1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious: Laptops in bed - beware!!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bingostring, Jan 23, 2013.

1. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I got a facebook post today along the lines of...

Unfortunately, the 25 years old died. It took several days of investigation to find out the cause of the fire. It was determined that the fire was caused by the laptop resting on the bed. When the laptop was on the bed cooling fan did not get the air to cool the computer and that is what caused the fire. He did not even wake up to get out of the bed because he died of breathing in carbon monoxide.

The reason I am writing this to all of you is that I have seen many of us using the laptop while in bed. Let us all decide and make it a practice not to do that. The risk is real. Let us make it a rule not to use the laptop on bed with blankets and pillows around. Please educate as many people as you can.

2. SOULkitchen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's true, I agree with you. My last laptop completely died on me because it overheated from resting on pillows, sheets, etc. When I got my new laptop, I bought a cooling pad which has fans underneath powered by USB plug in. Not too expensive and really worth the laptops/lives saved.

3. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    D:

---------- Post added 23rd Jan 2013 at 04:20 PM ----------

Are these laptops not even on standby or anything? Mine is way cooler while on standby with the lid closed, l know some people neglect to eve use these settings though.

4. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't get that either....most laptops will shut down if they overheat. I've never had one overheat on me BUT I broke a USB jack on my old laptop cuz I fell asleep with it on my lap. Since then I don't do that anymore.

But a laptop overheating to the point it caused a fire???

5. MerBear

my automatically shuts down after i close it so i think im good

6. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  7. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very true. My laptop battery and AC adapter both quit working because they overheated due to leaving my laptop on my bed. I bought a new AC adapter, but I still don't have a battery. Whenever I want to use my laptop in my lap or while laying down, I use my lap desk. I also found out that using my legs is unwise because my laptop still overheated and has actually burned my legs (but not enough to leave a wound).

8. Gen

Gen

How old was this laptop? I ask because the vast majority of technology today is supposed to be designed to shut itself off, or die, once it overheats or reaches a certain level. The vent on my laptop was block once and it shut itself off by itself and prevented operation until it was at a reasonable temperture.

Even game systems are designed that way. If I were his family, I would pursue legal action.

9. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    the text that bingostring posted is from an email that circulated a few years (according to the snopes article I posted above)

Technology and software has come a ways in that short of time. Even though a fire most likely won't occur...I wouldn't recommend doing this cause it could at the very least damage your laptop

10. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, my Dell laptop is a 2007. So it definitely could be based on what year it is. If I remember correctly, I think my laptop has actually shut itself off from overheating a few times. But it's still time for me to get a new one. >_>

11. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    xD l was using a Dell from 2007 last year. Honestly the older ones hold up really well but l'm tempted to buy you a new laptop myself lol.

12. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha! Well, my laptop has endured so much, it's amazing. I've dropped it like 10 times, most of those times by the children I used to babysit, and the other times by my rambunctious Labrador. It's seen the Blue Screen of Death at least 5 times. I've had to reformat it several times due to crappy anti-virus software. But it still runs really well. I just wish it didn't have a cracked screen. >_>

13. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My laptop stays on one of those little laptop desks with a fan in it. Before I had that I'd occasionally get shutdowns from overheat, though.

14. Capichino

I don't have a laptop with me but does it count if I'm on here on my iPod touch

15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My laptop cooling pad actually messed up the fan on my computer, so I'd be careful if you are using one of those. Laptops today are designed to shut off when they overheat.

16. FunnyMonkey

I do this all the time and my laptop shut off before it gets too hot. But I'll be careful anyways! Thanks.

17. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only laptop fires I've heard of were defective batteries (usually knock-off replacements) catching fire, usually while charging.

18. Emberblaze

My laptop almost overheated once cuz I fell asleep with it in my bed and a blanket was covering the fan, and when I woke up, the laptop and blanket was hoooot.

But no worries, I leave my laptop on my end table at the head of my bed and I have it on a timer to shut down after an hour or two. Gotta have my music playin at night ya know ^^

19. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    put your laptop on a cutting board. Problem solved.

20. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I remember when my mom asked me about this after she saw it posted on Facebook. It's amazing how people will believe everything they see on Facebook just because it has several thousand likes. The fact is that any laptop will click off before it gets hot enough to self destruct. Let alone burst into flames and kill you. So relax and enjoy your laptop in bed. :thumbsup: