1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal to sometimes feel really depressed being gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caliber, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sometimes i get really upset and depressed over the fact I'm a lesbian, it makes me feel alone and the fact i have no one to talk to makes it so much worse for me, i was just wondering if anyone else feels like this from time to time.

2. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I feel like this a lot, unfortunately. I don't hate being gay, but I hate some of the coercion that comes with it. After I came out a few days ago, lately I've been feeling guilty for admitting it. Also being reminded of the friends and connections I've lost because of my sexuality didn't help, either.

I think it's normal to feel depressed about it from time to time, but not ashamed. If I had a support group, and a few other gay friends, I would see my view drastically change. I would be very happy to be gay.

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Perfectly normal. Why, even at this very second I'm wishing I were straight! Like the last poster, I don't have any close friends who are LGBT or a support group, but it would probably help wonders...

4. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We've all been there, but i'm more upset over the fact that people are so ignorant to what it really is and what it means for us, as if they wouldn't already know just by looking at themselves.. We shouldn't need these "safe haven" places to come to in order to be ourselves. It's not right, but I STILL love this place~ n_n

#4 Shadowsettler, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  5. pyroboy74

I honestly feel that way on an almost daily basis. Around a lot of my friends I feel like the third or fifth wheel because they have the person they are dating, and I struggle just to find a guy to talk to that is also gay. As said before, I'm not ashamed, it's just a more difficult lifestyle because the social stigma and general ignorance cast upon being a homosexual. It really wears down on me, and whenever I do try to talk about it, I usually get "Oh my god you are such a downer. You need to see the bright side." (gay friend [my ex] on base who thinks the world is all rainbows and butterflies) or "You know what you need? To go and get laid. Don't bother putting yourself out there for a relationship. Just have some fun." Great advice, huh?

6. hello1992

yes!

For me, i am sad about a number of issues:

-my parents are muslim and my dad would not except me if i come out, it may end up being a choice between family or love. In fact i know the shit will hit the fan at some point, and i am dreading the day when it does.

-it has sort of f*cked up my identity and confidence, we all just want to be normal and not be something which many use to make fun of others.

-its a massive life changer, it diverges from the normal protocol

7. Van

Van

I get upset/apathetic/depressed because I'm lonely and because I think I'll be the only person on this planet that will end up all alone. :dry:

8. PawsUp456

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel like that all the time. I go to a conservative catholic hs and it's prob been the worst decision of my life, they are ALWAYS trying to make you feel guilty it's crazy. One day people....one day!

9. Bolin

I think it's perfectly normal. I sometimes get depressed because I know that once I fully come out, the vast majority of my family and "friends" won't have anything to do with me anymore.

10. Eletricalmonkss

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I mean at-least you're not the only one. I feel that way too but I believe most people are depressed creatures deep down they just don't express it either due to social stigma or because it's frankly nobody's damn business. We're all young here and wether someone has been out longer or shorter or maybe not even out at all we are all growing up on our own without the influence our parents had over us in our younger years. Life will get easier as we get older it's just that being in your teens/20's sucks.

11. Naomilly92

(*hug*), unfortunately, gay people can get lonely living in a straight world, luckily, there are opportunities to get out and meet other gay people, such as social groups or the gay scene in your area. Maybe look for some social LGBT groups around your area, see if you can find anything that suits you, or ask a friend if they will go to the gay scene with you.

If you require someone to share your thoughts with, you could always confide in a close friend or a therapist

12. leer

I have had periods of depression the first was when I was 16 out of school and just didnt know what I wanted in life just sat around smoking weed.
    last year I had another bout and just did loads of hours at work .

13. Eletricalmonkss

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You should also get out some more and just have some fun. Wether you get a boyfriend/girlfriend so what you can make lots of friends in the mean while. Lovers are great but friends can also lift you up

14. leer

I agree 100% it was other people like friends & family that basically encouraged me to get my arse in gear

15. agonizingnose

i feel sad sometimes but it'll be fine. once my friend asked why i was so sad i told her and she just hugged me. people care.

16. Incognito10

I think, as others have said, many gay people have felt that. I would suggest finding as many books on self-acceptance (directed toward gay people) as you can and read them and highlight. Also, look at how many successful openly gay people there are...it honestly gave me a boost when I found out one of the politicians in my state who lived in my county and was very well liked was a gay man and open about it. I know this is odd, but this was a way for me to see that there are other gay people out there who are happy and pursuing what they want in life. I've since researched many other successful gay people...they are like my role models I guess.

17. jp16

Were really in the same situation.

18. Abraxas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not that I get depressed that I'm gay, but it does get me a bit down, as I feel separated in this life. The social stigma, though dying, weighs heavy. I'm not out, save for fewer people than I have fingers on one hand, and I'd love to be free to be me. I don't have the courage for that, so that's what gets to me. I'm okay with being gay, but I'm not okay with other people not being okay with me being gay.

19. Silvails52

Don't worry, I've been there too. There were (and still are) times when I wish I was straight. That I wouldn't have to worry about my family, my friends,or anything else. But there are other times when I wouldn't want to give it up. I mean, hey, I like me some men booty! But it happens to all of us, I'm sure. Just try to find a community where you can be yourself.

20. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

This depresses me as well, and makes me feel extremely anxious.