1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on Homophobes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Menaki-Neko, Jan 18, 2013.

?

Homophobes?

1. I don't Mind

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. I sort of mind

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. I do Mind

16 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. I really Mind

17 vote(s)
    29.3%
  5. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (really, really mind)

15 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Hey ya'l! I thought that it would interesting to get everybody's input on on this. I only dislike them when they're directly harassing me about LGBT, so overall I have a pretty high tolerance. Another reason is that they're speaking their mind about what they believe, just like we do.
    What's your take on this?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As long as they do not project their beliefs onto me, I'm fine with them. I have my beliefs and they have theirs. It's only when they begin to directly insult me that I have problems with them.

3. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I couldn't care less...

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't tolerate evil people. I hope I've made myself extremely clear.

5. Divopix

I don't like ignorant people, but if it isn't directed to myself or my friends, then I may be okay with it depending on who is saying it.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do mind, because every time they spread a homophobic message, they reinforce the status quo that LGBT is generally not cool, and make it seem a little bit more okay for others to say the same. If somebody is TRULY homophobic, i.e. totally grossed out by gayness, they should keep it to themselves at the very least, or better yet, try to understand what disturbs them about it so much.

7. Equalist

Equalist Guest

It depends what kind of homophobe and what kind of "belief" they have.

If they only believe that gay people should not be allowed to get married, then it doesn't really bother me too much. I understand it's an institution that was initially meant to be between a man and a woman (I think), so I can understand why they might be against that. I personally don't care since I don't like marriage at all; I also don't understand why people care so much about protecting an institution with a 50% failure rate. To me, a wedding is a very expensive coin toss. But, whatever floats your boat I guess.

The homophobes that are against gay people just for the heck of it, because they're different, are a completely different story. When it comes to them, I really don't care what they believe; their mindset is corrupt. I do not live a life sugarcoating the behavior of the human population, I will not even begin to remotely suggest that everyone's beliefs have some sort of merit, and I do not think everybody in this world is worthy of respect. These homophobes' beliefs are completely irrational, illogical, and offensive. I'm not saying these people should be killed or anything, but I certainly don't think they deserve to be listened to. It's like somebody saying they don't believe black people or women are humans. Is any normal person going to take them seriously? Would a school district want to hire this person as a teacher? Absolutely not. Technically, this would be disrespectful, but nobody cares, because this person doesn't deserve respect. It's the same thing for people who hate gay people for no apparent reason beside the fact that they are different. However, whether homosexuality is a choice or not is no theory, just like it's no theory that black people and women are humans, and they certainly have no control over their race or biological gender. Yet, these homophobes are given considerable amounts of respect in today's world. This is all, of course, evident where I live, the United States.

I am all for intellect, reason, and rationality. These people display the complete opposite despite the free, public education they are given as a citizen of the United States.

8. Vesper

Can't stand them. I can't help but think of all the homophobes out there who are making life hell for their loved ones or others in their communities who are LGBT, donating to organizations such as AFA and NOM to fund anti-LGBT discrimination, or voting known anti-LGBT voices into office.

#8 Vesper, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  9. curlycats

.....they really piss me off. i am able to look the other way for only so long, and that is only if they don't involve ANYONE else in their crap, regardless of whether i know the person or not.

10. jp16

First of all they're really ignorant, not open minded, full of hate and really annoying. I can't stand them they pisses me off.

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

As long as they keep their uninformed position to themselves, I don't mind.

12. Eric

I think they're great. There's no community more united in their support of single-issue, antisecular politicians and fried chicken establishments than the homophobes. :slight_smile:

On a serious note, I generally don't like people who are naturally predisposed to hate me. So no, I'm not the biggest fan of homophobes.

13. Fiddledeedee

Depends on the type of homophobia. Some people simply have different beliefs to myself, and to judge them for that is as bad as them judging me for being bi. It's when they try to force those beliefs onto me that problems arise. Some people are assholes who bully gays, use slurs, and so on. They're the ones I'd actually call homophobes (especially if they're afraid of looking gay themselves) and I have a problem with them just as I have a problem with any bullies.

14. Eatthechildren

15. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel uncomfortable around homophobes... the same why I feel uncomfortable around racists and other people of such prejudices. I don't think they should be allowed to abuse people under the protection of "free speech".

16. mangolassi

mangolassi Guest

They are idiotic, sometimes I wonder if they realize what they are saying.

I will never forget a friend telling me "but that's not love." when we were "discussing" homosexuality:bang: Oh the irony when she told me "the weight was lifted from my eyes, and I was no longer blind when I became a born again Christian." Looks like God gave her tunnel vision.

#16 mangolassi, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
  17. Linthras

Linthras Guest

There's a difference:
    Being bi is your own thing.
    Being a homophobe, because of belief X, is about someone else's thing.

You being bi is self-knowledge.
    Them being homophobes is prejudice and ignorance.

I.o.w. fact vs belief.

18. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

I resent being thought of as less than human, and deserving of less than equal rights.

19. ameliawesome

i wouldn't mind so much if i heard someone say something directed at me, i can really handle that. but i really really really really mind that there are people in this world whose lives are more difficult, painful, or taken by "homophobes." if they want to sound like ignorant fools that's fine, let 'em go for it. but if they're using their beliefs to justify their violence, that is not at all okay.

20. Hexagon

You haven't given me an option that fits my opinion, so I won't vote.

I feel sorry for them. They're misguided, and their everyday lives must be consumed by hatred. I also know that they make the lives of others difficult, sometimes intolerably so, as we've seen in those suicides last year. As such, whenever I hear something homophobic, I try to educate.