1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride: leiester, birmingham (uk) 2013?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caliber, Jan 24, 2013.

?

Are you attending pride 2013

1. of course

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. yes...its my first one though

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. no

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. HELLO!? hiding in the closet here

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    is anyone else attending pride in the UK even if your not it would be nice to hear how many of you are attending pride in your area, for me this will be the first ever pride i have attended in my life, and now i am proud to go to it. I'm hoping to join the LGBT group before pride because they take part in the parade so...it would be fun :slight_smile:

2. FruitFly

I shall be going to Birmingham Pride. No excuse not to go to a Pride event now that I'm living here, plus it feels like something that should be ticked off the list.

Should be an experience to remember eh.

3. Given To Fly

I'm probably gonna show my face at Birmingham Pride, just to see what it's all about :slight_smile:

4. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know which to go to, leicester is closest but people will ptobably know me there, but Birmingham Is far Far away but I would have to get a train

5. i am indeed!
    might be going to glasgow.
    but deffo london :slight_smile:

6. CTJ

CTJ

I doubt anyone i'm out to would want to go, so i'd end up there on my own. I think i'd rather give that a miss lol.

7. MichaelB

I'm going to the Brighton pride parade, and went to last years with a friend too.

Might venture to London's one, but truthfully it's the first I've heard of it. Sounds fun though.

8. Given To Fly

Birmingham is about an hour away by train - it'll cost you £12.50 for a day return ticket at the weekend. Just a short walk to the Gay Quarter from New Street Station.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

9. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd be going on my own, plus i have no idea how to get to the actual station, any help? is there only one station if so which stop?

#9 Caliber, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  10. Given To Fly

Well obviously I don't know whereabouts in Leicester you are - the station is near the town centre (I haven't been there for years so can't be much more specific - check google maps).

As for Birmingham, the gay quarter is centred around Hurst Street, which is about a 5 minute walk fromNew Street station, which is where the train will take you. Again check google maps for a better idea :slight_smile:

11. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks i know where new street station is been there before its a great place, i might go there as well as to leicester as now my friends horse that i rode has died i don't do horse riding anymore and can save up a good amount of money, do you know what they sell at pride (t-shirts maybe?)

12. FruitFly

Given your age and the fact you'd be going by yourself, the mentor inside of me is tempted to say leave Birmingham Pride for when you're a little older and/or have a friend or two who can either meet you there or go with you. Mainly because at least if you're in Leicester you'd know the area/transport links. Or maybe that's the overbearing sister in me eh.

Unless you're dead set on avoiding people you know in Leicester and heading to Birmingham, in which case you're pretty lucky as from Leicester train station it's a direct train to New Street, and once there it really is pretty easy to make your way to the Pride action. Generally you can't miss it if you're coming in from New Street.

Edit: Ha, I'm so slow! According to my lovely lady friend there should be a wide variety of stalls available at Pride, including those offering t-shirts for sale.

#12 FruitFly, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  13. dont walk out of the wrong exit! i did that once and was like wtf where am i, ran back in the station and nearly cried lol. theres two exits if its birmingham new street. victoria street is one exit and then the big main one! (no idea what street that is lol)

birmingham international is one train station aswell. i havent googled but i would assume you would need to go to new street.

EDIT: nevermind you know the station anyways :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I might see if my mum (at worst) or someone can drop me off at the station and then pick me back up, by the time pride comes I'll be 17 (wahoooo) and if i get stuck I've got a big gob on me. how far away is it from the N.E.C

15. FruitFly

The NEC is by Birmingham Airport, so it's quite the distance away... about 9 miles if I remember rightly?

16. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    huh, because if I'm dropped off at the NEC then the train goes through it to new street if i remember right, but i think i would prefer the train from Leicester

17. Given To Fly

Yep the NEC is quite a way out of the city. Not sure on the exact date of pride, but the new concourse at New St opens in April - if so then you will need the Hill St entrance, then it should be obvious from there. If the old concourse is still in use, you want the taxi entrance - through the ticket barrier and left or right - NoT upstairs into the shopping centre. And as someone mentioned definately not the Victoria Square (Stephenson Street) entrace.

There are lots of staff at New St - don't be afraid to ask for directions. If you're wary of asking for pride, ask for the Chinese Quarter - they are pretty much the same area.

18. FruitFly

It does, either would be a direct route and pretty easy to navigate. For some reason my brain just froze out and wondered what the NEC had to do with anything; I'm so used to just going straight to New Street I forgot about International. Whichever one you're most comfortable with eh.

As others have mentioned, New Street is literally crawling with staff and a good portion of them are willing to help.

19. Given To Fly

Yes if you get dropped at the NEC there are regular trains from Birmingham International (next to the NEC) to New Street. Trains are Every 5-15 minutes (varies during the day)

20. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, anyway before i go I'll get as many directions as i can, write them down, print pages ect and take a backpack so then i will defenently know where to go even if i have to ask questions