1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accounting as a career

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anon2012, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Anon2012

Hey. Anyone here ever work or know anyone who works in accounting?

It's something I'm thinking about as a side career if needed and something to study. It seems like something that has potential to be a sustainable career as well as room for growth for people who do it.

I'm starting to work with my cousins company which I think has potential but I think it couldn't hurt to have another profession on hand in case it's needed.

#1 Anon2012, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l have a friend who started at around 70K entry level.

She's very cut out for it. l don't think most people would be necessarily "bad" at it, but l know it's not for me. l'm just not the type, and l'm in CS so my major is boring in its own special way.

But if l were the type l'd go for it, especially as a side gig.

Also know an actuary who is ballin sonNnNnNnN

3. ChandlerCurious

I have an accounting degree. I have found that it is pretty easy to find a job even in tough economic times because all companies need accountants. The downside is after a while accounting can be a bit tiedious after being in the field for a while. I am now on the audit side of things because after years of doing the day to day accounting I needed a change

4. prism

I'm an accountant, though it's not what I'm studying in college. Like everyone else said, it's a very stable career and you can make decent money.

For me, it's a means to an end. I'll only be doing it until I pay off my loans and help my family with their finances. I would definitely recommend interning so you can get a feel for the environment and the routine.

5. hello1992

I know a fiar bit about accountancy, although i am studying Economics. You are right, it can get you a very long term and successful career.

Its worth noting though that you can become an accountant regardless of what degree you do. You can do the accountancy quantification such as ACA, ACC etc. Some firms may even requrie you to still do these even with an accountancy degree. If you are unsure of your interests then maybe consider a different qualification (i assume a degree?) and then go into accountancy. The thing is, if you decide you hate accountancy (not gonna lie, many find it boring) then its hard to do stuff outside accountancy with your accountancy degree because the skill set is so specific. At least if you do something less specific then you can have a lot more options (e.g. sciences, economics, engineering, finance...).

Maybe research into your alternatives first?

6. Anon2012

I guess I was thinking of it as a means to an end type thing. I guess also to have the option something to study on. Music is personally a interest of mine but I don't have the energy for it now so I'm curioud sbout finding something engaging that could be worth doing.

At the moment I'm working with a cousins company but I want the option to go independent or maybe even have a side gig.

I think one of the confusing things for me is when I was younger I didn't pay much attention in classes so I'm not sure if I might have potential for some subjects that I didn't really try in the past. Various things can be interesting tho - politics, economics, internet, music, etc.

7. DanD

When I was at school, we did 'work experience', and I remember putting down three choices (all banks) as I wanted to get into the financial industry. I ended up working in a bike shop for two weeks, and the ass of a boss didn't even sign my form to say i'd been there.

I'd love to do a course now, to help sort my life out as I'm sick of being poor (no TV, no heating, no money or friends), but if you're over 19 years old you have to pay a lot for a course, so it's something I can only dream about.

Go for it - and good luck!

8. Jim1454

I'm a professional accountant here in Canada. I have a CMA (Certified Management Accountant) designation. As you might guess, the focus was on management accounting rather than external reporting / auditing / financial accounting.

It depends on where you are and what designation you pursue. Having a CMA has allowed me to do a wide variety of finance roles in the companies I've worked for - not just accounting. I've done planning and forecasting, mergers and acquisitions, system implementations, process improvement projects, as well as more traditional accounting type roles.

Granted, none of these types of jobs are perhaps as exciting as being a rock star or marine biologist, but they do pay the bills. If you think you might be inclined to work with numbers then an accounting career might be for you.