1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terms used on the forum.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Divopix, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Divopix

I'm very new to this forum and also to a lot of the words I see in threads and next to people gender and orientation.

I would appreciate it if someone could explain some of the words they see and at first didn't know what they meant. I want to be as politically correct as I can be and I wouldn't want to offend anyone by using the wrong term.

I could google it, but I want to know how you use the word and how you see it.

If you don't know what I mean, genderqueer would be an example. And also I see a lot of bi-romantic with some long words after it.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time :slight_smile: (*hug*)

2. ___-Romantic : Emotionally attracted to someone. For example...
    "Bi-Romantic Homosexual". Capable of a romantic relationship with both genders, sexually attracted to one of the same gender.

Androsexual: Lust for men.

Genderqueer: Not identifying as male or female.

Aromantic: Not capable of a romantic relationship; or no will to have one.
    Asexual: Not attracted to any sex; no will to have sex.

Bigender- Sometimes exhibits masculine behavior; sometimes feminine behavior.
    Agender- No gender.

For anymore, just ask!

#2 BubbleGumNinja, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I was in an LGBT presentation once and we were asked to come up with different terms that we had heard before. With only 25 people in the room we were able to reach 80 terms easily. Someone once told me there were more than 200 terms that people regularly use to identify themselves with. Yeah.. xD

Instead of being politically correct try to be inclusive. That usually means to accept whatever label someone gives you and to respect it. If you don't know what it means then its generally okay to ask the person about it.

Some very basic terms that might help you understand other terms:

Almost all terms with "gender" in them have to do with gender identity, which usually talk about someone whose biological sex doesn't match their gender. People usually use Trans* or transgender as an umbrella term for all of these terms (genderqueer, agender, transexual, pangender, bigender, two-spirit, etc)

Cisgender means when someone's biological sex matches their gender

Almost all terms with "sexual" talk about someone's sexual orientation. Those are usually pretty easy to get, but there is a wide variety. Usually people don't mind if you ask what the term means for them.

Almost all terms with "romantic" talk about someone’s romantic orientation. Follows the same pattern as sexual orientation, but its separate thing all together.

There are also terms like "butch" "femme" "androgynous" that talk about a person's gender expression.

Also, this picture will explain a lot of terms like gender identity, sexual orientation, sex, and gender expression. Its very simple and not completely accurate, but it gets the main idea across.

And there is tons out there, but I'm trying to make it as simple and generic as I can.

4. Divopix

The picture helped a lot! I mean, I feel like it would be weird to randomly comment on a thread asking about someone's sexual orientation or to post on their profile about it. I would most likely ask if it was in person.

Thank you both of you for your help!

5. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I find I can usually infer what it means, like if I see androsexual or heteroromantic. Just remember these:
    The prefix homo means same.
    The prefix hetero means different.
    The prefix andro means man.
    The prefix gyn means woman (I've never seen this one, though.)
    The prefix cis means same.
    The prefix trans means different.

These come from latin, so if you know that, that will help.

6. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Actually the homo-, hetero-, andro-, gyn-, prefixes from those words are from Greek, not Latin.

"Homo" in Latin means man, so if you went by the Latin root it would still work but only for gay/bi men.

I'm not sure how those last two Latin prepositions got their meanings, "cis" and "trans" technically refer to geographical locations in terms of being near or far.

Transylvania (Trans+Silva) = "beyond the woods"

Cisalpine = "on this side of the Alps"

7. Harve

Do we really need so many labels for everything? I can't fully describe it, but it almost comes across as patronising to me.

8. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Ideally, not.
    But they save time/lenghty explanations.

9. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    At a certain point l have to tune a person out if l get the feeling that they're "in it" for the labels.

l don't get patronizing. Do you mean like we should all just be working together and not trying to set ourselves apart from each other? l get kind of an ironic vibe from that the idea of expanding LGBTQ when it's supposed to be something to unite queers seems contradictory. But it's not like most people actually want all of these terms included in that acronym.

10. MerBear

some people are just comfortable with labels. some are not. its just how it is.

11. Acobi

Acobi Guest

This. I think while labels can have this negatory connotation, they are helpful in understanding someone's perspectives or where they are coming from in a certain situation.

12. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Its all up for opinion, but I personally think labeling things its part of our nature. That's how we are able to easily navigate the world.

In LGBTQ friendly places you will find that people get as specific as they want, but, usually, they will use very vague terms when they are in public or with a stranger. It all depends on the person, but for many people labels make it easier to find people to relate to since out stories are affected by our identities.

13. Fiddledeedee

If you aren't sure of what someone has put, I expect that most people won't mind if you drop a message on their wall to clarify, especially if it's a term with variable meaning. :slight_smile:

Gus: The Genderbread Person has been updated to improve accuracy. Whilst still not perfect for everyone, the new version gives more than a left-right scale.

14. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Whats the term for someone who likes girls mostly in both a sexual and emotional way, but would also have a sexual and emotional relationship with a pre-op ftm, and who is also physically attracted to some boys but wont have a sexual relationship wih a guy? Whats that called?

15. georgesexual :grin:

16. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Honestly, whatever the fuck you want :slight_smile:

Some people choose to go with Queer to just say "its complicated, but I'm not just straight" or they decide to go with "gay" because that's just easier to explain. It doesn't matter as long as you are happy :slight_smile:

Yeah, I know, but I find that most people that are just starting to learn about everything have a hard time following the new version. I agree its way better than the first one. The guy making it is really good at what he does.

Thanks for pointing it out, though! I should probably start mentioning that there is a new version, but that the first version might be easier :slight_smile:

17. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Well, I'm stupid. That's what I get for posting too late.

18. Reptillian

There's undefined sexuality / pomosexual. It not a very common term, but you'll see this term within my posts in case you and I get active in this forum.

19. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Haha 'Georgesexual'! XD Thats hysterical!