1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rednecks?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Renge, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Renge

My teacher says that she's a redneck. She said its like people who likes to hunt/fight with animals. And I don't understand what's that mean. When I search in google, it said that redneck is like people who wears red scarf, mostly a farmer and I become more confused ... Can anyone explain it? Are they racist or maybe homophobes? Because I saw a movie that the redneck character is racist

2. That term is usually on the derogatory side, and isn't the nicest term out there. Typically, yes it can refer to racist people, particularly those in the South in the United States. All of the things you mentioned can describe such a person, but if I had to define it, I would say it's a conservative, white person from the South (United States).

3. SomeNights

Not necicarillay true. It's god a very wide range of meaning. It can be the derogatory term you describe, but it can also just mean someone from a rual farming area. We floted that term around a lot back home ( mid-west USA ).

4. Deaf Not Blind

I am a redneck.
    My class considered themselves proud rednecks.

Cowboy boots, duster coats, Stetson hats, plaid button up shirts, jeans, and spitting tobacco...and many guys also drove pickup trucks and we all loved country music.

Farm town, 4H, scout troops and respect for our nation's heroes.
    You think we are calling ourselves derogatory names??
    So, you wanna call me a racist? I will knock you down until you apologize if you do!

---------- Post added 18th Jan 2013 at 04:10 AM ----------

I saw characters in movies where the gays are psycho killers, true?
    I saw characters in movies where asians are all polite and nerds, true?
    So you have a teacher who is a female redneck...you seriously are calling her a homophobe and racist because you saw it in the movies?? Wow...please tell me you don't believe Hollywood is authentic. Why don't you just ask your teacher for more information what she means, like you would ask me what transgender means? Google is not always right either you know. Red scarf?? HA! I don't own one.

#4 Deaf Not Blind, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  5. Kidd

Kidd Guest

It depends on where you are. In more urban and elitist areas, the term redneck means someone who...

1) Drives a truck, the bigger the truck the bigger the redneck is.
    2) Owns guns, and is proud of that fact.
    3) On the poorer side of the economic spectrum
    4) Loves the outdoors
    5) Has animals. A lot of them. Think barnyard animals, but they're not on a farm, if you know what I mean.
    6) Typically, the redneck stereotype means they're xenophobic, homophobic, and usually racist.
    7) This is a big one: they're republican/tea party and proud of it.
    8) Tend to be on the religious side of things but they don't actually follow any of their religious rules.
    9) They drink a lot of cheap beer.

...and that's the stereotype, for here anyway. It's a certain kind of "white trash." Watch Honey Boo Boo's show if you want to see what a redneck is.

(I'm not saying I agree with any of this, but that's the stereotype. Don't jump me for it.)

6. Deaf Not Blind

I'm jumping you!

7. Bolin

I live in South Carolina, which is probably the most "Southern" place there is, and I have, unfortunately, seen all these stereotypes. Not all "rednecks" are like this, though. I've actually known (self-proclaimed) rednecks who weren't religious, were accepting of LGBT individuals (even had LGBT friends), and were very nice and not rowdy.

8. Renge

Hey please don't be mad i'm just asking, i'm asking because i really dont know, so sorry if i offended anyone and asking in a rude way :frowning2: im sorry really...

9. Bree

When I think of the word "redneck" the image that comes to mind is of old-truck-driving beer-drinking livestock-farming uneducated white males. Misogynistic, homophobic, conservative....

10. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think anyone is mad at you.

Kidd's description of a stereotypical redneck is on the money. I know that some people will disagree but sadly, what Kidd wrote is how people in the US view rednecks. Larry the Cable Guy is making millions off of the stereotyped redneck.

Here's a perfect example of Larry the Cable Guy....

[YOUTUBE]Rhr_p1Iy1M0[/YOUTUBE]

---------- Post added 18th Jan 2013 at 11:22 AM ----------

And for the record...while typically it is believed that rednecks are only in the south....I'm in Massachusetts...in a semi rural/suburban area with a lot of small towns....and we're loaded with 'rednecks.'

11. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Listen to Deaf Not Blind, since they are one and that's a fairly accurate portrayal for alot of rednecks. When I think of redneck I think of Jeff Foxworthy, what little I've seen of him. (Maybe not everything, but you know... We like some of his jokes.)

I'm a hillbilly, I come from a hillbilly family. I've kind of strayed from that now, but I guess I still relate sometimes. We got our Southern accents, or actually hillbilly ones, our mountains, our companion animals, our family, all that good stuff. I think I'm kind of creating a new version of hillbilly for myself, since I still kind of want to be a part of that culture, yet at the same time I find myself drifting away. I guess I'm more of a nature person. (At heart, I actually prefer the indoors! I care about things like that deeply though.)

And while hillbillies and rednecks ain't exactly the same thing, they're pretty similiar.
    Correct me if I'm wrong on anything, but I do come from a proud hillbilly, country family you know. Got some people like myself who turned into city folks as well, but it's all good.

Renge, I don't blame you for wanting to know. I think that's cool. :slight_smile:

12. cloudwatcher

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In Arkansas, a redneck hunts, fishes, drinks lots of cheap beer, has (sometimes lots of) guns, spends weekends riding 4-wheelers when not hunting or fishing.

I used to dislike these types of people in high school, because they were generally prejudiced against minorities and definitely LGBT folks. As I got older though, I realized that people are people and there are good, bad, and in between people in every subculture.

That said, if someone called me a redneck I'd probably be a little bit proud because, in my area, its also a general label for "salt of the earth", humble, family centered people.

13. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Hey now! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Honey Boo Boo is the queen and they are actually none of those things you mentioned so yeah :badgrin:

14. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    if you have any idea what a stereotypical Southern person portrayed in the media today is like it shouldn't be that hard for you to draw an image of this.

Honestly l despise Southerner bashing. Not from the South myself but part of my family is.

Not saying you were bashing, just saying this thread could easily go that way and honestly until you've had a bad experience with a Southern person it'd be cool if you didn't just throw "homophobic" in with the standard description.

Although l understand that Southern=/=redneck. lt's just that some Southern people who aren't ignorant homophobes wear the redneck label (in jest, somewhat) and it shouldn't be taken that seriously.

15. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

also, not all rednecks are racists or bigots. You know who are racists and bigots? Racists and bigots. That transcends social label. In fact, there are LGBT rednecks are well, they just aren't as common. A redneck is simply a more rural person. Think farmers... the term comes from the red sunburn they'd get on their neck from working in the field all day.

16. Ticklish Fish

well...
    if rednecks wear red scarves... redcoats wear red coats?...

17. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

Red coats did wear red....

18. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Before anyone jumps on me about my post, I must point out that throughout my post I used the word stereotypical. Just to clear things up.

19. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

Honey Boo Boo is a better example of what we call: White Trash.

20. Renge

I don't know about red coats either ...