1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans folks: Name Change Question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by aeva, Jan 19, 2013.

1. aeva

I have no idea how it popped into my head, but I found myself thinking today...

Would you still change your name as part of the transition process if your birth name was gender neutral?

Would you associate it with the time you spent portraying your assigned gender, even though the name itself was neutral, or would it more just be part of your identity as a whole, and you'd therefore keep it?

Just curious...

2. J Snow

I would likely change the spelling, but I think it would be nice to not need to switch names. Considering I was born Michael, called Larry through most of my school experience, and have alternated between Lauren, Michelle, and Kelleigh, its really kind of screwed with my self identity to an extent...

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a friend who's a trans guy and he goes by the same name. His name's Jory, and that's not his full birth name, but it's what he's always gone by.

4. Hexagon

I would change it. As it turned out, my birth name has nothing to do with my real name, so I never encountered that particular dilema. I would constantly remember my rather painful past, and also worry that the few people who I know who knew me before transition wouldn't be able to see me as male if I kept the old name.

5. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would keep my name since it's gender neutral. But I'm glad I'm female, so no need to worry about that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. IrisM

I would change it anyways. If just to distance myself from ever being associated with it again.

7. lynngv

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Change it,I did it when I was 18.

8. Maybe, depending on how neutral it is. I'd be cool with Jaime, but probably not Chris.

9. mothcaterpillar

I like names like Alex and Levi but I avoided them because they can be neuteral so I guess I'd still have to change it

10. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not certain where I fit, but I'll keep my androgynous nickname.

11. hmph

hmph Guest

being born Alexandra, I never really had a problem with my name. most people call me Alex, or by my last name. very rarely do i use my full name, unless i have to.

if my parents gave me a very feminine name when i was born, then i would probably ask my parents to rename me.

but i understand for a lot of people it's not as easy as having a unisex name, or asking their parents' advice. so choosing a name can distance the person from the past. i never really considered changing my name.

#11 hmph, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
  12. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I reckon it'd be nice not to have to change it (the nickname at least). Having the stupid, masculine scottish name I once had was tough and there are not even any feminine versions, so I had to go with something entirely new. Having a neutral name would be good as I also would be able to respect my parents wishes and I wouldn't have had to decide on a name out of all the thousands out there.

13. GayJay

my name was only female but i was never really called by it, so my name could be gender neutral jessie/ jesse. But i still chose to change it for the breaking away of that person i am just so repulsed by and also having a male name makes passing easier, as i dont leave the person guessing when i say 'hi im jason'