1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manti Te'o

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by alTO, Jan 20, 2013.

1. alTO

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey guys,

I'm wondering what your thoughts might be on this.

I'm sure many of you have been hearing the relentless news about Manti Te'o, the Notre Dame football player who whose relatively long-term, deceased girlfriend turned out to, well, not exist. He claims he is the victim of a hoax, but many say his story just doesn't add up, and even mainstream media are now cautiously addressing the one explanation that would explain it.

As this Huff Post article discusses, Te'o may be gay, and used his fake girlfriend to satisfy those who wondered why a popular linebacker like himself was single. As he became more popular and the NFL draft came nearer, the pressure to meet his make-believe girlfriend would have increased (game appearances, etc.). Killing her off addressed that nicely. It would also free him from dating for a while, with mourning and all.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on this. If he is, in fact, gay, I sympathize with him. Professional sports aren't exactly the most accepting places. I kind of hope that, if he is, he decides to come out. It's obviously his business, but it would be inspiring to many and show that even huge, "manly" football players can be gay.

Thoughts?

2. photoguy93

I think there's something fishy in this situation. I had an online relationship when I was about 17. I understand completely how this happens. I'm not really dissing that.

But I think he's up to something. Mine lasted, like.....6 months. I think that, had it gone longer, I would have been questioning it. I was YOUNG. I was stupid. Manti is in college! It was rumored that he was in this relationship for 3 years, right?

I don't really sympathize with him, at all, if he's gay. Look - so what if he came out? So what if people thought he was gay? The only reason he wouldn't come out would be so he can be "straight" and get all of that money and fame he wants. That is just sad.

Yes, he would be discriminated against. But I think times are changing. If anything, he has ruined all respect for himself.

3. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, never heard of this but i find it intresting with the fact that he lied about it for....cant remember years, but i can understand the fear side of it though

4. Eric

Yep, his draft position would probably disappear, and he'd likely have little to no chance at actually having the career he's worked toward for most of his life if he came out. Shame on him.

I'm very tuned into sports, and I have to admit this is the strangest sports story I've ever seen. I want to believe that he wasn't behind the hoax, but there's a lot that doesn't add up. I also don't think he's gay. There are a lot of athletes who remain single and don't really have any problems. If he were pressured into being in a relationship with someone by his friends/teammates, he could've had his pick of any ol' beard on the Notre Dame campus, so I don't buy the "Lennay Kekua was his fictional beard" angle. The level of fame he achieved and the way sports journalists created a mythology around him leads me to believe that he was behind it the whole time, and that having this personal tragedy would improve his draft position, thereby netting him more money. The alternative is that he's really, really, really stupid. I want to believe he's stupid, but that seems like the least likely option.

5. LiquidSwords

Yeah, this. People in all walks of life hide their sexuality for various reasons, including their career. Not that I'm condoning how he's acted but if his motive was to hide his sexuality then I can sympathise to a degree, professional sport must be a hard place to be gay.

6. Gallatin

I've been following sports for nearly all my life, and like Eric said, this is the strangest story I've ever seen. I personally don't think this was all a cover-up for his sexuality. Either he's one of the most gullible people ever (doubtful) or he's been complicit in this entire hoax, in which case, his draft stock will plummet, and deservedly so.

Also, if he ever was using this hoax to cover up that he was gay, then I wouldn't agree with what he's done, but I wouldn't blame him, either. If he came out, or was outed, it's entirely possible that his career would be over, or at the least, he would find his path severely impaired.

7. alTO

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    All good points. It just seems to me that his involvement in a hoax like this to enhance his draft stock is so unlikely to make a difference that no one with any sense would do it. (The risk far outweighs any gains.) Rather, it seems more like the panicked actions of someone hiding something. What was probably intended to be a little lie grew bigger and bigger until it had to be killed off.

Anyway, it's all hard to say. I'd like to think that with the positive momentum around gay rights nowadays a coming out wouldn't necessarily ruin a pro sports career. His could be the start of many. He may be far from the perfect role model, but it's a start.

8. kc1895

Thats exactly what I think. You don't create a crazy hoax to gain more attention for a draft pick. Especially with the media relentlessly following a story like that. He wanted to play professional football, and drawing unnecesary attention on your personal life is not what somebody waiting for a draft pick needs. The coaches and managers could care less if your mom and dad died of cancer, as long as your football skills are superior and they choose you based on your skills.

Rather, in a very panicked reaction to hide his sexuality, the story had to be made up for a man he's been in a relationship with for quite some time. After listening to the excerpts of voicemails his "fake girlfriend" left him, its quite obvious that they've been seeing each other IN PERSON for quite a while.

I think someone blew the whistle on him to expose his sexuality, so he freaked out. I'm sure the whole truth will come out sometime in the near future, perhaps even on this fourm! But it is very sad that he had to go to this extent to hide who he really is. :frowning2:

9. photoguy93

We are so backwards on this site sometimes. So, essentially, if it means making a ton of money and living a double life, then it's ok?

I guess I expected more!

I get that he's worked hard for this career. But if he turns out to be gay, I'm still not going to feel that bad for him. I say "him" because this applies...... To him.

I'm most mad about the big spectacle, if he is gay. It's just maddening!

10. Eric

In a perfect world, people wouldn't have to choose between being open about their sexuality and being able to live the life they've worked for, but it's not a perfect world and for many people there are obstacles. I don't blame people if they choose money over something else, and in Manti's case, it would be no different. And I would empathize if he were leading a double life regardless of how much money he's making because I understand that he probably won't be personally fulfilled. The fact that an athlete would have to stay in the closet to enjoy professional success is a societal problem, not a problem with the athlete themselves.

Edit: Though, I will say that there should be a bigger effort among LGBT athletes to push boundaries and force the world of sports to become inclusive to LGBT people, but I don't believe it's fair to expect that of anyone. It would just be nice if there were a gay Willie Mays, imo.

11. photoguy93

I guess I thought differently of our community.

12. Kay

Kay Guest

My first thought is he is gay and because he wants in Pro Football he hides it.