1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's always the small stuff that gets to you, right?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by remainnameless, Jan 22, 2013.

1. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Peacefully watching Anderson Cooper, when my step-dad walks in and says "Shut that off, the mans a fag".

I mean, come on, really? :dry:

(for those who don't know, Anderson is a a news anchor who came out years ago)

2. Jeff

I'm not sure how old you are, but that thing happening to me would make me want to look for rooms that are for rent.

But, yeah, it shows a low level of class to say that. Dumb and low class. In 2013 you just don't use certain words, the N word, the F word are just not acceptable. It shows low education, low class. And who would want the world to know they are at the bottom of the class/education ladder?

3. counterspade

Yeah, as much as those types of situations bother me, I just have to let them go. I overhear those types of conversations in the break room at work all the time (I usually sit in the corner farthest from others, and people gravitate toward me, damn it). I suppose they feel like I would either agree with them or not care enough to say anything. It's a mix of not caring and trying to not jump across the table that prompt me to either clock in early or walk outside.

Ignorance surrounds us. The key is to not feed into it, and know that who you are is the best person you are today, and the beginning of the person you will be tomorrow. :slight_smile:

4. TheUglyBarnacle

I kinda disagree with that statement. Maybe I wouldn't jump at an environment full of extreme homophobes that Ii'd have no chance to change their minds but I would in a more normal case. Inaction is almost the same as supporting the other person. Some people CAN become more tolerant if you talk to them in a civil manner with well-constructed arguments.

5. counterspade

Well, to each his own I suppose. I'm not one for bringing light to a subject. Granted if they're blathering on like a moron being extremely narrow-minded, one would want to intervene and correct their statements. I guess for me, it's just the age group I'm surrounded by and my choice to not get involved in their opinions. I don't make mine known to people, and I guarantee if I were to tell them how I felt they'd turn themselves around.

I just stay out of them.

6. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You're both right, it just depends on the situations :thumbsup:

7. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    :/ my (half) sister who l didn't grow up with said something like this once. Just out of nowhere, to work it into the most random conversation is so :confused:

l've not known many people like that, fortunately. The higher functioning set of the ignorant at least don't use that language so casually.

He sounds awful. Hope you can get out soon.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, who would diss Anderson Cooper? He's one of the few political talk show hosts worth listening to.

9. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My thoughts exactly. :dry:

10. Ianthe

Anderson Cooper is awesome. He just came out in July, though.

I'm sorry your stepfather is expressing his homophobia that way. Are you close to him otherwise?

11. horsecats

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sorry that you had to deal with that. Ignorance is very harsh.
    You are who you are, so be you!
    Using that language isn't appropriate for him to use in this day and age and only shows ignorance on his behalf

12. Yogabear

Yogabear Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    One of the best pieces of advice that I ever got out of my intro to philosophy logic class is "Appeal to Authority" argument. If you don't know it just see the level of intelligence, careers, diversity or lack of diversity or experiences, age, geographical, political or religious influences and overall the character of the individual speaking such hateful words about homosexuals. This helps me in arguments with other hetrosexuals like the moral equivalenccy of gay marriage is to deny hetrosexuals who cannot repocreate naturally or nonsexual relationships or taxation without representation helps me to mold my arguments in my mind. Anyways, I look in terms of ddeductive logic not inductive fairy-tale ignorance that runs around in our midst, so that is my take on helping you out man!

A side note though is that your father or whoever just don't know lgtqb people in their lives whether at work or home life. Reality is that most reasonable and intelligent people agree with gay marriage and gay rights in general just the ignorance needs to evaporate. For example, I have arguments but many don't realize that I'm blind and also gay aand assume that I'm like them but their opinions change with this info. Keeping that in mind that my estranged Texas family have aaccepted me being in the direction of turning gay and are fin with it and I haven't talked to them in like eighteen years. You just never know on these sorts of things on how people react whether dogmatically or open mindeedly an I'm facing a similar situation right now myself with someone deeply personal to me.

Good luck,
    Peter

13. Invisigoth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a father like that as well, i grew up listening to him talk about who was a 'fag' or a 'poofter' and any amount of the horrible names used. ignorance i'm afraid