1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

random question to american people

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GayJay, Jan 22, 2013.

1. GayJay

Yeah so this is kinda randon but i always hear people in movies talking about thanksgiving.
    Seen as theres a lot of americans on here just thought id ask, what the hell is it? And what is it supposed to represemt?

2. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    THIS about sums it up

3. PurpleCrab

When I started living with my wife, she brought Thanksgiving here (in our home in Canada) with her :icon_mrgr

It's really great; it's about getting together and giving thanks to the divine for good harvest and family (thus the feast), and giving thanks for whatever else you're grateful for and being heard about it.

To us it's exactly that; being thankful and having a family feast! So that's really, really enjoyable :slight_smile:

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is probably the most crucial holiday to keep us on the ground in an otherwise completely balls-out materialistic rat race. And the food is amazing. :grin:

5. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

It's a day where American families get together and hold a contest to see who can eat the most food in a 24 hour period.

6. ameliawesome

the story that is taught in elementary schools about the first thanksgiving is bullshit. nevertheless, it's just about food and family and it's supposed to be about being thankful for what we have in this bountiful country.

7. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ...followed shortly after by a mad dash to the supermarket so that we can buy a bunch of stuff that we want while avoiding flying crock-pots (This actually happened to me), also known as Black Friday.

8. Gerit

Essentially family members get together, stuff their faces, debate politics and social issues, watch football (Or soccer to the rest of the world), and then complain about putting on weight during the holidays.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I object :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I have never gone out shopping on Black Friday to buy useless crap because it's on sale.

10. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    It's an excuse to get together with your family and eat a lot of food!

11. Caleb93

LOL Black Friday...

12. Emberblaze

Hm, well, we eat food.... and apparently give thanks for... uh, something?

Last thanks giving, I said I was thankful for menopause. Heh, does that sum something up for ya?

13. Emberstone

it is about getting your staunchly conservative uncle frank really really drunk, then watching him argue with the turkey carcuss over capital gains tax policy.

14. TKM

TKM

It's the day we that we celebrate Inilating the Indians :grin:basically. oh yes and giving thanks and all that other stuff too:icon_wink

15. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I always wondered what Thanksgiving was too, hahaha.
    Sounds like just an excuse to eat a shit ton of food.

I'm still lost on what Black Friday is. I think it's our Boxing day here.

16. TKM

TKM

It's when a bunch of stores have a bunch of sales for Christmas and open early,close late, that sort of thing to start the holidays :slight_smile:

17. Delta

Thanksgiving is basically a day you spend with your family or close friends, where you try especially hard to be thankful for each other and all the good things that you have, and then you eat a lot of tasty food and try to be thankful that you are able to have lots of tasty food.

The "basis" of it starts with the first Europeans, called pilgrims, who came to America with the hopes of starting a life and raising a family here. Long story short, they had never really had this level of a winter, and they had no idea how to raise crops or hunt or do anything worthwhile to survival here, so they nearly died, but the natives, called Indians because of some bad assumptions by Christopher Columbus, took pity on the poor bastards and taught them how to cover their asses. They celebrated this with a big feast together in the fall with all the crops and game they had been taught to grow and hunt. (This never really happened, and instead they decided to kill the natives and take their land, because they were greedy twats.) The end.

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving. It's basically a day where everything in America goes on deep discount sale, and we throw all the nice "be thankful for what you have" messages out the window and get in physical fights to get material goods. :slight_smile: American logic.

18. Shiny Espeon

Basically, yes. It is an excuse to eat a bunch of food.

And Black Friday is just the Day after Thanksgiving. Retailers slash prices to mark the beginning of the 'holiday shopping season,' from when the clock hits midnight going from Thanksgiving into the Friday, until the sun comes up, basically. If you were to try to go out, though, you'd either be trampled by women in their mid 20's, or be involved in a riot when whatever item you wanted is sold out within 5 minutes of the sale starting.

19. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Okay, okay, sounds good. Boxing Day here is the same where we exchange gifts like taking them back to stores or buying things that are marked off price, like sometimes up to half or more, but it happens on the day after Christmas. People get up at 3/4am just to line up outside of stores and trample each other, so it's basically just like Black Friday.

20. Hatsupi Kona

Hatsupi Kona Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My family gets together expecting to have a wonderful time and a great meal. Everyone happy.

This is never the case for me.

The turkey was really dry this year, or at least that's what my family is saying. I never have the turkey. We all ate too fast so everyone got bored pretty quickly. Eventually my sister's friend came over for some odd reason and went to my sister's room. This angered my aunt, who thinks that Thanksgiving needs to be spent solely with family. She scolded my sister for allowing a friend over on Thanksgiving to the point where she began to cry.

Let's say one thing led to another and 2 of my aunts got kicked out of the house. My mom didn't go black friday shopping this year because she didn't want to run into the aunts she kicked out. So far things haven't cooled yet. We didn't even get to have them over for Christmas. Things are still rough between my mom and the aunts, but I think they might be letting up soon.

Other than that, I had a great meal and spent some time with my cousins I never see.