1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How are we gay? Why are we gay? Why is the whole world not gay? Why are we different?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Alexander69

A the title says ^ I WANT to know why we are gay? What makes us gay scientifically?! I'd it a hormone thing a difference in chemicals and extra gene what is it? How does this happen why does this happen? Why have we always been around and are still not accepted!? Why are there straight people and why do we consider them the "norm" how do you know that homosexuality wasn't the norm? HEY? How do you know because the "bible" days so? Because mortal men translated a book to their meaning? We follow them? 1 god does not make mistakes do how can any one justify what the bible or religion has to say about homosexuality! Hey?! If god is perfect and homosexuality is a "misstake" why are we here as I've said god does not make mistakes? So tell me then? If religious people are just following god why are they allowed to hate? Treat others as you want to be treated so that means I can go knock the fuck out of heteros because they feel they can do gay bashings? I hate straight people not just because they are treated better or not looked down on due to their sexual preference because they har nothing to worry about how dare they sit and complain about stress please they have no clue what it feels like to hate yourself to wish you were different to hold a secret for so long to worry about the world hating you and not treating you equally how date they try to complain about their sorry perfect lives have no fear about going to hell being a sinner while we sit and cry every night in fear of being founded out or cry because we have been founded out, to cry ad bath in our shame and they complain about stress? About life and work? And about anything else try can pick at to make there life's seem hard. They couldn't last a day in our shoes handle out fear. Heterosexuals don't worry about bullying at school why should they homosexuals are the ones who are bullied how many time are heterosexuals made fun of and shamed for their sexuality? NEVER while we sit and listen to out sexual education on ONLY heterosexuality we dot learn how to have safe homosexual sex or how gays have sex do we no? DISCRIMINATION again with out it even being noted. While I get yelled at and called a faggot waking down the street when I have done nothing to provoke these nasty comments what do heterosexuals get? NOTHING they walk in freedom not in shame how I would love to not feel shame all the time and fear feel like I had no worries. Sorry if this offended anyone but I needed to air this out this stuff bothers me so SO much because heterosexuals no matter now much they try could nerve EVER understand us or how we feel.

2. Ticklish Fish

Re: How are we gay? Why are we gay? Why is the whole world not gay? Why are we differ

don't bug with the science part, it's still undergo researches...

though i saw a post recently talked about how hormones don't affect sexuality. the people experimented still go for same team. (maybe bad memory, can't remember every post I read here)

3. Reptillian

Re: How are we gay? Why are we gay? Why is the whole world not gay? Why are we differ

You're going to find sexuality is due to many variables if you do a lot of researches. There's even a theory that suggests sexual orientations does not exist because it exists as a social construct. There's a lot of different theories out there and a lot of different studies while not one is without problems.

4. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people

why do we consider them the "norm" how do you know that homosexuality wasn't the norm?

well. There's the whole thing about us existing...as a species:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But yes, otherwise excellent points l cannot answer lol.

5. Acobi

Acobi Guest

Yeah there is no gay "gene" and its really difficult to define biologically. However, I think homosexuality and really any sexuality is tied into personality and who you are--which is even more difficult to define biologically. There are simply way to many factors and variables that influence us.

I'm sorry you feel upset right now :frowning2: But I believe one day in the future this will never be even an issue. Just like how women, African Americans, and other social minority and oppressed groups have seen large social progressions. One day I believe our community will see such progression as well.

6. leer

allot of questions there Alexandra .....
    When I discovered i was 100% gay about 11 or 12 I asked myself a load of questions like the ones In your post and the short answer is I dont know and I doubt anyone is 100% sure . so hears what I have sort of figured out its sort of all genetic in the jeans kind of but It doesnt run in the family it`s as if you are the chosen one ''I know that sounds stupid but what the hell''. I do know allot of people have studied various theories of why people are gay for god knows how meany years and have come up with the same answer so nobody knows for sure. but I think you need to appreciate what you have and be proud of that fact .

7. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I personally think it's a combination of a genetic mutation/inherited gene as well as psychological, brought on during childhood development. I'm certain that it's mostly psychological, and that perhaps some people are more likely to be homosexual based upon certain chromosomes.

An overwhelming pattern I've noticed amongst homosexual and bisexual people is emotional distance/issues with the parent of the same gender. My Dad's great, but due to my parent's divorce, I only saw him 5 days a month. My last crush, who is also bisexual, was also emotionally distant with his Dad. He still loved him, but there just wasn't that close father-son relationship. A bunch of other people I've met who are bi/gay also mentioned distance with both/one of their parents. This to me suggests that during childhood, the child models his future relationships off of the relationship dynamics between his father and mother, and also through his relationship with his father (the opposite for girls). The lack of a close relationship to one's father, and/or dysfunctional relations between the parents may be what causes homosexuality. I feel no shame being homosexual, but from an evolutionary perspective, it's obviously a deviance from normality, which suggests some part of the child's normal development was disrupted.

8. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Fetuses that become gay often have more estrogen during the womb, and MRIs often show that their brains are more like a woman's brain than the average man's brain.

9. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people

well l wonder why they didn't see this ages ago. l mean it's usually not hard to differentiate between male and female brains from scans, dating pretty far back (the 90s? l don't know).

so l wonder in what ways they're different. l read about it sort of, they found similar results for lesbians too.

but then l wonder why they went onto to do waht seems like indirect research and neglected to talk about this, like the finger ratio science and all of that.

And even though l do have the 'male' finger ratio, l'm not convinced that my brain would show up as so typical of a man on an MRI that a doctor could simply guess that it was a male brain without knowing anything else.

So l really wonder about just how strongly the hormones do affect the entire structure l guess lol, l find most of us are like a delightful fusion.

#9 OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  10. Ditz

I don't know, I've asked those question so many times and I've read and studied everything I could get my hands on to try and figure it out. I think it might be a combination of factors, it might be totally genetic, it might be like 4AllEternity pointed out psychological... Maybe it's because everyone is unique and there's many ways to get to being Gay and that's why they haven't been able to pin point it.

I always figured that if I could figure out why I was gay/bi that I could maybe fix it... Obviously that's not going to happen, simply because you can't fix something that isn't broken. You can however break something that's whole and I think therein lies the hurt so many of us experience, we try to fix ourselves whereby we actually break ourselves... In other words we where never broken to start off with.

It's irrelevant how our sexualities ended up being what they are, it's a mould that's perfect and unchangeable. The moment you try to change it you will break it. Maybe that mould started off being totally genetic, maybe it was totally psychological, maybe it was a bit of both... It's irrelevant how it was made, point is it was made and the end result was perfect... Until we try and change it.

Personally, in my own life, I think my mould was made from a combination of factors. As a creative, sensitive person, maybe I was predisposed, certainly that's genetic but not conclusive to form a sexual orientation. Then comes my life's experiences which would have been influenced by how my personality and traits where structured around what I was given genetically. So how I was treated by my pears, by adults, by my parents definitely form the structure of how I developed psychologically and I think the combination of those factors formed the mould of who I became.

So both genetics and psychology, for me that is, would I have turned out differently if the recipe was changed? Maybe, who knows, all I know the cake has been baked and I am what I am, I just need to learn how to accept and embrace it in stead of trying to change it... It would be like trying to change a chocolate cake into a cheese cake after its been baked... Ain't gonna happen, there's no way to separate the ingredients after its been baked.

That my theory, based on myself, it might not apply to you but for me, it applies to myself and makes perfect sense.

#10 Ditz, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

No one knows for certain yet. We know it's fixed and not changeable, and that's all that really matters.

"Normal" just means "Most." That's all. People read too much into it.

People who really understand religious teachings and truly live the way the Bible tells us to don't hate or judge anyone. Unfortunately, the majority of religious people are ignorant, closed minded bigots. In short, they twist the Bible to justify their own bigotry. Ignore them.

That makes no sense. Unless you would want to be bashed, you wouldn't bash anyone else. And just because someone is bigoted and ignorant and wants to bash someone doesn't justify bashing them. They're hurting -- and perhaps closeted themselves -- and that's why they act the way they do.

To be fair, there are plenty of heterosexual kids who are bashed, bullied, made fun of, and the like. Kids who are shorter, fatter, less attractive, less intelligent, can't afford nice clothes, are too intelligent or "nerdy", or any of a hundred other reasons. Gay people do get bullied more, but there are plenty of straight kids that commit suicide from bullying, or have other severe problems.

And not to make you feel crappy, but read some of your posts from when you first joined EC. You ripped on everyone who didn't have as much money as you did, implied that people who didn't wear designer clothes didn't care about how they looked, and all sorts of other horrendous stuff. In short, you bullied everyone who wasn't rich.

I'm saying that not to bash you... but to help you understand, for just a moment, the mindset of people who bully. They do it because they, themselves are insecure... or because their parents are bullies (or, in your parents' case, pretentious assholes). That's what they learned, and they, themselves are hurting, so that's why they do what they do. It doesn't make it right, but maybe it makes it a little more understandable.

And, like you, some of them will have the opportunity to understand what they did, and learn how to change themselves.

I'm sorry you're feeling angry and upset about things. But in a way, it's good because it also means you're thinking about these things, coming to understand yourself better, and working to make things work better for yourself.

Keep talking about this sort of stuff. Getting the feelings out is really important and really helpful to learning to love yourself. :slight_smile:

12. Yogabear

Yogabear Guest

Out Status:
    Some people

I tthink its a great thing to vent out your frustrations of how we're treated in normal society. Allowing these frustrations out can only do good. However, don't dwell on self-loathing and in my view that its hetrosexuals problems of not accepting not mine. Maybe an off handed approach is best in adapting to your surroundings in who you or who yodon't allow to know your sexual orientation/lifestyle of your own control or whatever can help.

The questions htatou pose are very very interesting to the LGTB community as well as academia as a whole. All of the posts have pointed you in scattered areas of research focus from evolutioary biology, psychology, sociology, and in general history of the lgtb evolution. Many people on here can expound on their opinions but nobody truly knows these answers. Being at peace of not knowing for now or the indefinite future can go a long way of accepting this reality because in all reality that these questitons as of this writing are unanswerable to science and theology.

Lastly, I'd like to give my small theory or opinion of how homosexuality evolved and its importance today. As others have pointed out that this isn' a simple solution. Many variables come into consideration like some homosexuals know as children, ateenage and adult and have different trigger or switches setting them off to occur. Personally evolutionary biology predisposes the genetic personal/physical attraction to members of the same sex to eliminate th survival or progressive nature of the species of homo sapiens. I'm perfectly fine with this view and my upbringing not being close to my father, sexual abuse or whatever makes me emotionally attracted to men more than women. Hopefully this helps you out and wish that I could tackle each issue but that is very time consuming.

hugs,
    Peter

13. lxlJDlxl

I cannot answer this question as I am still looking for the answer.
    But while still on my way to enlightenment, I encountered some that baffled me profoundly.

Stating one would be; Homosexuality is a Nature-Nurture process, that saying, you inherit it from your parents and you can also get it from the environment. For example, a girl just broke up with her boyfriend and she is greatly hurt then she experimented with a girl and she felt as if she is safe with the same-sex relationship so she stayed with that relationship. Yep, I know that my argument is quite debatable but that is just what I have learned according to my research.

Second is also what Reptillian has stated.

Now I will try to answer these based on the span of my knowledge:
    Homosexuality has been around and not accepted because people or the vast majority of people and the church(When I say church, it means the people of the church. Just to avoid misinterpretations) says that it is not normal, that is, it is deviant and the church has great influence on us. Like I indirectly implied previously, it(homosexuality) is not considered as norm because it is deviant. Deviant based on statistical definition of it.
    straight people are called the "norm" because there are a lot of them.

First of all, I just want to clarify that religion makes mistakes. It is only God who is all perfect. Not religion. For Religion has many lapses. One for example is about the Roman Catholic church, they have a history of murdering men, women and children; Those who do not adhere to their rules.
    If people have really understood what was stated on the gospel, they would not spread hate. For the gospel was not made to spread hate but to spread love. It is to spread the glad tidings God have sent us. Remember that Jesus Christ died for our sins.

And who has to say who is going to God's kingdom? People are not God, people are just like us, they are in no position to condemn homosexuals in any way. They are playing God if they condemn someone for their ways of life.
    Leave them no room in your mind.

Like what chips stated, it also makes no sense for me because would you add fire to fire to extinguish the flame? You add water to extinguish the flame, right? This is also what the Bible tries to preach,"go an extra mile" Jesus said that if someone wants to slap your face, give them the other side of your cheek. Go an extra mile, for you would not get a new result if you treat people the way you treat them.

And my statement ends here, I hope it helps and makes sense. Because I rarely answer posts with a long reply(at least it is a long reply for me xD).

14. Zontar

Judging on the behavior of bonobos, I have a feeling that "born this way" is far from the definitive explanation.

15. octiimuus

Out Status:
    Some people

My very short opinion on a very small slice of your questions is heterosexual: keep the species going, homosexual: population control. Just imagine how different the world would be if we reproduced asexually.