1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Informed to Inform Others

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Proud1p4, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

I can't even believe i'm asking this but i was just wondering some basic statistics for homo/bi/transsexualiy.

I'm doing a powerpoint to be given out at my school on the HRC but i figured things like "x/100 people indentify as GLBT" or "x GLBT are subject to hate crimes each year". ANY information really is helpful. Anything you can find. Even if you're not 100% sure if it's relevent to this thread, post it anyway and i'll be the judge lol.

Thnx in advance.
    Proud

2. nisomer

I dunno if you have this info, but I got it off HRC

-Same sex couples live in 99.3% of all counties nationwide. (2000 US Census)

-The federal government could save more that $1 billion a year by allowing same-sex couples to marry. (2004 Congressional Budget Office)

-There are more than 1 million homosexual veterans in the US. (Urban Institute)

-61% of Americans believe the country needs laws protecting transgender individuals from discrimination. (2002 HRC Foundation poll)

-Nearly half of all Fortune 500 Comapnies offer domestic partner health benefits. (2004 HRC State of the Workplace Report)

-You can still be fired from your job in most states, simply for being GLBT, and have no legal recourse -- because currently, no federal employment law includes GLBT Americans.

-84% of GLBT students report being verbally harassed -- name calling, threats etc. -- at school. (GLSEN 2003)

-There are at least 1 million children being raised by same-sex couples in the US -- and probably many more. (2000 US Census)

-Hate crimes against GLBT Americans are on the rise, even as other violent crimes continue to decline. (FBI Hate Crimes Statistics 2004) Current federal hate crime laws do not protect GLBT Americans.

-In a national poll in 2006, 80% of Catholics said they agree with this statement: "Marriage is about love and commitment. Regardless of how I personally feel about gay people getting married, I don't think it is my place to judge these people's love for and commitment to each other." (Accredited Reasearch by Peter D. Hart & Associates)

3. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Like i said any info is welcome but there's two things:

1- That statistic went totally over my head, i don't get it, even when i read it on the HRC website i was like " :confused: " could someone clarify it?

2- Although American statistics are great too i would like to see some statistics in Canada seeing as i'm giving it out to Canadian students, it won't have the same effect (if any) on them if i tell them how things are going in America.