1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe the economy will ever get better?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Stridenttube, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I'm losing hope of ever seeing the economy get back to where it was. It seems we are witnessing the destruction of the middle class. Do you think the jobs will ever come back or do you think we're all doomed? Inflation is skyrocketing but wages are at a standstill.

2. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

Unless both parties learn to work together, I don't see any rapid change occurring. It will definitely get better, no doubt, but how long it will take is unknown.

3. MerBear

please not another political themed thread but honestly in MY opinion , i think Obama is working with what he's got and the republicans are getting in his way. unemployment has went down to 7%. , its only my opinion and a side fact

4. photoguy93

I think it will get better. It might not be the same, but we have been in worse spots!

5. Gerit

It will get better, then get worse, then get better, then get worse as every economy does.

6. starfish

This ain't my first recession, and it won't be my last.

7. Dynamite

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The United States will be like South Africa in a hundred years or so. After that, we'll go the way of Zimbabwe.The U.S. ended sometime in the mid 60's.It will never officially end., instead it wil continually spin down the toilet bowl for about the next 300 years.

8. RainbowMan

There are definite signs of things getting better Expect a pretty awesome second half of 2013, IMO.

9. TKM

TKM

I have hope things will get better why not right? But I feel Obama wil do something good if the republicans will let him

10. MerBear

agreed.

11. Ticklish Fish

Heh, idk.
    but as history tells us, empires rise and fall. economy expand and contract lol.

12. Gerit

Keep in mind that Obama doesn't make all the decisions on economic recovery. We've actually recovered quite a bit from the 2008 financial crisis and things are starting to pick up. So it seems anyway. But right now in our current world, we as Americans and Europeans are living beyond our means, which spells disaster.

Look at the global economy. Not many countries are doing too well at the moment, especially in Europe. The US is about to hit the debt ceiling, and countries around the world are struggling with debt (Greece, Spain, France, Italy, and many more) and inflation (such as Japan). Even China, a recent economic giant, has had slowed growth recently. I honestly think things are going to get worse before they get better.

One man such as President Obama can't control the entire country's economy, but he certainly can influence it. If anything, we need to fix Congress. We're reaching that stage in society when our government starts to become corrupted, and nothing good can come of that.

13. Ticklish Fish

but wasn't global economy failing because of US economy failing?
    I might have got this wrong

14. Gerit

The US is a major component of the world economy, but the rest of the world also affects the US. The last I heard the US is about 20% of the world's economy. But just because the US is doing bad doesn't mean the others countries will do bad too. The opposite is especially true.

15. counterspade

I believe it will get better. Personally in my family...it's difficult to picture it getting much worse.

16. prism

The economy is recovering, but at an incredibly slow rate. The causes depend on your political views, so I'm not even going to get into that.

As an economist, I believe the United States' slow recovery is primarily due to a huge gap in production. To increase worker productivity, we need more efficient means of production. Currently, there is very little incentive for individuals to pursue degrees in math and science, so the U.S. isn't exactly leading the race in global innovation.

As a bitter middle class accountant on Wall Street, I also blame financial deregulation and banking fraud. There are a handful of CEOs that I wouldn't mind seeing strung up in a public plaza.

#16 prism, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  17. Kirito

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The world economy will certainly always recover, otherwise it's not of concern anyways since everyone would be brought down, which can't happen. As for the USA, my personal opinion is that massive inflation is necessary to save the USA, which is why you see quantitative easing. You better hope we don't end up like Japan. The debt and deficit crisis is less of a problem if $16 trillion dollars is worth nothing. Inflation helps the indebted and hurts investment; the USA is clearly on the winning side of hyperinflation. Unfortunately inflation has a negative connotation to it and the average citizen would be hurt from rising prices, but the average citizen has to pay the debt somehow anyways, so why not in the least painful way? I think the "destruction of the middle class" is talked about a lot, but what about the fleeing of the upperclass? Phil Michelson recently left California because his tax rate was ridiculous. Capital is mobile, sensitive and scare. It will seek the most hospitable localities and countries where there are oppurtunities for the greatest returns for the least risk. If you don't have a hospitable environment for capital, it will simply flow elsewhere.
    I hate to be hated for being the right-wing capitalist on a LGBT website, and I can tell in going to be vastly outnumbered, but in my humble opinion, left-wing views are not only "getting in the way" of progress, but reversing it. Flame shield up. I might even be banned for this post :frowning2:

#17 Kirito, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  18. Hexagon

Just be glad you aren't in the UK. You should see how much debt we have here. Everyones ignoring it though.

19. Madeleine

20. Motov

I hate to say this I think this year we will see inflation start to sky rocket.
    More tax n spend policies from the current administration will be detrimental to our economy. We simply cannot keep going down this path Taxing our way out of a recession is like trying to left up a bucket by the handle with both feet in it.