1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colors Mixed Together?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by an0nchick, Jan 20, 2013.

1. an0nchick

What do all of the colors mixed together make?
    Is it Brown, White, or Black? I keep getting different answers.
    What's the difference between pigment and light?

PS. What's your favorite color?(!)

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pigment is physical stuff (matter) that reflects light. Light is electromagnetic waves (I'll get into this more if you ask but it gets hairy) that hit our retinas and are perceived by the brain.

When all visible light is mixed, it turns to white, because each color is actually just a portion of the whole light spectrum, just like each musical instrument is a part of an orchestra.

When all colors of pigment are mixed, however, it theoretically makes black. This is because each pigment reflects exactly one color and absorbs all others. If you mix all of them together, no particular color gets out, because it's all absorbed. :wink: If you do it poorly (wrong ratios, imperfect dispersion, which is way too likely if you're doing it by hand) you get a nasty poo-brown.

[​IMG]

And my favorite color at this time is deep blue. It's a strong color, looks great as a heraldic device/team color, and at the same time symbolizes peace and coolness. Represents me pretty well. :slight_smile:

#2 Argentwing, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  3. VDoof

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My favorite is alien green. At least that's what it's called on the paint chip at Home Depot.

Googled alien green. This is about the right color:
    [​IMG]

4. an0nchick

Okay...this is kinda making sense. This explains why red, yellow, and blue are primary colors, but on computers, it's red, green, and blue. ?

---------- Post added 20th Jan 2013 at 10:22 PM ----------

Very nice! Such a bright and yummy color!

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Red, yellow, and blue are primary pigment colors, whereas RGB are light colors. Why or how they are? That I don't know, seeing as it mushes yellow and blue together into, well, alien green. But it works. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It is interesting to see TVs and monitors coming out though that are RGBY, which apparently makes the yellows look better and enhances most other colors. I'm going to look more into it.

This helps out a bit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_model

#5 Argentwing, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  6. Ianthe

^^This, except that I would say there are lots of possibilities when mixing pigments (imperfectly). It depends a lot on what kind of pigments you have. In most kinds of paint, for example, you are not going to have pure "one color" pigments. Natural pigments are not going to reflect just one type of light. Rather, they reflect the types of light that you see when you look at them, and absorb all other kinds.

To get a true black, it's best to have a pigment that just absorbs all the different kinds of light in the first place. Even if you are able to get a perfect balance of pigments, so that no color is apparent, you are more likely to come out with some kind of grey than black, because all of your pigments are reflecting some light and absorbing other light. For black, you need all light to be absorbed. Attempting to mix black is not normally advised, really, although sometime you can come close. (Sometimes a very dark near-black is more interesting visually that a true black anyway, though.)

The resulting color when you mix all your paints together will depend on the paints you start with, but will usually be a kind of murky grey or brown.

7. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A deep blue with silver trim. :grin:

8. jp16

This what i like together
    [​IMG]

9. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What an interesting question! I've actually experimented with this before. When I mixed Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple together, I either get a weird shade of black or brown, depending on whether or not I use more dark colors in the mix.

My favorite color is purple. I'm more drawn to deeper, darker shades of purple.
    Like this...
    [​IMG]

10. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Light is white. That can be decomposed into different colors, through the absorption of some of the colors, and deflecting the others. A white thing is something that reflects the whole light.

But whether the color you get after mixing all colors is black or white, that depends on the deflectant matter. If the matter is of high density, it happens what you said. But if is of low density, it happens the other way around, each deflected color is seen, mixed, and there are no absorbed colors, thus is perceived as a white color.

As an example, take a round piece of paper, and fill equal portions with different colors, using crayons, and another one using color pencils. Stab it through the middle with a needle, and spin them. If done properly, you will see a white color appearing on the pencil one, and an obscure color on the crayon one.

11. brown.

my little brother mixed them all when i painted with him when he was younger, turned the palette brown lol