1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It is just me or..?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Reptillian, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Reptillian

My father and mother from what I hear in the past is not approving of homosexuality (one is a strict catholic and the other one is atheistic), but however, they are not assumptive about someone being a homosexual. I can literally show them a video such as the justforlaughstv video about a male stripper stripping to the females for the laugh and they would not assume that I'm a homosexual. Heck, I even hug a guy and they wouldn't assume. But however, from what I heard, they wouldn't approve of homosexual activities. I'm not the kind that wants to get involved into LGBT politics, so, don't tell me to ask. I'm speaking from personal experience.

So is this odd or what? Am I the only one?

Then again, I heard about south korea attitudes that negatively affects homosexuals and it strikes a chord to this.

#1 Reptillian, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    my mom isn't religious but wouldn't pick up on that. She doesn't associate male strippers with the gay scene which is LOLz.

She thinks Tom Cruise is handsome and very not gay.

She's not sheltered either, l can only think of one gay male that she's known though and she thought he was into her :confused:

Honestly though a lot of straight women 50+ seem to be this way, although some may also be religious and denounce it, that may not be way they don't recognize it.

Adding that she actually detects lesbians well, has had lesbian friends and sometimes is suspicious of straight women being lesbians. l don't think she communicates very well with men and that it extends to how she perceives the gay ones too.

#2 OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  3. counterspade

I believe parents' views on homosexuality can be biased...until they discover their own child is a homosexual. Then their methods of thinking get either broadened or narrowed.

When I told my mother I was not straight, she was very supportive. She and I are more like friends than parent / son. My aunt was the one I had the hardest time telling. She was a born again Christian, and was not open to the idea of homosexuality at all. In the Bible, God condemns homosexuals, and she was very adamant in telling me I was going to Hell, but will not stop loving me while I'm alive.

Even my grandmother was more supportive in a hilarious way. She talked to me about it and questioned me and my 'lifestyle choices'. I explained them to her (over the phone as she lives in a different state), and she simply said, "oh, well whatever floats your boat, sweetie."

4. MixedNutz

I recently came out to my mother and she is upset that she never could tell but others could. I think a lot of parents are jus in such denial they believe what they choose to believe. She said well you had a gf (yea 14 years ago). Sometimes the only way to let them know is to be upfront because they will choose not to take hints.

5. Reptillian

@counterspace :

I never told my father I was asexual while I told my mother once (I claimed to be asexual before I ditched all sexual orientation label) and never even brought up a girlfriend. I don't think they really give a shit about my sex life as long as I'm not with a guy (not interested into guys myself for certain reasons). Just out of the blue, my mother told me 'it's ok if you're gay' and I responded with :confused: emotion just wondering if she's even my mother as I already know her beliefs, and long after that incident, she's in the stance of apathy toward homosexuals or something from what I'm seeing. My father well is also apathetic too. I thought the fact that I have never talked about a girlfriend or have one would be something they'd be alerted about, but nah, they're not that assumptive.