1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uptight about parenting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WillowMaiden, Jan 28, 2013.

1. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Why are some people so uptight and judgey about parenting? Specifically, I'm talking about stuff people do to heal a kid's cut or help a baby through teething.

I'll give some examples from my childhood:

When I was baby and teething awful bad my Grandma would rub whiskey on my gums or dip the tip of her finger in sugar and let me suck on it when I had baby hiccups. Worked like a charm. Even today when I get an awful toothache or am just coming back from the dentist, I skip the pills (or forget to fill the perscription) and just rub some whiskey on it.

When I was a tot and would run around getting scraps and cuts or bee stings and all that my Mom would cut open a cigarette, wet the tabacco and put a band aid over it. Any time I got a cold my Gran would cook up a batch of hot lemon, whiskey, and honey.

When I was a little older, maybe 7-9 years old, and I couldn't get to sleep some nights, I would sneak off to see what the grown ups were up to. My Gran always gave me a small glass of funny tasting juice (which I learned later was rum and honey) then take me back to my room, rub my hair for a bit and I'd be out like a light. Those were good times. My brother was a fussy little bastard when he was still on the bottle so my Mom would put a spoon of whiskey or rum in his bottle. Everyone got to sleep through the night. Oh and once I got a bad nose bleed, so my Uncle Charlie gave me a dime and put it between my bottom lip and teeth. Stopped the bleeding full on and I got a shiny new dime. :grin:

I don't see what so wrong with these things. No these weren't every day and night occurances. They're just little things you do every once in a while if a kid's got a bad case of something minor. I never saw the point in some parents rushing to the children's hospital every time their kid gets the hiccups. 4 year old falls and scraps his knee and they're putting fucking surgerical bandages around the whole leg and scheduling an appointment with Doc first thing tomorrow for X-rays and the like. :lol: Over react much? Put a damn banana peel on it and let the kid finish running around for the day. Got a bee sting? Rub an onion on it for 5 minutes. No need to rush him off to the ER. Good gracious. :rolle:

I understand that for serious things actual medications and precautions are needed and should be used. Some people, though, get all up in arms over the little things like this and it's annoying. And I'm not saying take a 5th of scotch and a bump of coke to your baby's mouth if it won't shut up or hock a lugey on an open wound and tell him to "walk it off." I also realize that putting kids to sleep with like a bottle of NyQuil and shit is bad, so I'm not saying you know "yeah drug your children from age infant-9. Better yet just get high while you're preggers and he'll come out quiet as a mouse." No, not saying that. What I am saying is that doing those little things my Mom and Grandma (and other parents) did aren't as drastic and dangerous as the stuff I have bolded.

The only reason I bring this up is because I was on a different site and on one of the forums, a woman asked if she should rub some rum on her kid's gums to help out his teething pains. She had tried all these other medicines and they weren't working for him, so she just asked if she should do the whiskey thing that was done to her as a kid. Then in a flash some of the Moms got crazy. Calling her a bad mother for drugging her kids and saying stuff like "that's not okay, what's wrong with you, you'll make your baby retarded," just all sorts of crazy shit. I'm thinking "holy hell ladies. :lol: Take the placenta outta yer ass for a second." They basically attacked the woman for reaching out, it was ridiculously self righteous and over dramatic.

My bottom line with all of this is really just: don't judge. If someone isn't harming or killing their kid, then there's no need to be judge their parenting skills or worse dictate how they should parent (as if they all have the holy guide book to ultimate parenting.) That's what annoys me the most: some parents popping out a kid, shoving their heads up dotor's asses, and then coming out thumping their baby books in people's faces and telling 'em they're "doing a dis-service to their child by doing A,B, and C." Fuck off with all that. So long as someone keeps their rugrat alive, healthy, and happy they've done good. ....:dry: Just annoys me. I'm not saying all parents are like that, but everyone knows that one couple or that one person that wraps their lives around their kids and acts all severe about everything. They usually say ridiculous shit like "My Jason does exceptionally well with climbing, it means his frontal lobes are linking very fast for his age" and "Dr. Novak said it was important to keep children ages 2-4 away from preservatives in today's produce, the chemicals are bad for their brainial development."

"...I don't wanna hear that your Jason might be the next Einstein 'cause he can hold on to the monkey bars the longest and at the rate he's going he wont have room for PB&J, seems to be filling up nicely on sand. Oh yeah, he's a shoe in for Mensa that one." :roflmao: I seriously said that to this woman who was annoying the fuck out of me at this park while I was watching my little cousin. My little guy went to share his sandwhich and she snatched it away from her kid and started spouting off about processed this and that. Needless to say, I got her to leave me be.

So yeah, there's my little rant about that. I don't care if people don't do those old school home remedies and stuff, it just annoys me when some people that don't do those things get down on others who do. Don't be so uptight. By that I don't mean do the things I would, I just mean don't get all up in arms over someone else doing it. That applies to so many things.

2. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    don't take it so seriously dear.

l won't make a statement here but l'll just say that some people get some kind of gratification from judging others(mostly because they are boring and mentally deficient) but that they aren't even taking it as seriously as you think.

Like in 10 minutes they don't even care...lol. Usually it's about riling the victim up. lol at branial development. Anyway l have been the vicitm of more than one such angry mob in my day and it's really just a game l'd rather no longer participate in lol.

#2 OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

I know, I shouldn't pay it any mind, it's just so...obnoxious sometimes. Still, it's just people trying be all important for 15 seconds.

4. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    that is exactly what it is lol. You have to perfect the "l'm sorry WERE YOU SAYING SOMETHING?" aire of NGAF :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

:lol: Will do.

6. Alexander69

My mother loved me a lot more when I was younger she loved having babies I remember when I was about 5 my mother never went traveling and shopping like she does now she was at home with my brother and I and I had such separation problems from her because she did love me so much. Now it like you can do everything yourself your old enough attitude. But my mom always tells me stories when I was younger when I'm sad she tries to make me happy she will tell me how I ran in to a wall and I cut my head and had to have stitches and how she had a panick attack she only saw blood and thought I was dying and rushed me to emergency LOL I've been clumsy my whole life LMAO but I still enjoy my mothers company she's just so shallow that I can't have fun with her when we do things we go downtown it go to a mall and then out to eat then home that's it it's so boring. My mother raised me to be shallow and superficial and i have been and I am trying to change that I'm making progress slowly every day I think. But some will say my mother and father raised me terribly and it hurts when someone says it but it gets more when you know they are telling the truth :frowning2: LOL