1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the reward for climbing Mount Everest?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pills, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Pills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So many people want to try it. What is the reward? There isn't money involved. I wouldn't want to climb Mount Everest. Would you?

2. NickTsuki

NickTsuki Guest

I wouldn't climb Mount Everest even if money was involved haha. But I think it must give you a somewhat gratification/accomplishment feeling, like in sports when you win. Even though I wouldn't do it.

3. FJ Cruiser

It's one of the few places that man hasn't completely conquered and you're still completely at the mercy of Mother Nature. You're truly risking your life attempting to climb it. Only people with an insane amount of money, time, and physical prowess can say they've been to the highest point on Earth. It's about adventure and bragging rights.

4. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    a cold, boring mountaintop, and the price for failure is generally death.

5. koilfong

koilfong Guest

i mean you get bragging rights, and i would love to try but i know i cant make it...

6. Emberstone

you lose half your toes, then die in a avalance on the way down and get discovered as a corpseicle in 2000 years time when future humans discover your final resting place, and thaw you out and eat you, because by that time, humans have far surpassed their carrying compacity as a species, and having depleted the natural resources, have devolved to cannibalisem.

7. Ticklish Fish

I don't want to climb mount everest :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I mean, some people climb SOCIAL LADDERS. aint that enough?

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why did Sir Edmund Hillary climb the mountain? "Because it was there." FJ Cruiser had it right; people climb it for the adventure, the bragging rights, and the life-long memory of having been to the top of the world.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that man has not tamed it, though. Yes it's still VERY deadly, but hundreds if not thousands of people make the attempt every year. Base camp is pretty much always full of people basically waiting in line. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. starfish

I usually climb things to see what is at the top.

10. SlickyPants

You might say money is involved. Not so much as a financial reward but Sir Edmund Hillary appears on the New Zealand $5 bill

[​IMG]

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I could scarcely imagine a way I could be any more negative about Mount Everest. It's a mountain. It's the tallest in the world. People have died trying to climb it, and that's a very, very sad waste.

12. Bassplayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Although Mt. Everest has in the last few years become a discussion minefield among climbers due to the thousands of people with no ability to climb basically paying their way up the mountain, the trash littering entire place, the heating up of the region and the inherent increase in danger as a result, and the domestication of the mountain(4G at the top of the world anyone?), I think the mountain still holds some sense of wonderment for all who want to climb it because of what it is. A peak which at some 28,000 feet, stands taller than any other. It's the highest you'll ever get with your feet on the ground. This all being said, I would love to climb Mt. Everest one day.

13. Hatsupi Kona

Hatsupi Kona Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I like the view from down here better than the view from up there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. thegaymer

No money involved as a reward unless you bet someone

15. Harve

!!!

You could call it MANY things but not boring.

Anyway, the highest altitude I've climbed to is 4100m and I'd like to exceed that one day. I'm not suggesting Everest, but Everest isn't the only mountain that reaches exhilarating altitudes.

16. Deaf Not Blind

They always say its to get to the top. But many die. Rich seem to like it, like a bungee jump or patachute jump.

I like myself a bit safer wiser things: observing all Gods glorious creation on a hike in trails that are not tretcherous and enjoy the slower journey seeing hidden columbine among the ferns. Getting to the top never was my priority. Feeding squirells as I eat trail mix is.

17. Fiddledeedee

Being at the highest point above sea level on Earth. Going where almost nobody can go. The thrill of climbing. Oh, and money might come into it if you're betting on something or raising funds for charity.

The next challange is scaling K2.

18. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I imagine it would be a beautiful and humbling sight, not to mention the pure serenity of being unimaginably far from other humans, animals, or anything at all really. Just you and the mountain.

The journey is part of it too, just like anything in life. Reaching the top of the mountain would be the conclusion of the "story" of your journey up the mountain, and as such would have special meaning to you. If you just choppered up there, I'm sure it wouldn't mean much to you.

19. Motov

I guess people who do it,... love to get high, Personally i prefer an airplane to get that high, much more comfy and you get a better view

20. burg

err i love climbing mountains (from new Zealand tho).i wouldn't want to do Everest just cos of the egos that you might meet there.but give me a full moon a trip and a beautiful peak and i climb it.