1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

losing a pet

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caliber, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friends horse called Bertie died today, he had colic and the vet couldn't do anything for him, its such a shame he was an amazing horse, bye bye Bertie loss always is the worst...at least your in a better place...

how many of you have lost a pet over the last few years

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We lost a dog named "Fly" (named from the movie Babe) and she was a Pomeranian/Border Collie mix. She was smart as a whip and the most loyal dog you would've met.

It sounds silly to those who haven't lost pets, but it really is a painful experience. We had to put Fly down because she had Pyometra, which sometimes occurs when a female dog is not fixed and has not had puppies after a certain age (I won't get too detailled). She was really sick but we couldn't afford her surgery and it wasn't a 100% sure thing anyways. She had been coughing blood and it just broke my heart in two.

I'm sorry for your friend. Sometimes losing a pet can be like losing a best friend.
    :frowning2:

3. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I almost lost my cat after she ate something toxic to her system, but fortunately the vet was able to get it out of her. I was devastated for the whole two days while she was at the vet's office, I didn't even eat and I couldn't sleep well at all.

I probably would've mourned for days if she died. Losing an animal or being close to losing an animal is like losing a best friend.

I'm sorry for your friend's loss.

4. Nepenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sorry to hear about your friend's horse :icon_sad: Losing a pet is always hard. They're part of the family.

Last September we lost my sister's dog to lung cancer. We know something was wrong with him, but didn't think it was anything that serious. He was old, but it was still very difficult. I still get a little teary if I see another beagle :icon_sad:

5. Kidd

Kidd Guest

We had to put our dog of the last almost 11 years, a blonde lab named Peaches, down on this last Christmas Eve morning. I cried for the whole day and most of the next day. This last Christmas was easily the worst one of my life. Even now, almost a month later, I'm still not used to her being gone. I'll come home sometimes in a rush and see that the kitchen is empty, that's where she'd always lay and wait for me and my family to come home, and I'll shout, "Peaches! I'm home!" Expecting her to come running. And then I'll remember, and it's devastating all over again.

It was just her time though. She was just getting very elderly very quickly, she had sugar issues and her organs were failing. She couldn't walk anymore. She couldn't really eat or drink much. She was going downhill fast. It was the right decision, but the worst possible timing. Not that there's ever good timing for something like that to happen.

6. mothcaterpillar

My dog (my little brother) died in July I was so close to suicide I wrote a note and everything then chickened out

7. Thor85

Thor85 Guest

My mom just lost both of her dogs in December, one of old age and the other of heart disease. It was so sad. My sister just lost her oldest dog too, Teeia had kidney failure. Loss is so hard. It makes me not want to get a pet.

8. aidan

I lost my dog last Easter and it was the most depressed I've ever been.

9. Shiny Espeon

A year and a half ago, I lost a dog that I had for eight years after she had surgery to remove a 5 pound cancerous tumor, a cat that I had for about the same amount of time when she got hit by a car, and a kitten we took in after she just gave up on life, in about a three week period. That was probably the worst time of my life.

10. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had to have my horse put to sleep, it was awful.

11. Thor85

Thor85 Guest

I am so sorry for everyone's loses.

12. Zach

Oh yes. Growing up my family lost a couple of cats, and three dogs over the years.

My personal biggest pet loss occurred after I was living on my own. It was my Siamese cat that passed away several years ago. (He was 16 when he passed) That cat was pretty cool. He was also very wise.

I was actually in denial about my sexuality at the time and I was dating a girl. Wouldn't you know .... the first time my girl friend "slept over" ... my kitty ....crapped in her shoes. Damn I miss that cat.:icon_sad:

13. counterspade

I've had my fair share of pet loss over the years. Most significantly a family dog we had had for eleven years.

14. ems

ems

I'm sorry for ir friends loss. I have lost some many animals over the last few years and it never.gets eaiser . My dog Ben got put to sleep against my wishes and that broke my heart. It nearly destroyed me as I went suicidal and depressed and self harm in to the mix and I was one messed up person .Then my ferrets superblack, buttercup and smudge got put down too . So I haven't had much good luck and now another one of my ferrets is not looking to good. Remember the good times u had. Don't dwell on bad memories cause that never turns out well .

#14 ems, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  15. MerBear

lost a cat named Malibu , she had a growth on her face - (last year)
    lost a cat named Donovan , he died when doctors put a tube down his throat (4 years ago)
    lost a dog Shelby , we put her down because of her hip (8 years ago)

now we have the oldest family cat Harrison , he's 13
    i have my dog and best friend Delilah , she's 7 , im going to cry like a bitch when she dies , i already cry thinking about it , thats my best friend. she has stuck with my through everything. she's slept with me ever since i got her , she's defended me against my dad and sister. she's comforted me through everything.
    i've done it back for her , we used to not get along that well in the begining but i think after that time....she put her paw on a piece of glass and saw she was limping then carried her into the house and took care of her afterwards , she's been right by my side ever since.

im sorry about your friends horse by the way

16. Kay

Kay Guest

Sorry about the lose of the horse. It's sad. It has always been tough on me when a pet passes away. They live with you and share your life in ways most people outside of the immediate household do. I do not relish the experience but have a cat and dog now.

17. Bree

I've lost a lot of pets over the years...hamsters, a mouse, a couple budgies, guinea pigs, lots of rabbits, two dogs. The worst ones are where it's your fault--you didn't deal with their medical problems fast enough, or didn't watch them for heat stroke, or put them somewhere dangerous and they fell... The deaths of pets who have lived out their lives, like our dog who died just before Christmas, aren't so bad.

18. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was 19 I lost my 16-year-old long-haired dachshund, Louie. We took him to the vet because he was having trouble eating and his mouth was dripping with brownish liquid, which I think was blood. The doctor told us he thought it was an abscessed tooth. So we let the doctor give Louie a dental cleaning and pull the abscessed tooth. But while cleaning Louie's teeth, the doctor found something else. He was diagnosed with malignant melanoma under his tongue. The doctor told us it was fast growing and incurable. It broke my heart. One minute I thought I was taking my dog to the vet for a checkup, the next minute I found out my dog was dying. The doctor gave us a choice to either have him put to sleep that day, or to have them perform surgery to allow Louie a little more time. Of course, I chose surgery. I was not ready to lose my dog. Plus, the doctor said he wouldn't be in any pain until the tumor grew back.

So they performed the surgery and we came back to get him the next day. Louie was so happy to see us and his teeth looked amazing! His breath didn't smell bad at all. The doctor gave Louie an estimated amount of time to live, being 3 months. But my awesome dog lasted for 6 months! He got to where he wouldn't eat again so we had him put down. It was so hard losing him, but I'm happy to know that he lived a long, happy life.

A few months ago I lost my fire belly newt, Yoshi. She was never really active like a newt should be. I actually never saw her eat even once for the 5 months that I had her. I did a ton of research on how to take care of newts. I did everything and tried different kinds of food, but she still wouldn't eat. I came home from work and found her little body in the water. I picked her up and knew right away she was dead. I cried like a baby. :tears:

19. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Ugh, losing pets is so hard, it's the worst feeling :frowning2:

I've lost a cat, he was 5 years old, but he was the first pet i ever had, we got him when I was 2 and knew him until I was 7. Even today seeing photos of him or thinking about him makes me really sad.

I lost 2 degu's, 3 hamsters, gave away on cat, gave away a dog, gave away 3 turtles. It's always the worst. I always hate it when hamsters or degu's die and they gasp for air for hours before they die, and you just sit there holding them in your hands, crying your eyes out because you know they're going to die :tears:

20. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We lost our cat about a month ago. We had him since I was 2, he was a part of the family.

Then my parents wouldn't get us another cat. But a couple of days ago, a cute little kitty came and forced itself into our lives! I still haven't named her though :/

---------- Post added 23rd Jan 2013 at 09:22 PM ----------

His name was lucky, btw..