1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"US soap viewers demand gay kiss"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by interstella, Mar 4, 2008.

1. interstella

i found this on BBC news and i remember that this was discussed recently on the forum:

here is the article

Fans of a US daytime soap opera have launched a campaign demanding that two gay characters kiss more often.

Viewers of As the World Turns are writing to CBS and have set up a website to count the time elapsed since Luke and Noah last exchanged a kiss.

They first kissed in August - which is thought to have been the first gay kiss shown in a US TV soap.

But they did not smooch at Christmas or Valentine's Day, which some fans have called "extreme".

Roger Newcomb, a fan of the show from New York who is leading the campaign, said there was widespread support for the couple's ongoing storyline.

'Creative decision'

"We applaud the show for this, but just don't understand why they have to be censored or treated differently," he said.

Mr Newcomb criticised the decision to show the couple declaring their love at Christmas, when the camera panned away to a sprig of mistletoe as they were about to kiss.

"I've been watching soaps for decades and that doesn't happen," he said.

If they were not going to follow through with it, they shouldn't have started it
    As the World Turns fan Theresa Webber

Jeannie Tharrington, a spokeswoman for the production company behind the series, said there was no kissing ban and the mistletoe scene was a "creative decision".

Barbara Bloom, the CBS network's head of daytime, has come out in favour of the two characters' relationship being developed.

"If this means there is a natural progression to the physical relationship, then I would support it," she said.

Weekday serial As the World Turns has been aired on US TV since 1956.

Another fan of the show, Theresa Webber from Boston, said: "It's 2008. It's something that's real. If they were not going to follow through with it, they shouldn't have started it."

yay!(!) :eusa_danc

2. Alexander

Honestly. They need to kiss already. I've been watching for like aaaaaggges and there hasn't been any action between them. All the straight couples were doing stuff forever ago.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think this is great that people are crying out for this! Our world is changing. :slight_smile:

4. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They're probably taking it slow just to be safe. This is new ground for them so they probably want to gauge people's reactions before moving forward. If there is enough good response I'm sure they'll move things along faster.

5. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

But seriously, this long? It's so annoying :frowning2:
    They need to kiss... aaand get in bed already (!)

6. Kimi

Is only gay viewers complaining or the whole viewers??

Altho, I think it would be nice if there are more gay kissing:grin:

7. Alexander

They have only kissed for real twice since they've been together. Ahh and did I mention that some of the straight couples have been in bed and stuff :grin:

It's not only the gay people who want the gay kiss btw.