1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facial Recognition/Attraction?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 25, 2013.

1. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Kind of a weird topic but l've noticed that l have a really awful time with telling men apart.

More recently l'm getting better with male actors, for years if there were several male actors in a series l'd have to get pretty far into it to be able to tell anyone of them apart unless they had a feature that was as different as it could possibly be (like race lol).

But not with women, pretty much the opposite.

So are you better at differentiating the faces of the sex you find attractive?

Or for bisexuals, is either easier for you?

2. Hexagon

Uh, I can't really comment on the sexual attraction side, but the facial recognition thing caught my eye. I have loads of difficulty recognising faces, even those belonging to my family, and its known as face blindness. Its a trait shared by many, though not all, autistics.

3. Brenny

Well when it comes to all the customers I meet everyday, women tell me all the time they remember me and will explain how they are regulars and give their names. I'm just like... "We have met??" Lol so I think you may be on to something. I feel like the female customers all look the same after a while. I think this has to do with attraction, yes. But at the same time, beautiful women are hard for me to forget. I can't say there is sex that I recognize more easily. I think it mostly has to do with who I find pretty or handsome. I probably didn't give much of an answer.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    you're basically saying what l am then. l mean if a man is really distinctive in some way l won't find that 'handsome" but he's not going to blend in like the rest do. Even if that is like 3 men lol.

But typically with women even the non descript ones don't slip through the cracks so easily.

l have that with men all the time :confused: l saw an ex coworker at the store and he was all OH HAI OMGWTBBQ GIRL! And l knew l knew l him somehow but just did NOT know from where, waited for him to keep talking loool

Also Emma Watson is a goddess ^_^

#4 OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  5. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I've always been really good at facial recognition, I'm one of those people who within two seconds of seeing someone I'll be like "Oh, that person played so and so on that one show!!" and everyone will be like"oh yeah!" lol. I've never really had trouble with identifying people, maybe it's a gift :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Chimera

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like Hexagon, I also have moderate prosopagnosia (face blindness). Male, female, doesn't matter. I have to watch movies with friends so they can help me keep tabs on the main characters otherwise I lose them! However, I do remember people I find attractive a little easier. The butterflies tip me off :wink:

7. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    it's definitely like that for me in movies too. IRL, not to a degree that l would have trouble with coworkers, etc as long as l'm seeing them regularly.

But l do think the attraction helps a little if it's true in your case too :confused: And also l don't believe myself to be an autistic lol.

8. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah me too. I'll be watching a movie, and be all like "That's the guy who appeared for two seconds in that crowd scene in Star Trek: The Next Generation, Episode 24" xD

9. Cecil

I recognize faces more than names. So I don't have that problem apparently.
    It may also have to do with being an artist I have to be able to see details and identify differences? But idk

10. lxlJDlxl

When I was a kid, like 10-12 years old, I usually thinks all Americans look the same. All Indians look the same. etc.. But was able to tell them apart slowly when I was 14. 3 Years later, I can tell them apart. :slight_smile: Unless the actors and actresses uses wigs and costumes that would be hard for me to recognize them.

11. leer

Am quite good at remembering faces & names even from a distance

12. TheDifferent13

I'm generally good with remembering faces, and with male faces more so than with female faces. I'll pretty much remember every male face I see, but with female faces, I might not remember all the details, so I sometimes mix someone up with someone else. I'm bad with remembering the names, for the first time someone introduces him-/herself to me. :lol:

For example, I used to think Anne Hathaway and Krysten Ritter were the same person, cause they seem so alike to me, that I couldn't tell them apart. Now after a while I kind of see the differences. But they might be completely different for someone else, I don't know. On the other side, I was watching Iron Man with my family the other day, and they all thought Samuel L Jackson was the same guy, that played Morpheus in The Matrix (which is actually Laurence Fishburne) and to me the difference between the two were obvious, so I couldn't understand how they could think it's the same guy.

So I could say, we do observe people of gender, we're interested in, with more focus to the details (at least it is so in my case). I guess it is even more so, if the person we are looking at, is sexually appealing to us, as it causes our pupils to dialate, which heightens our attention and focus to the details.

#12 TheDifferent13, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  13. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    LOLz at those mixups.

my stepdad still makes fun of me for thinking Mel Gibson and Alan Thicke are the same person.