1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is it so hard for us to admit we're wrong?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NickTsuki, Jan 27, 2013.

1. NickTsuki

NickTsuki Guest

I really have this problem, I'm stubborn and even when I know I'm wrong I fight like ' I know I'm wrong but...' I know many people like this and I'm not judging as I do find it hard to admit I'm wrong but why is that? Rationally I have nothing to lose and that's silly but it still happens, what do you think about it?

2. MerBear

i do it all the time but im a tarsus , what can i say?

3. lxlJDlxl

It could be our ego.

4. Acobi

Acobi Guest

HONOR! I'm not really sure but I think we naturally just want to prove our point cause in our mind, we rule the world. Just like arguing about simple things we never really want to backdown cause we just want others to see what we see.

It is definitely harder to back off and just accept someone's opinions, even if they are right. I have one buddy who will literally argue his way till his grave, and I am like the same way with him because it is kind of fun to have different opinions and try to prove each other wrong-even if we never reach a decision :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. jvn95

I attach my way of thinking and my ideas to my ego.

That's why I'm stubborn.

6. djt820

Because everyone is egotistical to some degree. People think being proven wrong is shameful.

As for me, I love when I'm proved wrong. It's an opportunity to learn something.

7. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I make every attempt to admit that I'm wrong, but I've got an ego the size of Texas, which tends to make it difficult to admit defeat. Most of the time my argument ends when the other side gets tired and gives up, something I kind of want to work on, but hey, I love politics, that's what it seems to be about.

8. sugarcubeigloo

This is really interesting. I think I may be the complete opposite. I'm always second guessing myself. I'm also usually very quick to apologize or concede, even under the most trivial of events... even when I'm probably right. I mean, I've become less passive since I've become older, but I could definitely benefit from some of everyone's confidence in here.

Honestly, I don't think its all that bad to have trouble admitting that your wrong. It shows conviction at least. Coming from someone who had no issue retreating, I can see stubbornness being a good thing sometimes. :slight_smile:

Why do you do it? I mean, who wants to be wrong... then admit it? :lol:

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's because we feel like others will pounce viciously in the moment of vulnerability rather than accept, magnanimously, the admission of error.

10. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    For me, I see it more as being stubborn, which I can be. The trick is, I'm more than willing to admit that I'm wrong, and I don't mind since I love learning new things. But, I like to explore practically every avenue, nook, and crevice before I do. It's not so much not wanting to finally admit I've been incorrect about something, but I want to be really sure that I'm actually wrong, and I want to make sure that the person and I are on the same page.

Secondly, I just merely love debate, and so exploring details is something I like doing. Sometimes that may come off as me not wanting to admit I'm wrong or putting it off, which I can see why from that perspective.

11. Xochipilli

Well said!

12. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel this is part of it, as well. I don't believe people would have as much trouble admitting that they're wrong if some people didn't pounce on this vulnerability like a deprived lion upon a baby gazelle, as if they should be ashamed. Guaranteed, some of them probably should be ashamed just because they go into something believing that they're right and can never be wrong. But still. There is a difference between pointing out a person is wrong and explaining why to them, and being completely immature about it and pointing at them like a child like so many people do. Passion is inevitable when debating some things, but having tact when confronting a person who is wrong is a quality that, in my opinion, is becoming increasingly rare.

13. Hexagon

I am careful not to state things as fact unless I'm totally sure. Its much easier that way.

14. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    mm. l don't know.

According to one ex who was also my DEAR friend l'm "not even stubborn", but can be the "most stubborn person alive."

lol. So l thought he was right. l'm really not stubborn, usually l guess l don't want the responsibility of being "right" DYWIM?

Like if l'm right, l'm what, in control of the other person or something? l can't really define it but it's like l don't want to be involved enough with another person's emotions to even put myself in the place of being "right".

OTOH l don't budge in some respects, l'm not sure what triggers it but if l don't want to do something, there's no communication and it will not happen n_____n

But in these cases l know l'm not wrong so there's no reason for me to admit it xD At least as far as l'm concerned.

---------- Post added 27th Jan 2013 at 08:09 PM ----------

This too. Just don't do it and have an open mind, you won't be wrong so much lol.

15. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah me too! in case I'm wrong, I'll be too embarrassed.

But when I do argue I can get pretty offensive.

16. Yogabear

Yogabear Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm like the way the guy from Philly talked about with the flight impulse. There is something in psychology on fight or flight syndrome and most humans choose to fight not me that much except under anxiety. I was never meant for the military, police, fire men squad or whatever just would literally break under the stress and hurt more than do good! Its probably the insstinct to survive on your own imbeded in your dna but I'm an evolutionist not a creationalist by any means. A last thought is you have to separate the objective truth being sensation from perseption or opinion on rational vs irrational basis to find true knowledge.

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is it, in a nutshell. Admitting one is wrong is acknowledging vulnerability and imperfection, and for people who have issues with self-worth (which is a byproduct of shame), it is very, very difficult to do that.

Basically, people who tie their self-worth to being right can't handle it when they are not
    right, even when it's proven to them. So the more you work on your shame issues, and realize that it's OK to acknowledging that you (as well as everyone else) aren't perfect and don't know everything... the more comfortable you become with yourself, and the less it matters whether you're right or wrong about any specific thing.

18. LiquidSwords

Chip's called it. People who have a hard time admitting when they're wrong have confidence/self esteem issues.

---------- Post added 28th Jan 2013 at 02:27 PM ----------

Same with people who feel the need to brag or show off, just shows their insecurity.

19. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  20. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a normal response when an enlargement escalates to frustration/anger. Once you start feeling those emotions, your urge is to "win" at all costs, to not admit defeat. It stems from the whole fight-or-flight instinct most animals have, and due to our intelligence, manifests itself more subtly in everyday interactions.

I tend to do my best to bail out of an argument when I realize that it's lost it's rationality, when no one is going to admit they're wrong, and people (myself included) are just going to keep getting angrier.

Well, as I said above, it depends. If they're always like that, than yes I'd say they have self-esteem issues. For example, I love debating with people, and if they're willing to just talk, and have a good time, so am I. If I'm having a relaxed debate with someone, I'm perfectly fine with accepting I'm wrong. I strongly believe in supporting one's opinions with evidence/logic, you'd never hear the "Well, we have different opinions, that doesn't mean I'm wrong" bullshit argument come out of my mouth (it is true, but almost never in the way people use it, that is to say that they are right until proven otherwise). I'm a logical person, I stick with the "Wrong until proven right" philosophy when it comes to opinions (including my own).

However, I know that if things get out of hand; me and the other person are getting angry, I have trouble admitting I'm wrong. It's because once those instinctual aggressive impulses kick in, it's very difficult to calm back down while still engaging the person. I usually need a minute or two to just sit quietly and relax before I can be rational again. I believe this to be a normal aspect of human behavior, what's important is that you recognize that aspect of yourself and learn to control it as best you can.