1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technically speaking, does putting up my picture risk outing me?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jutwanahaveboys, Jan 26, 2013.

1. jutwanahaveboys

the question on my mind is, does putting up my picture risk outing me? for example, lets say I put up a picture on the forums here, can someone match it to my facebook or watsapp or true identity? and if someone knows me already and searched me on the internet, will a link to my profile on here be found?

P.s the picture I plan on putting up is not on facebook just watsapp, and I can take it down from there too.

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Firstly, you can't post photos on the forum here for privacy reasons. You can post photos on your profile or in albums, though, and they won't be visible to non-members. I don't think they'd be searchable either.

3. ptacub

ptacub Guest

Not exactly, no. Search engines like Google will only search text to find information, so unless accounts are linked (which is unlikely, because you cannot link EC with WhatsApp or Facebook), there is a low probability that anyone will find the picture.

If you are still worried, I suggest either putting up two different pictures, or just not use a picture at all. I don't use a personal pic for either: I use avatars.

4. counterspade

I don't see how it could be traceable... but if you're concerned about it, don't put up the picture. The way I see it is: if you're OK with putting pictures on Facebook, which can be found on Google, then I see no harm in posting a picture on here, a secured forum.

Don't do anything you're not comfortable with.

5. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont think anything is linked with EC, so the chance of a non member finding your pics is extreamly low

6. lxlJDlxl

I think it would be highly unlikely that anyone will find your picture picture here. :slight_smile:
    Unless the person who is looking for you is also a member of this site. And/or he/she searches your picture via google picture search, but it would be too time consuming and tiring, so I think no.

p.s: sorry for the ungrammatical sentences.

7. jutwanahaveboys

awesome thanks guys!

8. TheDifferent13

I was kind of sceptical of putting a picture of myself up also. Cause someone who knows me, might recognize me from it, if they're on the forum also. But then I thought, if they're on this forum, they must be in the same boat as me, so I just put it up.

But if you want to be really safe, while still putting a picture up, just put up a picture you haven't used anywhere else, or edit it so it won't be the same, and don't name it anything, that might be linked to your real name or your accounts at those other sites, or anything that might be related to you.

9. Given To Fly

Technically, yes. Realistically, probably not. :slight_smile:

10. Xochipilli

It's a small world. People you know have a knack for popping up in the unlikeliest of places.
    But forget them and do what you feel man!

11. Acobi

Acobi Guest

THIS! If someone recognizes you-it does not matter at all because they are on the same website. I did not think about this myself but now I do it is so true. Have no fear! You are in good company.

12. hello1992

I had the same thoughts.

I am avoiding putting pictures of myself just to be safe. I know one or two of my friends have used 'gay support sites' before and there is a chance they may be on this one and still active, so i ma not taking that risk. Also, some of the stuff i say on EC is kind of personal and i wouldnt say it to my actual friends, i feel i can talk freely here.

sometimes i think that i say quite specific stuff such aswhat happened to me today that could make someone guess that hello123 was actually me.

if its a photo that is fairly generic then it shouldnt be a problem, but if its your face and you really dont want to come out (in this way), then why risk it...?

13. Caleb93

I think your username is more important than your avatar as far as privacy is concerned, since that is actual text that shows up in the public forums. It could show up in a Google search. If you used the same username as your twitter name or something like that, you might want to consider having it changed.

14. jutwanahaveboys

Well obviously as you cal all see I decided to put it up. lets hope all goes well :slight_smile: