1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I become de-sensitized to gay slurs?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonderingdave01, Jan 27, 2013.

1. For those not offended by gay slurs. What is your secret? I absolutely hate gay slurs. Those words hurt.

2. GabrielTai

Use them in fun :slight_smile: Call yourself the things that people call you and make fun of it. Turn it into a joke.

3. ForceAndVerve

How do you mean? Do you mean if a person calls you a faggot in a hateful way? Coz that would piss me off.

My group of friends (including me) call eachother faggot, gaylord, penis breath, raging homo etc. Are any of them homophobic? No. I mean I actively participate in the banter and it just becomes second nature with my friends. I guess when your bearly offended by anything and have a no holds barred sense of humor, it just doesn't show up on your radar.

4. hello1992

just think that its just words, not necessarily true and they are probably wrong themselves. I dont get offended by words like fag because its just a word. People only get offended because it is meant to offend them...

5. surfer 16

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unfortunatly when your still not out to everyone like I am you hear hateful things from random people, friends, and even family members about gay people right in front of you. I just generally ignore it since I here it all the time living in the back water town that I do. But it is completely up to you how you deal with it: you could try ignore it:dry:, you could remind yourself how desperate they are for an insult that they target sexuality:rolle:, maybe you could just think calming thoughts and calmly correct them(if you want to aproach them):eusa_naug, or even just laugh at how wrong they are.:thumbsup:

Hope this helps at all

6. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I played a lot of sports growing up so I have been called every insult possible by opponents, It got to the point where you realize that its just words.

I never understood why someone would try and target sexuality with insults. When ever someone tries to use it as an insult like "your a faggot" I respond with " yes, I am" Embrace the hate I guess. I'm not ashamed to be who I am, so someone trying to use that as an insult doesn't really work.