1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever pretend to not know about typical gay things so you seem less gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwoMethod, Jan 27, 2013.

1. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was watching an episode of The New Normal, where two gay guys use a surrogate to have a child.

One is the typical stereotypical "camp" gay guy, while the other is less camp and a bit more manly.

The camp guy always accuses the more manly guy of pretending not to know about things that are typically popular among gay people so he seems "less gay". I can't remember the exact examples, but it made me realise that I do this sometimes.

For instance: I love One Direction, and I know all their names. But if I ever want to bring them up in conversation, I pretend that I can't remember "the guy with the curly hair's" name i.e. Harry Styles — just so I don't seem like I'm too interested. (Or other stuff like this. Like I watch episodes of Glee just to see Grant Gustin, but I tell no-one.)

Other times, I know that there is something I could like that is stereotypically gay, but I don't even give myself the chance to like these things.

I don't have internalised homophobia (and least I'm pretty sure I don't), but sometimes I just want to appear like one of the "regular" guys. That's probably a bad thing in many of your eyes.

Other than that, I'm extremely open with my sexuality and most people know. I'm not a closet case.

Does anyone else do anything similar?

2. Divopix

I do the One Direction thing :roflmao:

3. Jordz

I'm not really sure if I have done anything like that but I might have.

4. GabrielTai

Nope, because I am genuinely confused by most things in pop culture :slight_smile: People always look to me and expect me to explain gay culture stuff to them and I'm like "Uh..I am not the elected official responsible for this? Ask Ellen."

5. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahahahah! I'm going to say "Ask Ellen" sometime. That's funny.

6. GabrielTai

Yeah. I just direct everything to her, cuz I suck at "being gay" according to the few gay guy friends I have.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely not. I want to be seen as queer.

8. Xochipilli

It's actually kind of funny, but a coworker mispronounced Louboutin and I wanted to correct her. I'm not a diehard label/brand guy, but I wanted to say something, yet I didn't because it would have seemed stereotypically gay to know a French shoe designer.

9. mithrandir

HAHAHAHA omfg this is amazing, welcome to my life! I posted about Grant in a few other threads but no one seemed to know who he was. I really actually kind of hate Glee (the story at least, the songs are pretty good) but I watched every episode of last season just to see Grant. I laughed so hard when I read your post :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I like 1D as well, to a lesser extent, but like you I could never let anyone realise I know all their names (Louis is my fave btw)

10. Oddish

Oddish Guest

"Ask Ellen." Love it.

11. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    kinda. With really obvious things like that, which for men would be One Direction lol.

lf you're out l say it's not internalized homophobia. When people say that to a person in an attempt to justify their EXTREME gayness l'm a little :confused:

You don't need to make yourself fit into the box. Nothing wrong with benig stereotypically gay either but sometimes those people are overcompensating.

For me l feel like any time l'm really putting any premeditation into my personality or my "gayness", l'm done. lt's false. l'm not going to think about whether or not l will tell people if l like the Indigo Girls or not lol.

But aside from that l don't have an extreme interest in all things gay, so l don't have to deny too much of this.

12. vyvance

I don't have to pretend. I just don't know anything about them to begin with.

13. FemCasanova

Oki, I am a lesbian, and not a gay male, but I don`t see how the difference can be that big even on this stuff, so I`ll give my opinion. There`s nothing "lesbianic" about me, other than the fact that I like boobs. I am a Sci fi geek, that`s pretty obvious. I like languages and proper writing, which also is pretty noticable. I speak correctly. Also, I am a polite and nice person. That`s obvious, as I am always polite, even when people are acting like jerks. Those are qualities about me. Me being a lesbian, that`s a sexual preference, it has nothing to do with my personality, so there`s nothing to "hide". I could not seem less lesbian if I tried. The only way would be for me to constantly and loudly declare my love for penis everywhere I went. Or always point out handsome guys when I watch something with someone, rather than remark on the nice set of female attributes.

I have nothing to hide, and my sexuality is not a part of my personality. It affects my choices regarding dating, but if I was suddenly straight, I cannot imagine my personality would change. I wouldn`t suddenly like romance movies, rather than Sci fi, or bleach my hair.

So, no. I have never hid a thing, there`s nothing to hide.

14. FruitFly

Most of the time I genuinely do not know, which causes a bit of friction sometimes. I genuinely know very little about what may be called gay culture, so when people expect me to be a fount of knowledge they're left disappointed and/or prone to accusing me of being deliberately difficult.

It's not my fault I'm not hip :frowning2:.

15. hello1992

YES! I am not out of the closet so i have an excuse.

sometimes i may less interested in old Britney Spears and Madonna songs. I also told my friends i have never seen twilight (even though i dont find either male leading actors attractive), I limit my conversation of desperate housewives and ugly betty. I also try and add the straight-related comment when someone asks me and which female actor i like. The onyl awkward things is when the topic goes on to gay related things.

Like one time my friends asked eachother if you were gay who would you fancy. Now some of you who are on EC have probably realized i have a massive crush for Matt Damon. This is true. All of a sudden i began panicking and thinking of was in which my answer could be interpreted as me being gay. In the end i paused and pretended to think so that it would seem like i don't already know the answer to it. Luckily he apparently has a hot wife so my friends said good choice.

16. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my God how did I not see this post? That's amazing XD. In fairness, Grant Gustin is a pretty amazingly attractive person! He's so hot.

17. Munyal

I do this! It is more of a secret that I know and like 1D than my sexuality (which is still a secret to many):lol:

18. DanD

I remember doing a quiz recently, and the answer to the question was the diver Tom Daley. I just sat there hoping that someone else on my team would know it just so that I wouldn't have to say the answer, It's so pathetic lol.
    In my head I could just see them all pointing at me and saying 'Whoa, you must be gay'.
    Note: Louis is my fave too, he's perfect.

19. Jacek

When I was in the closet- yea. Now no way, to me that would just be denying myself and I've done that for long enough:slight_smile:

20. kem

kem

I might have done that in the past, but I don't remember doing it in a while.