSwords

But it was also clear that her beliefs were based on her religion, and this it is the "Biblical viewpoint" that gay people having sex is wrong. Doesn't matter whether it's a personal opinion or not, if someone says they think that gay people having sex is wrong then I'll disagree strongly with them. Apologies to the OP if my reply sounded a bit aggressive but I stand by that I think it's an irresponsible thing to say.

16. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can give you some scripture.

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is an abomination.[2](Leviticus 18:22 KJV)

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.[3](Leviticus 20:13 KJV)

I might be an athiest, but I know the bible like the PA road-map. I know all the schematics, and the semantics are usually very clear! as you can see.

Nobody is called to be celibate for any reason other than: they're asexual and find enlightenment in being that way, or because they've been convinced that it's "wrong", and boygeorge said it himself that she sees it that way.

I just hope it doesn't have any emotional strain on him/ her, and hopefully she can find someone who will be celibate with too and remain loyal. I couldn't imagine how difficult it will be, but I'm hoping for you that it happens.

We might have different views, but as a fellow man I hope that you find your way in life and that you are happy. :]

#16 Shadowsettler, Jan 18, 2013
  17. Hexagon

I don't have sex, but I'm not celibate, and certainly not for any ethical or religious reasons. I mean, its up to the person, but personally I don't see what is so admirable (or bad, for that matter) about being celibate.

18. Deaf Not Blind

yeah, but i don't get it. if you don't read the Bible and are not Christian and don't go to church, why do you even care? HE didn't say that EVERYBODY has to do this, it was personal, see? So what is making you say it is something you need to strongly disagree with if it is all about Him?

And I am curious about you saying SHE, as he told me that although genderqueerish...feels often boy and sometimes girl. I am more offended by pronouns misused.

---------- Post added 18th Jan 2013 at 07:16 AM ----------

Leviticus is in Old Testament.

And I said truly that as a church goer we learned that it is not as simple as reading a dictionary. OT is for JEWS! I am not Jewish, neither are you, and furthermore, that part is done away with after Jesus rose again.

None the less, some may choose to not have sex who are heterosexual as well from interpretations. That is up to them, but I hope it is not from FEAR or self hate.

I think in essence you and I both want him to be happy and have a good full life.

But I personally believe gays don't fry in hell. I have not seen any evidence in my studies nor has my pastor said that.

19. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's the problem. I read the bible, and it immediately turned me athiest. Like I said, it's not a matter of what BoiGeorge wants to do, that's up to him or her, but do not get in my face about the bible, DeafnotBlind! I probably know the book better than you do, and i'm an athiest.

I care because it's in freakin' black-and-white print!! *taps the table* Look for yourself: the word of god written right there in front of you. Read it right there and you'll probably understand why it frusturates us. I've read the entirebible front to freakin' back, not just the NT like you claimed to have read.

Considering it's a damn book is even more alarming. I can get behind the Jesus-thing fine and dandy, he seems alright, but I cannot believe for one second that a book written by crotchety homophobic, chauvenistic old men from the 5th century is the true word of god...

f** that.

That's how I know. :kiss:

#19 Shadowsettler, Jan 18, 2013
  20. HypnoLondon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think we all make choices about what to do or not depending on our influences and how we feel about ourselves. What is right for some is not so for others. I think it's important to make the decision that you consider is right for you and I believe you have done that.