1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to hint you're gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chickzak, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Chickzak

Any ideas EC? The topic of homosexuality rarely ever comes up in conversation and even if it did, I'd be a little reluctant to make an input in discussion.

Not comfortable blatantly saying out to my (work) friends I'm gay, but would like them to know.. somehow.

What can I say that might indicate I'm gay? I know its not always true, but lovers of Lady G and her music might indicate they're gay, but I dont like her music to thaaaaaaaat extent!

Any ideas? :icon_wink

2. Beachboi92

a little rainbow something or a piece of jewelry with rainbows or locked girl and girl signs. Otherwise you could always mention something in passing in regular conversation about going on a date with a girl or liking a girl. I like to just treat it very casually and honestly it is easier than trying to have some sit down and is more comfortable for all involved imo.

3. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

A few days before my mum outed me I carefully painted the lambda on my fingernails along with the lesbian sign, the pink triangle, the 'leather' flag and a few others. I think she got the hint! :grin: it was subtle and quite an unusual way to come out!

4. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    let people ask. l am in no way motivated to send hints, l guess. To straight people. lt feels wrong to me, like l'm trying to be validated or something?

l don't know. l do talk about girls l find hot, lots of other women (straight) do this too actually.

l think in most cases even if you're semi open about it and don't mind if people think you're gay, they're going to think you're bi unless you look stereotypically lesbian to them.

But honestly that doesn't bother me and l've been open with a lot of people about not being into men if they ask about it.

as far as LGBT ladies are concerned, l find most pick up on it with no "code". So, whether gaydar is real or not is up for debate but that's my experience.

#4 OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  5. mickie newton

This article talks about this very subject. Might be helpful :slight_smile:

Playing It Straight

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2013 at 09:01 PM ----------

As for me...To be honest it's something I do my uppermost not to hide anymore. I think it's because I spent so long hiding, I am not prepared to do that anymore.

As George has already said things like bracelets etc are one idea. You can buy some really pretty LGBT jeweler now, doesn't have to be the usual rainbow friendship bracelets.

Me, I can be less subtle :lol: I have some tee's I wear sometimes. Waiting for one that says 'marriage is so gay' I have images of girls for my wallpapers, LGBT books I sometimes read on the bus, reading Diva or g3 and so forth.

Friends found out online when I started posting bits and bobs about LGBT rights etc...pretty HUGE hint really. But it's the sort of thing you can mention, your thoughts on LGBT rights (could be a way of testing the water if you wanted too).

But please don't assume my way is your way. Just read what we all suggest and take it from there. After all we are all different people :icon_bigg

6. Iamthewalrus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I first started work, I was asked if I had a girlfriend and I said no in such a way that all it took was for one girl to pick up the subtext and have the guts to call me on it and I was out to most of the office. If you're not looking for something like that then maybe if you have any male colleagues who like to discuss women they find attractive you could chip in a few opinions of your own. I'm sure that if you spend enough time with your colleagues, a conversation should eventually come up where you can drop a few hints. And if this doesn't happen, I'm not sure I understand why you would want to be in a hurry to come out to people you have no social relationship with if you're not comfortable with that.

7. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

You could wear rainbow things, maybe talking about gay/lesbian celebrities, another thing could be to just drop some hints. If you ever talk about certain female celebrities, you could talk about the ones you think are hot.

I think if there are women you work with who are gay they probably already know. At least that's what I've experienced :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find the best way to segue into telling them is to just talk about gay marriage, and then casually drop something like "I personally am bisexual, myself, so I do have stake in the debate".

However, in terms of just hinting, there's not a lot you can do. If you happen to have some stereotypical traits, most people will guess. Things like rainbow bracelets might help, but no one in their right mind is going to feel any more comfortable asking another person if they're gay, just because that person's wearing a rainbow accessory :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

9. Reptillian

I'll say there is no guarantee that people will get on the subtle hint and even behaviors is 't always an accurate predictor.

10. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Join theater.

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2013 at 11:55 PM ----------

Or, more seriously, just act actively uninterested in men. Since being gay is more well-known than asexual, people will assume you're gay.
    Example:
    Friend: "Do you think I should ask Fred out?"
    You: "No, I'd avoid that"

11. Invisigoth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    a subtle hint works, like..
    slamming both hands on the table while standing up shrieking 'im Gay God damn it!'
    it worked for me

12. mickie newton

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

So you're VERY shy then and an introvert?! :lol:frowning2:!):lol:frowning2:!):lol:

#12 mickie newton, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  13. isobella

Why the f*** do you want to advertise whom you like to have sex with?! I find it f***ing ridiculous and completely dumb.
    Just go about life being yourself, and keep your sexual life private.
    The world doesn't need to know!
    Do you see heterosexual people waving around symbols of men/women having sex to hint their preferences?! NO.

/rant.

14. Reptillian

I agree about this. I am curious on how you would manage being a homoflexible individual, you're not the first one I met. I have met a homoflexible lesbian at AVEN and she loves having mechanical stimulation from having sex with men (There's a differences between enjoying someone because of the gender and enjoying someone because of the stimulation). She had to admit to men that she's a lesbian and she also have to say to them that they shouldn't be against her because she's a lesbian while letting them know that she did enjoy having sex with them. All her emotional attraction seems to be entirely directed to women, she never wanted romance with men.

#14 Reptillian, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  15. LouisKat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it might be a bit harsh for those who have asked why this person would want to advertise her orientation. I have had situations, especially with women, when people were talking about queer issues in a less than positive way or in a very childish way. "I don't know how any woman could put her *some body part* on *some body part*" *giggle giggle giggle* Maybe they would not do that if they knew.... also, maybe she wants people to know who she would be open to flirting with/dating. Heterosexual people do not have to advertise because everyone is assumed hetero as default for the most part.

Anyway, I would agree with the symbol thing. Get a small piece of jewelry or a keychain or something people can see.

16. Ianthe

Unfortunately, the only "hints" that work, in my experience, are fairly blatant ones, such as openly talking about wanting a girlfriend, or something like that. Having things on you or around you that explicitly mention being gay, or talking about gay issues regularly.

Straight people display their sexuality CONSTANTLY, without even noticing that they are doing it. It starts at about age 9 for girls, when they start scrawling hearts all over their favorite male celebrities' pictures, which they have glued to the front of the binder they keep their schoolwork in. Did any of the lesbians get to do the same with female celebrities on our binders? No. Straight girls and straight women LOVE to talk about cute guys. A lot. (Straight men make their interest in women known to each other all the time too, really. In somewhat different ways.)

Also, for (most) straight people (except those who seem really gay to people), the assumption everyone makes about their sexuality is correct. That isn't true for gay and bisexual people.

I can't even go into the grocery store without Cosmo trying to sell me this month's "17 hottest sex positions to please your man!"

Blatant, overt, in-your-face heterosexuality is everywhere in our culture, all the time. So much so, that people don't even notice, because it just blend's in. In fact, most straight people "put their sexuality on display" a lot more than the typical gay person.

17. Motov

I think this is one of those gaydar testing moments if you are trying to be discreet. Subtle hints that gay people pick up but non gay people would ignore either because they have no clue, or they have no interest

18. Oddish

Oddish Guest

..or slamming both hands on something else.

:grin:

This is actually a really good question! To be honest, I wanted to start hinting out my sexuality in school a bit for really no reason but in hopes that somebody won't be completely oblivious and might say something nice or I might attract somebody. Kinda like a peacock! If I wear bright rainbow colours I'll attract a mate, right? I wanted to wear a rainbow bracelet or a necklace or something.

I was actually planning on organizing a GLBT group for my school, too. Or planning something where all of us gay/bi/under the umbrella kids would hang out at the local group here, outside of school. So, yeah. The more attention I bring, the better, really. And my school's pretty gay-friendly based on my experiences so far. Anti-bullying and all that really sweet jazz.

I'd say maybe wear more 'prideful clothing'? Or paint your nails! Or wear a colourful bracelet like the pride flag or bisexual flag or whichever flag you identify with. I was even thinking of getting one of those legalize gay shirts at one point for the same reason and another.

19. Awkward Balloon

Well to hint my sexuality, I've completely stopped discussing girls and normally leave conversations when the topic is brought up. It's not because I have a problem with it, I just think that if people thought about it long enough they'd realize.
    I've also used a very blatant hint on my friend that went straight over my female friends head.

Me : It's sad to think of all the closeted gays in our school, too afraid to come out.
    Her : Yes, there are probably so many of them.
    Me : I'm sure some of our close friends are secretly...
    Her : I know! You don't seem like someone who would be gay.
    Me : You never know.

I practically admitted it to her and she missed to obvious hint -_-

20. Alexander69

I've tried to hint to my friend fr along time she doesn't get it she's so stupid I guess that why we get along LOL I see some cute gay guys and I go oh their gay she's like "how do you know" ok like gurl please and she just laughs an goes "ya I think they are they are making hand movements like a girl" i want to say BETCH I'm gay I don't do that!!! And she's sometimes goes and says gay men pinch their lips together and do like EW face were the lips get long an I'm like you can't say someone is gay because get make an EW face! And she's like oh he's so gay I'm like how do you know she's like look at his make up I'm like THAT'S A FAKE TAN! And then I always talk about penis and sHE DOESN'T GET IT. Maybe she doesn't want to..... She's a homophobe I think but she is a model and works with gay men I don't get why she doesn't like us. Ugh shallow betch! She's my friend but she's not at the same time if that makes sense we used to hate each other but we started getting along somehow I don't even remember If it was at one of my parties idk but see gotten really bitchy again I wrote a thread about her attitude in support and advice a while ago but ya wayyyyy of topic LMAOOOO