1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 'passing' thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Hexagon

I thought it would be nice to have a thread with a collection of passing tips for transpeople. I know I could have used one a few years ago. The thread is open to contributions, and anyone is welcome to contribute. I haven't seen anything else on the forums, but if this is a duplicate, then I apologise.

Also, as I've never had to try and pass as a women, I know less about it. I don't want the thread to be exclusive to transguys, so I welcome your contributions.

Passing tips for masculine identified people:

-The idea of 'projecting masculinity'. People generally see what they expect to see, and when they see someone behaving how they expect a man to behave, they see a man. (Not perfect, obviously, but an effective addition to any method of passing)
    -Build your pectoral and shoulder muscles
    -Learn and perfect male mannerisms such as how to sit, and how to walk.
    -Speak fairly quietly, and in particular avoid reacting too fast when you feel emotional. Your voice won't have the resonation that an adult cis-man's voice has without hormone therapy, but its still possible to speak lower.
    -Use less variation in tone than you might be used to.
    -Wear clothing that doesn't emphasise any curves you may have
    -Bind (not to state the painfully obvious or anything)
    -Learn to laugh at a lower register.
    -Don't look at or speak to anyone in public restrooms. Social conventions dictate that no one will look at or speak to you.
    -When you are in situation in which there are other people other than close friends around, such as a shopping center, don't display much emotion. There is social pressure for men to act as if the only feelings they possess are lust and anger, and while I disagree with that pressure, you may find passing more difficult if you don't submit to it.
    -Shave, even if you don't have facial hair. You do have 'peach fuzz' which is normally only found on women and children. Its not particularly noticeable, but once in a while someone may notice.

2. NickTsuki

NickTsuki Guest

That's really interesting. I'm not trans but it really interests me, more like a curiosity.
    I'm actually writting a novel about a transgender boy so I'm always searching to try to make it as real as possible, so tips for MTF would be interesting and helpful for me.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, totally agree on the restroom thing. Other than an odd word coming, going, or washing hands, it's radio silence.

And about the "social pressure to express only lust and anger" I don't totally agree. We feel and express emotions as widely as women, but on a less intense level. I'd like to think I am driven by rational thought, so the more emotion I feel, the more thinking I do, so it only looks like I'm a blank-slate from the outside. The predominant emotion for me, however, is a slightly distant relaxation. You're in control. :slight_smile:

4. Hexagon

^Interesting. I'm not denying that anyone feels a full range of emotions, however in my personal experience, they are less frequently expressed by men, and there is pressure to conform.