1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone be addicted to soda??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thegaymer, Jan 26, 2013.

1. thegaymer

Ok, all my life I didn't really like soda that much, but a few months ago my friend convinced me to try some Mountain Dew. This is how my 'addiction' began.

Today I like almost all the different flavors of it and drink at least one can everyday. On nights I need to study, I may drink (at most) three cans just to stay awake.

So do you think that its an addiction and has this happened to anyone else with soda or food ect.

(favorite flavor is voltage)

2. Acobi

Acobi Guest

You can get a mental addiction to anything really. Physical? I don't think so. I dont think its an addiction to soda but it may seem you like caffeine a lot. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Mikeysaur

Mikeysaur Guest

You better not drink too much. Mountain Dew has a reputation for destroying your teeth.

4. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't worry about it, I drink at least one big bottle of Pepsi a day.

5. photoguy93

In a way, it is. Just try cutting it all away. You'll notice it.

It's worth cutting back on. I did and I lost weight. I feel better, too.

6. Divopix

You can get addicted to anything!

7. Hatsupi Kona

Hatsupi Kona Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I always drink water. I find any soda to be too bubbly. Just mix some water with the soda so you don't drink as much soda but I think mixing it with water is disgusting. Oh well, you decide.

8. Ticklish Fish

9. Equalist

Equalist Guest

I wouldn't call it an addiction, but your brain is somewhat dependent on it. With soda being primarily consisted of sugar, higher levels of dopamine are being stimulated, which causes your brain to perceive a "feel good" sensation. Thus, you get your addiction to soda; you want that "feel good" sensation. It's best to avoid these cravings as much as possible, because while you may not feel it or see it physically, you are damaging your body.

10. thegaymer

11. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's possible to cultivate an addiction towards anything, as others have said, and soda is no different, unfortunately. While it can be satisfying to drink, especially if you're extremely thirsty, mostly everyone knows that it's never a bad thing to cut down on the amount you drink... even if it's only one a day. The amount of sugar content in 'soft drinks' is ridiculous, and it's amazing how much weight a person can lose just by cutting out sodas from their daily diet (even though I'm not a calorie-counter myself, nor do I wish to lose weight, but in regards to it helping your health and the medical science of it all, it's interesting.) The sodium content in sodas also isn't good at all.

And, fuck. This just reminded me, or encouraged me, to lay lower on the soda too. And yet here I am, drinking one. I started cutting back on soda a few years ago and have been doing pretty well, though. Sometimes I'll only drink at maximum maybe 4 sodas a month, but stilll, it's not the healthiest thing.

Personally, if you're starting to worry about how much soda you're drinking, I'd recommend finding something else to drink that can have just as much flavor to it. Preferably, try to switch from any artificial, carbonated soda gradually onto something more natural, such as good juices and teas (watch out for artificial flavors and high amounts of sugar in those too, though.) With sodas, it's not so much the sugar, but the quality of the sugar (artificial), the calories, and how your body is consuming them, which is by drinking it and so much of it very quickly. In other words, when you're choosing other sweet drinks to replace your soda, think quality over quantity.

So for instance, if you don't wish to quit soda 'cold turkey' (which I do recommend), in order to cut down your intake you can try switching off between a soda and another healthier drink every other day. So let's say that you'll have a soda on Monday, but the next day, promise to drink water, or tea (etc) the entire day. Something that's healthier and isn't soda. Then the next day, allow yourself a soda, and then have tea/water the day after that, and so on. You get the gist. Even if you decide to keep drinking sodas, try your best to keep it to just one. Drink water when you go out to eat, or have a nice beer/glass of wine instead. If you want that bubbly 'carbonated' taste, try sparkling water mixed with a natural juice flavor that you like. You can even just drink half of a soda when you do have one, and pour the rest down the drain so you're not tempted. Seems like a waste at first, but better to waste soda than potentially your own health, right? Then hopefully, little by little, you'll become less tempted to drink soda all of the time. Might take some getting used to, but it's worth it.

12. Ticklish Fish

try drinking water!
    it's so fresh and makes you feel sexy!

like, water sex kind of sexy feeling!

13. Alexander69

Caffeine is a drug if it is in there it is quite possible to have an addiction. I stay away from anything with sugar in it. I drink water only and sometimes some fresh squeezed (I squeeze them) orange juice!! I would stay away from pop of any kind the sugar rots your stomach not to mention they add carbonation to trick the body into not realizing how much sugar is in it because having all that sugar at one time can trigger a shock to your body so the carbonation makes it seem like there is less sugar it manipulates your body. If you need to stay awake then have a coffee or tea, try not to drink drip coffee idk exactly why but it makes the caffeine stronger if it is dip coffee and caffeine stresses the heart.

14. Yogabear

Yogabear Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Soda is like all drugs with caffine that it can be addictive. In many cases, people don'toverddose but I watched or rathe listened to the affects of someone on ultra soda/pop on television fairly recently. I forgot wht show like National Geographic or something or Travel Show or Reality T.V that a woman in New Zealand killed herself by over drinking soda/pop. Just something to consider to think of it as a chemical that can be life threatenining.

15. starfish

Yeah I've been trying to get that money off my back for years. I managed to go 2 weeks once.

I have managed to cut back a lot. I've quit buying it at home. I usually drink tea at home. At work I usually have 2-3 during the day.

The weekends are the hardest. I find my self going out to eat just to get a soda. Maybe one of these days I kick it.

16. counterspade

Caffeine in soda is addictive, yes. I drink it and coffee regularly for its caffeine content and overall taste. My second addiction is nicotine, as I smoke cigarettes. Well, I did. I've been smoke free for three days, now. :slight_smile:

17. Xochipilli

Ugh, liquid calories. Most foul.
    xD

18. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try and cut back, but i would at least recommend brushing your teeth after each can to cut back the sugar damage to your teeth.

19. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. For me sugar, specifically.

Did l get addicted to smoking after doing it more than most people l know? NOPE. Alcohol? No thanks.

Gave it up like it was nothing, MTND l had an addiction to. You have to kick man.

20. June Cleaver

Yes caffeine is a very addictive drug, diet soda with Nutra Sweet which goes by a diffrent name (aspertaime I think) these days is even more addictive, btw it is in all sugar gum too to make you chew more. Also sugar is addictive too.