1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video by straight guy. Good points

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wired106, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Wired106

Ok I found this video about national coming out day and this guy whose talking is straight and brought up many good points. I've actually never thought about this sort of stuff. Some of the stuff in this video might be a little offensive lol. but anyways, watch this video!
    [YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=3L9ZV_oignU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

2. CrimsonThunder

Brought up many good points? yeah right more like hes making a mockery out of it.

3. SkyTears

okay he made some good points but i think there was definitely things he was looking at wrong. and the face cover is soooo distracting me! lol

4. Wired106

lol I knew this was going to cause some people to be pissed off. I think he's just trying to answer a question on youtube because he's replying to someone elses video of why gay people might be treated by. I don't think all his points are accurate. I think that people would still be assholes and treat gay people bad even if we did stop all of that stuff he said, but I was wondering if that sort of stuff influences why people act the way the do to us.

5. justjoshoh

Some good points?!? Please share them, as I found nothing redeeming in the video. He knows little about his own heritage, much less the struggle of homosexuals.

For nearly a decade during the Civil Rights Movement, there were people on the streets shouting "Black Power". Should they have not shown their "pride"? I won't even equate his "pro-heterosexual" with a race equivalent.

Furthermore, if it weren't for the efforts of Bayard Rustin, the march on Washington would not have taken place in 1963. Those non-violent peaceful acts that he touted in the video were because of the influence of Rustin on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. That may sound insignificant until you learn that Rustin was a gay Black male. A gay Black male that turned his attention to the gay rights movement saying: "The barometer of where one is on human rights questions is no longer the black community, it's the gay community. Because it is the community which is most easily mistreated."

Those gay pride parades are a direct link to the social movements of the 1960s and 1970s that he was referring to in the video. The gay movement used similar actions that were occurring in the Civil Rights Movement. It is the Stonewall Riots of 1969 that we commemorate during pride events.

Acceptance came to the Black community, yet there are countless examples of Black culture evident in the media. Using his theory, either they haven't become mainstream themselves and are flaunting their race.

I don't get it, he throws out his homophobic, dogmatic "opinions" and we are sitting around agreeing with his points. Rather than being "pro-heterosexual", he should be working for equality for everyone. Lest we not forget the words of Dr. King, "an injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

6. Nitro

Hmm... If I understand this fellow rightly, his argument is that for the lgbt community to receive and command respect we should behave in a "respectable" manner; and if we want to be treated equally then we should behave equally.

Sadly this viewpoint is missing a bigger picture - unless there are some forms of public acknowlegdement of the existence of lgbt then the community will be further marginalized due to lack of recognition. The hope is that other people may go "Oh, my word, what have all these people gathered to protest for/celebrate? Being gay? What is that? Oh... wait, I'm gay?! I'm not alone so maybe I shouldn't feel so isolated and feel slightly more comfortable exploring that part of myself!" And maybe, just maybe, with enough people going through that process or knowing someone who has (six degrees of separation), being gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgendered/sexaul may not seem so foreign, strange, or inherently earthquake provoking*.

Now what is unreasonable about that?

*see thread "Apparently we are the cause of earthquakes... =/" for more details.

7. otc877

otc877 Guest

I agree to an extent about the pride issue. Personally, I don't think it's something to be proud of. On the topic of pride parades, I think they are more detrimental to the gay community than they are helpful. The parades further stereotypes that all gay people are queens and promiscuous.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1buGdsoQEc[/YOUTUBE]
    "it's fun it's happy. Everyone's a ho"
    "It's everyone's chance to be slutty"

8. justjoshoh

There are thousands of people that go to the Pride events throughout the world every year that aren't queens or promiscuous. If it weren't for those drag queens and their patrons back in 1969 at Stonewall, we wouldn't even have anything to be proud about anyway, because the movement would have stalled and became irrelevant. Don't disrespect the drag queens, we owe a lot to them for creating a path toward equality.

9. Temujin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    <3

10. Alexander

He acts like he's so smart but pssshh..

11. Ty

Ty Guest

Um... what good points?

12. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He misses the point!

And he says he's not homophobic, he's just pro-heterosexual, meaning that he thinks everybody should be straight. That's like saying I'm not racist, I'm just pro-white. I think everybody shoud be white. And he has no idea what the whole coming-out and acceptance thing means, because it is not the same as discrimination based on racial/ethnic grounds...it's different.

13. SlickyPants

As justjoshoh stated a few times, the Pride celebrations/parades are to commemorate the Stonewall Riots. We owe a lot our current freedoms to those people.

About National Coming Out Day: I think this guy is looking at it the wrong way. He seems to think it is some big day of celebration. National Coming Out day is not some national holiday. It is merely a day to encourage people to be open about who they are and in doing so, hopefully creating a wider range of acceptance throughout the world as well as being a happier person.

14. Rette

His one good point is about the whole notion of gay pride, but I think he misses the point. For myself, gay pride's not so much about being gay, it's about being out. It's a strange thought that it can actually take courage to be yourself, but it's often the case for homosexuals. And that's something worth being proud of.

15. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Justjoshoh made some great points. And I agree that that video seems to have nothing whatsoever "good" about it. He says he has no qualms with gay people, but then says it's "disgusting" and that everyone should be straight?

16. Connor

Connor Guest

I think he needs to stop talking about things he doesn't understand. :slight_smile: I feel he is stupid - he makes no good points in my eyes because he doesn't know what he's talking about. Also I find the phrase "you people" incredibly offensive. Also, as he goes on about black people not acting any different because of their skin colour? That's untrue, what's the difference between how 50 Cent acts and the average black person?

17. ampthejazz

Talk about lack of empathy.

There certainly are problems with the lgbt community, but he doesn't seem to touch upon any of them.

18. Beebo

LMAO William sledd is too funny

19. austinarden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think he's just saying that he thinks we shouldn't FLAUNT it and shove it in everybody's face. But I disapprove of the derogatory comments.

20. smilealways

smilealways Guest

he knows hes not saying the right stuff. otherwise he wouldnt have had a mask on.