1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does it bug you when people say its just a phase?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caliber, Jan 21, 2013.

?

It's just a phase

1. it really bothers me

23 vote(s)
    52.3%
  2. it sort of bothers me

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  3. it doesnt bother me

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. huh...what...never heard it

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK when i told my mum she just looked at me and went

"oh...thats..." then "its just a phase" and walked away, other people have said this to me on other occasions and i'm like WTF if it was a phase...no its defiantly not, over five years nah. I'm quite a tolerant person but COME ON that's just (insert word here) it might be because i had one boyfriend (ahem..Fake...imaginary....faked the whole thing) haha i had to fake it so they would leave me alone. they kept asking why i didnt have a boyfriend and was questioning my sexuality (at that point and still now i didnt like to talk about it)

so whats your views

2. MerBear

it does annoy me but for a some months , i kept thinking it was phase

3. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Eh. l'm 28 years old and l didn't come out as a teen so l can't say if would have bothered me then. And if anyone wants to tell me it's a phase now l would just LOL at them because l know enough about myself to tell them to f*ck off xD

Honestly, as a teen and younger adult l was considering the idea that it could be a phase which is why l eventually decided to try men. l'm not sure what to tell you, l think there's just as much of a likelihood that l could have actually turned out as bisexual versus gay even though l guess l "knew" l wasn't bi on some level.

But l believed other things about myself at 16 that turned out to be untrue, "you can't know what you don't know" IFYWIM.

Before trying sex with men l don't think l would have believed that l might like it, and l did. That didn't make me more attracted to them at the end of the day though and that's obviously what matters.

IDK OP. lf l could go back l can't say l wouldn't still consider that it could have been a phase for me, but l would have focused more on women since that's what l felt l was most obviously attracted to and you probably should too.

4. it used to bother me but now im comfortable with who i am it doesnt.
    i have better things to worry about. but can understand why it would annoy a lot of people.

5. Lewis

Never heard it. I've never known anyone so small minded before.

6. leer

I came out to my mate at school the one friend I thought would be happy and just MIGHT understand & I got nar mate it`s just a phase your going through . were still friends sort off still Laugh about me telling him

7. Hexagon

They can't help it. They just have trouble accepting it. So annoying, but I can understand it.

8. Epipleptic

It sort of bothers me. I'm dealing with it right now. My problem with it it allows the outside parties not to deal with the real issue. They can stay where they are if it's 'just a phase' instead of moving forward toward acceptance and understanding. From their perspective, though, it allows them to remain safe and secure believing that what they once thought was true will be true again.

9. Capichino

10. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, very much. That hasn't actually been said to me personally, as no one knows I'm gay, but my parents say it about gays all the time. "It's a phase", or "they want attention", even "they just want to think themselves gay". Really, I think it is their way of believing that it is wrong and a choice, I know they don't know much about gays. I understand and I hope they come to understand :thumbsup:

Good luck!

11. AaronG

AaronG Guest

When I came out to my mom she said it was just a phase but what she fails to realize is I've known I've liked boys since I was little and just because I recently decided to come out doesn't mean I recently started having these feelings. People are so stupid...

12. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, it's offensive in an ignorant way.

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sort of bothers me. On one they're probably just thinking out loud, but on the other, I want to say "You think you know me better than I know yourself?" It is sort of offensive that somebody would plop down a diagnosis without knowing a single private thought of mine.

14. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

Not really.

15. frozenandbroken

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It doesn't bother me, no. In some cases it is "just a phase" kids and teenagers are trying to figure themselves out, whether they're bisexual, gay, lesbian, genderqueer, pansexual, what have you. But I'm looking at it in terms of the questioning period and not as, "You're not gay, you're just confused." You might identify as bisexual now, but maybe you're deciding pansexual is a better fit. Y'know?

That being said, I don't think parents, or anyone for that matter should explicitly tell them that "It's just a phase." Just give them support and let them figure it all out for themselves and what they choose to identify as. Eventually they'll realize anyways, it's not a phase.

16. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

^Agreed!!

17. shovelman

It sort of bothers me but then again my dad has been the only one to say something ralted to the manner of me possibly not being gay, which I can understand since he's struggling with it a bit and that's why it sort of bothers me :/

Although I can get pretty pissed off when he takes it too far >:l .

18. aMiMe

Every time i tell someone. They TELL me i am joking and laugh right in my face. and i just look down sad and they assume i am strait. when i get far enough that they believe me they either get angry and tell me its a phase. or sentimental like i have gone tempararily insane.